1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camo Patterns

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Cr0wb4r, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

I am going to have to agree with you on the ACU/UCP pattern being mostly useless. The only time I have seen it really work is with flowered couches from the 80's, then it blends right in. :p (source is internet pictures)

Carhartts are a personal favorite for me as far a comfort go, might try that. :D

Anyone here know anything about us4ces transitional camo pattern? I would love to get my hands on a jacket using that pattern, just to try it out. Most of the info I can find on it is purely from hyperstealth the company who made it, and most of their pages are dated 2013 or earlier. They also say that the version designed for the Army isn't available to civilians at this time because it is still "in the running" in the bid for a new camo pattern. Also dated information (as far as I am aware.)

T.H.Cone and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cr0wb4r
    ACU works surprisingly well in gravel pits... and it looks good from a presentation standpoint, but there's a good reason why the Army is moving away from it. Last I heard, the Army was starting to phase in some Multicam gear- my information might be wrong though.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. marcclarke

marcclarke Loaded Pockets

The Army just announced (last week) that they have selected a new pattern which is extremely similar to Crye Multi-Cam.

thatotherguy and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Yup, the new US Army ACU uniform pattern is called OCP (operational camo pattern) which is based on Scorpion W2 which again is of cunning resemblance to the original Crye Multicam.

This will gradually replace both the UCP and Multicam ACU and ACP variants currently worn in the operational theaters. Since they only announced the garrison uniform replacement not the combat one, the material used will be 50/50 NyCo.

I couldn't locate so far any info on fire resistant combat ACU (FR ACU) variant made from FR Rayon mix but this one should follow soon.

Reportedly these new ACU uniforms will be made available from 1st July from Army military clothing sales stores. I'll be getting a pair of new OCP ACU pants as soon as I can lay my hands on one.

New OCP ACU uniform photo
    [​IMG]

Cr0wb4r and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I completely agree---
    There are so many camo patterns today--and too many of them are simply Gucchi-flauge...

Cr0wb4r, T.H.Cone and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  6. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I don't sweat it too much. I don't hunt deer or elk very often, but when I do, I think they are more concerned with my movement and smell. As far as I know, they're colorblind, but someone can correct me if that's an old wives' tale. Plus, what color are deer, elk, moose, coyotes, cougars, jackrabbits, chipmunks, prairie dogs...? Most land mammals are just some simple shade of brown or tan. And they're plenty hard to see when they're standing still in vegetation. So dull brownish clothes are probably all the camouflage you need for most wilderness areas.

I do like the idea of being able to conceal myself in the woods if I want to. I don't know why, it's just fun. I also tend to like the look of military camo patterns, but I don't buy surplus BDUs anymore because I'm not a veteran and I think it might seem inappropriate. There are plenty of old, retired and foreign patterns available at surplus shops, or simple commercial options in other stores.

7. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

The US military is currently conducting extensive research
    on this topic, so that there's not one single pattern for all
    environments

8. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

That is kinda how I feel. Do I need to completely disappear? No, but knowing how is fun, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. :cool:

babola When you said:
    I was not aware that combat uniforms were made of different materials. What are they usually made of, if not a 50/50 nylon/cotton mix?

Stutz and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Since 2010 onwards all of the US Army combat uniforms for the forces deployed in the Middle East theater have slowly migrated from NyCo Ripstop towards TenCate Defender M FR material (mix of FR rayon, para-aramid and nylon). This is only true for ACU/ACS+ACP combat uniforms, not garrison and field uniforms which are still to this day made of NyCo Ripstop. Soldiers in ME theater are now issued 4 FR ACU combat uniform sets per annum, instead of NyCo. US Army soldiers on other deployments around the world most likely still wear standard NyCo Ripstop uniforms, though.

Australian and New Zealand defense forces followed the suit for their forces deployed in ME. While US Army combat uniforms mainly follow ACU pattern, Australian and NZ DF went with modified Crye Precision G3 combat shirt and pants, made by local contractors out of FR heavy-weight twill and to the lesser degree light-weight FR Ripstop.

Last edited by babola, Jun 9, 2015
    T.H.Cone, Smead77 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.