1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camera strap attachment

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by pjm106262, Dec 8, 2014.

1. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

i recently got a nice mirrorless camera, and I was wondering if any of you photography folks have tried any alternative methods of attaching the camera strap to the camera.

I'm thinking about using a small s-biner to easily attach the strap to the camera for easy removal. If anyone has done this or any other similar methods please share.

Thanks!

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What typically happens with something that is easily attached to something is that it can just as easily detach; sometimes when you are unaware. Avoid that crappy S-biner!

T.H.Cone likes this.
  3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Im with 0dBm - you want a nice secure attachment to your camera, otherwise it will let go at the worst possible time

I dont know which camera you have, but there is a few options for quick strap removal
    1. blackrapid - a lug is screwed into the tripod thread and a strap is clipped on/off easily - there are versions that play nice with tripod plates too
    2. Peak designs slide and leash - have little disk with a cord loop that you girth hitch through the cameras strap lugs - these lock securely into place on the strap
    3. The leica strap attachments, An easy to install half split ring is installed through the strap lug, and a locking piece holds it in place - only available on the Leica strap, or a custom modified version (i use a modified one on my Leica M)
    4. Lance straps and gordy straps have little QR things too, but they look too much like flimsy old mobile phone lanyard connecters to me.

You could also go strapless - i carry my work DSLRs on a Spiderholster system, which i find works really well

4. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Been using those lockable small s-biners for the last few months to test them out. No problems with the locks so far, but the s-biners themselves have been getting in the way. So going back to attaching my paracord camera straps straight to the split rings I have on there. Not as fast to take off, but more secure than just about any other way :D.

5. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. I'll look into the different methods echo63 mentioned. Seems like split rings will work fine, they are easy enough to take off, just don't want to deal with the factory method.

Tornado, what size s-biners are you using?

The camera is a Sony a6000.

One reason I want to be able to quickly detach the strap is because I store it in a pelican case and the strap gets in the way. I'd rather roll it up and store it in its own cut out.

6. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Theyre S-Biner Microlocks. I think there's only one size under that name. Theyre called Microlocks online, even though it says Slidelock on the s-biner itself? :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MCPOWoller likes this.
  7. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a batch of peak design stuff. Some of it really isn't sized for my kit and I'm still decided what to do with it, but I'm very happy with the products overall.

8. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

I use and love the versatility of my OP/TECH USA System Connector Uni Adaptor Loop set.

9. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

I use the BlackRapid Rapid Strap and absolutely love it. Great for quick deployment and the carry position (strong-side, behind you) keeps it out of the way when not in use. I've used it with a 30-55 lens and a 55-200 lens so long lenses work fine too.

Has a locking carabineer that prevents it from coming off too easily, but will come off quickly when you are done and need to bag it. I leave the tripod mount attachment on it all the time.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If you like really esoteric gear Novoflex (the makers of the DinO pan and tilt head) makes a products called the MCS (MiniConnect System) that attaches a small coin sized disk to either the tripod hole on the camera or the tripod hole of a tripod ring on a long lens. The disk can then be quickly connected to a base. To release the disk/camera from the base, two sliders have to be activated simultaneously.

[​IMG]

The base can be connected to
    1. a strap
      [​IMG]
    2. worn on a belt
      [​IMG]
    3. mounted on a tripod.
      [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This video shows the system in use, with strap usage shown at around 8:30. The narration is in Russian, so those whose lingual repertoire doesn't include that tongue, you just have to follow along with the visuals.

ATB,
    Sam

11. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I use a neck strap from gordyscamerastraps. com. simple leather strap and not too expensive

12. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

The thread is about attaching the strap to the camera, not the strap itself ;).

pjm106262 likes this.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

If you don't wish to deal with a split ring, consider a Fixed Eye Snap Shackle.

pjm106262 likes this.
  14. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I use a system similar to Tornado's on my Fuji X-E2. I use the triangle split rings and a recycled strap from my quantum battery pack. Sometimes I prefer a neck strap and other times just a wrist strap.

I may have to invest in that idea of yours Tornado!

15. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

They hold up fine and make switching straps easy and fast but the problem is they get in the way of the handling of the camera. So after months of testing I'm back to just split rings.

16. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

2 of my rigs. I like the safety of the wrist strap when not going far, but the shoulder strap for carrying around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

With my mft cameras I use a combination of a wrist strap and a Blackrapid Metro.

I have a few wrist straps I got off ebay that I have permanently attached to the normal strap lug with the OEM triangular split ring - a lot of the time I am happy with only these as I find the size and weight of the camera lends itself to just being carried in hand. This does leave the strap attached permanently, but it is small enough that it is easily tucked under the camera when storing it.
    When I do want to put it on a proper strap, the Blackrapid straps (for my mft, the smaller Metro version) screws in to the tripod mount on the bottom to give you a nice secure fixing (that won't interfere with a wrist or other strap), and the strap uses a locking clip to let you quickly remove the camera while keeping it secure.

There are also a few other alternatives like the belt mounts and so on that allow you to carry cameras with different attachments and mounting styles, though I haven't really tried them.

In terms of using a traditional neck strap, I did look into using something like 10mm side release buckles, McGizmo style clips or s-biners, but never really got around to trying them - I never found a solution I was happy would be reliably strong enough without being overly bulky - a 10mm side clip for example would be a perfect size, but would it be strong enough to support my (at that point) SLR with grip and decent sized lens slung over my back?

I will put in another good word for Blackrapid (or presumably Blackrapid style, though I don't know what other options are out there right now) straps - a great design for easily attaching/detaching the camera, and in use a more ergonomic and fluid way of working compared to the traditional neck strap.

pjm106262 likes this.
  18. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

Thanks again for all the replies, I think for now I'm going to try the micro locking s-biners since they are so cheap and I have a strap already. If they work well ill stick with them.

19. Ben Rubinstein

Peak Design Capture Pro with a Camdapter hand strap (the peak camera plate has the ability to attach the hand strap directly to it). Small in the bag as straps take up a lot of room, very secure when attached and comfortable/fast to work with.

Keep in mind that the cameras and straps are designed for normal attachment. Add metal in between and you end up with worn and frayed straps and a scratched camera.

20. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

This is very true, definetly not for those who want to keep their cameras (and straps) in tip top condition. I for one don't care about dings and scratches as long as the camera works. I don't sell my cameras. I use them until they fail and are no longer worth repairing.