1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camera recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by gadgetjack, May 28, 2008.

1. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

I need a digital camera to share pictures of my gear. I mean take pictures of my lovely wife and children and take pictures of my gear. Anyway, I would like something easy to use (I have limited camera experience) and possibly some editing software to go along with it. Primarily I will be taking indoor and outdoor pictures of the family. It will be the standard birthday, camping, vacation type pictures, including natural and artificial light. Plus of course my EDC gear. I have seen plans for light boxes and the like and am fairly handy in building things. I am ok on the computer and have a 14yr old daughter so that end is covered. (She rolled her eyes and said "of course I use photobucket and if I have to I will show you how to use it") Any recommendations are welcome. Oh yeah, $300 or less for the price point.

Thanks,

Jack

2. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Hi - I just purchased two ... both sub $200 - Samsung L110 for me (8 MP) and the L210 for my wife (10 MP). Both are essentially the same camera. Have face detect and Dual Image stabilization. Both must haves.

The other must have is a rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery.

Both models take SD cards.

KM

3. FlipMag

FlipMag Guest

I'm a Canon fan....I have one of these, I like the portability, ease of use and awesome pics it takes....plus is has a huge viewing screen on the back to show off your photos and bunch of other stuff i never pay attention to....
    Canon SD770

4. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

I carried a Leica CLux for a year, then a DLux 3, which ended up being too big for me, and now a Canon 870is. Those three were each chosen for one quality: a wide angle lens, the equivalent of a 28mm on a 35mm camera. A 28mm is my normal lens, so shooting anything longer than that feels restrictive.

Canon 870is

I'm happy with the Canon so far: enough controls that I don't feel like a victim of technology, enough automation to push the button and let it do the work.

5. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I have used a Canon for many years now and recently bought a Canon PowerShot A590IS for about $180 or less. It has 8MP, plenty of different modes to choose from as well as a completely manual mode, a movie mode, face recognition, optical image stabilization, automatic red-eye correction, uses SD cards, and it runs on 2 standard or rechargable AA batteries. I really like the use of standard batteries and currently have a couple of eneloops in it. I have several friends who have cameras with rechargable lithium-ions that have been caught with a drained battery and no way to quickly charge or replace the battery. Also, the spares can be very expensive. I have been very pleased with this camera. It is definitly worth a look.

6. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

As someone who has been selling these things for the past several years, (at least until about 2 weeks ago), I would second the recommendations of the Canon ELPH series (sd800, sd770, etc). While AA batteries are cheap and plentiful they don't last nearly as long as the lithium ions and a camera that uses AA's tends to be much larger. I own a canon myself, but this year my favorite was a Panasonic. The dmctz3 is well worth looking at. If you need better zoom the tz3 outshines most of the pocket style cameras. I liked it enough to give one to my brother and one to my mother for Christmas. Both Panasonic and Canon come with a full year warranty on their cameras.

7. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

Panasonic DMC-TZ5 is good. The original TZ1 got great reviews (the owner of DCresource wrote that that was the camera he bought for his non-technically minded father) and the TZ5 continues the tradition of one of the smallest superzooms available with a 10x optical zoom and 28mm widest angle, along with image stabilization (required with a telephoto this long), face detection, 9 megapixels and a lot of other features. I've seen them on sale for a little over $200 recently.

8. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

9. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Canon. I bought a Canon PowerShot A720 IS 8MP camera with 6X optical zoom a couple of months ago for $180 and am very pleased with the photos from this camera.

10. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

As someone who works at a camera store....
    Look @ Nikon, but not any point and shoot who's model # starts with an L. The lens will break/jam. Look at a specialty dealer for the Nikon S series. They have instant in store rebates on a lot of models, with new rebates to start next week. Free warr. extension from one year to 3 years. Free belt pouch. Lots of good and bad points to all the camera's mentioned by previous posts, but right now, bang for the buck, this is the best way to go. If you can't find a specialty dealer, pm me.

11. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

My family has had great luck with 4 Canon 'ELPH' series Powershots now. If portability/pocketibility isn't a major concern, one of their larger sized Powershots will probably produce higher quality photos. But in the end of course, it's still up to the photographer to take a great picture.

12. DigitalAlan

DigitalAlan Loaded Pockets

I too am a canon Fan and purchased for an edc camera for my work bag is the Canon 5is - I got it when it "Goes OnSale" at Amazon - I paid $289

This thing is Fantastic - Does it all and many many auto modes and Face Rec so it will focus on the faces and
    it has a macro and super macro mode to take pics of your tools and gear.

Plus you can grow into it as you learn to use it more - You can also get an external flash and can get other attachments as well.

That is my choice that I throw into the ring.

Attached is a photo of a coin I took with it.

And A pic of my Merlin Mug Taken from Across the room in low light

Alan

Attached Files:

13. DigitalAlan

DigitalAlan Loaded Pockets

OOPS Attached the wrong File

Here is the coin

Attached Files:

14. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for your recommendations. I will be going out and about this week to check out different models in person. I have found that cameras are like shoes. I really have to try them on before I buy online.

Thanks again and I'll give an update when I order something,

Jack

15. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Loaded Pockets

2 Canon SD1000's here in the house and we're sold on 'em. :cool:

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

17. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I am a Part time Photographer/full time camera tech and a Massive Canon fan
    but my reccomendation goes to the Olympus MJU 850 or MJU1030 (they might be called the Stylus 850 and Stylus1030 depending on where you are) for a point and shoot camera

My 9-5 day job is as a camera technician, i get to see lots of broken cameras every day, the only problems we really see from the Olympus MJU/Stylus range is when people dont keep the sealing surfaces clean, take them underwater and they get flooded.
    they are drop resistant to 1.5or 2m and water resistant to 3m (850) or 10m(1030) so they are fairly immune to everyday "oopses"
    we also pressure test them at work, and we had a flooded Oympus MJU/Stylus 790 (predecessor to the 850) that was flooded, and replaced under warranty. we cleaned the seal surfaces, and pressure tested it to its normal test depth, after it had passed, we wound it down to double its normal test depth, a little over 13m and it still didnt leak.

DPReview MJU/Stylus850
    DP Review MJU/Stylus 1030

18. sandbasser

sandbasser Loaded Pockets

The latest issue of Consumer Report and reviews and recommendations on Digital Cameras. I don't think you can go wrong if you take them seriously.

I'm now seriously thinking about a Nikon D80. I had just about made up my mind to get a Pentax K20D.

Good luck...

19. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

If you want to record video on a camera, does this depend on the size of the memory card? I need a new camera and a friend recommended Kodak.
    Though I see Panasonic, and Cannon seem to be good choices. My dad is pretty hard core photo nut and said look for a camera that will take more than one form of memory card.

Questions:
    Whats a good amount of zoom?
    Megapixels, more is better?
    Size for easy carry
    Image stabilization, is this a must have?

This is the Kodak I was looking at

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/11920/131/11592&pq-locale=en_US

20. Gordon

Gordon Loaded Pockets

I used to buy only large expensive cameras, until I tried subminiature (almost plastic size). My daughter told me - carrying bags and a child, and having large camera hanging from shoulder or neck, just inconvinient. Then we found small flat Casio and fall in love with it. Good or excellent quality pictures, and convinience impossible to beat. You will not feel it in the pocket.All major manufacturers make them. Perfect family camera. They often are on sale ($100-150). Look for a larger liquid crystall display,- this one feature is important (at least 2.6", better 3"0). To choose betwen brands-? It is mostly subjective.