1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camo Patterns

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Cr0wb4r, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

Ok, so if this is off topic, or in the wrong spot I apologize.

Anyway, we all edc in a variety of environments. Truly blending into an urban environment, IMHO is fairly easy to pull off. Jeans, a t-shirt, and a plain bag aren't going to be calling any attention.

However when it comes to the great outdoors, it seems like there have been a lot of recent developments of outdoor camo patterns. For me this question really hit me when looking at the new EVADE pack, and the different pattern possiblities. I have been aware of multicam, ATACS, and kryptek for a while, but recently I have asked myself, how do you pick the best pattern for the areas you frequent?

How do I decide which ones work best for me without blowing a couple grand on tactical shirts/pants? (those things are expensive!) Does anyone know of any real world test results or a reliable source that reviews camo in a critical fashion?

Just looking for opinions. :)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Camo really is region and season specific. One pattern that may be good for spring/summer may not be as good during the fall season.

Where I am, desert camo (DCU pattern) actually works well in the fall, during spring and summer when the leaves are green, it depends.

Cobra 6 Actual and thatotherguy like this.
  3. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Regional hunting forums are a good source of what hunting camo patterns work well in such and such area in such and such season, as far as Realtree or Mossy Oak type stuff. As far as military camo I don't know of anything that breaks it down by US regional areas.

T.H.Cone and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Like has been said, a lot depends on where you'll be at. Where I hunt a lot out in West Texas caprock, I wear some tan Carhart bib overalls. The red dirt out there matches my coveralls to a T.The aoudads seem to not even notice me unless they smell me or I get a bit too close, and they catch me moving.

And, to add to that, I think folks worry to much about camo clothing. Wild animals in general see movement more than anything. I've killed many a deer wearing plaid flannel shirts and jeans. As long as I was still, and not moving, they never saw me. I do have some camo. And, I mostly wear it when I'm bird hunting for doves or ducks, and turkey's. They see much better it seems than big game animals. I usually wear Real Tree in a spring or fall pattern, or Mossyoak. Both have worked well for me bird hunting.

One thing I've noticed over the years in many hunting camps are fella's who will dress up to the hilt in camo, and then hunt in a box blind where no animal would see them even if they had on a bright red tuxedo. Even elevated in a ladder stand or tripod, it probably wouldn't matter much if you wore camo as long as you were fairly still. Never made much sense to me. But, the hunters enjoyed wearing the camo.

5. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

I stuck with Multicam/OCP pattern. It's generic and fits many if not most environments. That plus the fact for me it's emotional and I simply love Multicam clothing, especially uniform pants.

You can call me an "MC bitch" ;-)

6. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Can you please define, "Blend in?" If you're trying to blend in, say in the great outdoors, at a burning man festival, I'd say Birkenstocks, cut offs, and a really dirty t-shirt with a marijuana leaf on it. Don't forget plenty of patchouli oil. .

If you want to blend in on a day hike on an established trail, hit up REI.

If you're trying to hide from animals, mley1 covered it.

If you want to hide from human observation, you need to add local foliage to whatever you have on to break up the outline of the human form, especially the head, and remain very still, or if you must move, move veeeeerrrrrryyyyyyy slowly. And don't look directly at your quarry.

Modern camouflage uniforms "hiding" someone from view is a myth. It's main goal is to attempt to confuse the observer's ability to properly "range" their target (you) causing them to miss when they shoot at, and/or have someone else drop something on you.

The military has tons of studies on camouflage that are accessible on the Internet, but if you really want to blend in, get a Ranger Handbook and look at the camouflage section. You don't need a pattern, just some neutral colored clothing and Mother Nature provides the rest.

The camo patterns really just look cool.

Sent from a device.

T.H.Cone, Cobra 6 Actual and Cr0wb4r like this.
  7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Prairie ghost.... red neck tie dye ......so pretty

Cobra 6 Actual, MTFatboy and A4VC like this.
  8. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

Interesting, I had no idea. That would make sense though.
    Do you happen to know of any links to any of those tests? I would be interested in reading about that. I did find one PDF that was released after the military determined they wanted to go with multicam, which was rather interesting. I would enjoy reading up more on that.

I guess I just see some of the new patterns like multicam, kryptec, and other digital patterns and wonder what makes them "more effective" or "better".

9. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

I did kind of a crappy job of explaining camo above. Start by looking up stuff written by Thayer and Cott. They can explain it better than I can.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2674077/

In short, what you're asking about is Crypsis, which makes things difficult to see (kryptek and scorpion/multicam), and Mimesis, which makes things look like something else (real tree). The goal is invisibility but we're not there yet so degrees of difficulty is all we can hope for. Mimesis doesn't work if the object is moving. Trees, rocks and bushes don't walk or drive around. Crypsis only works if you supplement it or augment it.

The camouflage techniques that work best, which we haven't figured out yet, are transparency (go figure) and adaptive mimesis, ie something that mimics the background you are passing in front of as you move, in relation to the line of sight of the observer.

The bottom line is, no matter what camouflage pattern you choose, to really blend in and remain unseen, you have to employ supplemental camouflage techniques to complete the desired effect. Breaking up the shape of the object to be concealed, ie the human form, is one such effective technique.

Everyone was all gaga over multicam, kryptek, and other patterns and they are all "the best!" My question is best at what? I think they are each the best at whatever environment the were specifically designed for.

Don't get me wrong, they are some really good patterns, MUCH better than the acu pattern they're getting rid of, but definitely not the be all, end all to camo. If so, why did each of the manufacturers all roll out other patterns for several different environments? My point is, a person who was taught how to camouflage, and who has the discipline to keep up on their camo, is way harder to detect, no matter what clothing they are wearing, than someone in whatever Gucciphlage pattern who wasn't/doesn't.

Sent from a device.

10. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

LOL, OK...if you say so.

Cobra 6 Actual and A4VC like this.
  11. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Best for not being seen by deer, ASAT, Optifade, or any light earthtone and knowing how to move in your environment.

Best for avoiding people think 3 dimensional ghillie suit or the like, or simple basic earthtones that border on tans (tend to reflect near colors) or greyish hues (some think greys are harder for our brain to process and we are more likely to misidentify it).

The real lesson is it is motion that gives us away, not many things move like a human.

warchild Lynx MTFatboy any opinions.

Stutz, marcclarke, T.H.Cone and 2 others like this.
  12. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

BINGO!!! We have a winner!

13. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

In the rifle season here I have to wear 400 square inches of blaze orange, so camo is pointless. In the archery season, I wear a pretty eclectic mix. Like swany66675 said, movement is the biggest visual clue we give, and it also makes noise. Small, contrastive marks accentuate movement, which is one of the reasons I don't care much for most of Kryptek's patterns.

I don't think there is any magic pattern. I look for colors that blend with my surroundings that break up the visual pattern. At the moment, my bowhunting outfit includes prairie ghost, Cabela's Open Country, Cabela's Outfitter, and Multicam. I like plain old military Woodland in the timber, and I've always felt the old three-color desert would work well in the sage. I haven't tried it, yet, but did request my EVADE in that pattern.

For people, I was taught that a decent pattern is only the beginning. Breaking up facial patterns and contours and the human silhouette are essential as well. I still have some leftover face paint, I think from my infantry days. I used to keep some camo burlap on hand for cutting into strips. These days, I don't bother keeping that sort of thing on hand anymore.

I don't like patterns that are too compact, that is, made of shapes that are too small. Over distance they seem to fade an amorphous color that still has a very human outline. This includes the digital patterns the military has used for the last decade or so, and the deciduous patterns (Mossy Oak, Realtree, etc.) most pervasive in sporting goods stores. ASAT and Multicam are probably the most versatile current production patterns, IMO. Multicam has some small, contrastive markings too, but I like the fairly equal distribution of greens and tans in the background for the terrain I hunt in most -- timbered prairie, you might say. I can't seem to find ASAT readily available in my size, though. As far as the OP's question about reviews or objective comparisons, I can't say I have any useful information. I've never found any objective comparisons, and have built my preferences mostly based on observations over the years.

Cobra 6 Actual and swany66675 like this.
  14. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

I hadn't thought much about the contrasting markings accentuating movement. Another interesting thing to take into account.

So far from what I understand, camo is a tool that needs to be used properly for it to be effective. That includes using the right camo for the right terrain, and reducing movement. Anything else I am missing?

Another note, most of my hunting grounds are in the west including places like Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, etc. Mostly mountainous areas that include a mixture of some dull green and some brown. I found an article "hyperstealth.com/camo-improvement/index.html" that was rather interesting. Multicam tied with another pattern that I didn't recognize for first place in the mountainous regions.

Cobra 6 Actual and MTFatboy like this.
  15. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I hunt in Montana, and I would have gone with multicam except that I already have a 3-day pack in woodland that will work well in Western MT. I felt like 3 color desert would work well in the prairie where I live now.

Cobra 6 Actual and swany66675 like this.
  16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

It really does depend on the place, the season, and the background you're trying to match. Around here (Kentucky) Multicam tends to work pretty well for all seasons. It's not perfect, but it does alright. I've been told that ACU works pretty well with the tall dead grass that tends to grow in clearings around here- but I'm not sure if I believe that (IMHO ACU is about as useless as a camouflage can get). Supposedly the Navy SEALS used to wear woodland blotch top halves and six color desert bottom halves in California- the upper region of the foliage was green and live and the lower part was dead, so all one pattern would stick out like a sore thumb.

If you're using this camouflage for hunting, we can't help you nearly as much as I'm sure we'd like to. What works here would not work in California, which would not work in New Mexico, which would not work in Wyoming. If you want to find out what works in your areas, find a good, experienced hunting guide and ask his or her opinion. He or she probably knows what works and what doesn't in your area like the back of their hand.

A4VC and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Great discussion, guys ... Keep going! One thing I might add is that back in "the old days" neither the military nor hunters wore specific camouflage clothing at all (although some elite units did in WWII). What was emphasized was:

1. darker colors versus lighter/brighter ones,

2. stealthy movement ... if at all,

3. strict light and noise discipline,

4. breaking up the human shape (usually with foliage), and

5. breaking up the weapon's shape.

Interestingly enough, "camouflage" was viewed as being composed of two components: 1) Physical ... much of the stuff listed above, and 2) Mental ... thinking and moving (only when absolutely necessary) like a non-human animal, situational awareness, settling the mind, developing total focus on the task at hand, etc.

Even without modern camouflage clothing many, many successful military operations as well as animal hunts were completed.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jun 7, 2015
  18. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Except Bigfoot.:)

Cobra 6 Actual, A4VC and swany66675 like this.
  19. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

20. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

All kidding aside, I think you are just fine with a green Carhartt hoodie and tan Carhartt pants (especially if they are dirty/stained). Better still if you can get off the ground (like in a tree stand).

Stutz, Froley, swany66675 and 2 others like this.