1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camera Bags

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ObiHann, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

So this may not be a EDC for everyone, I know for me, though I alwayse have a camera of sorts on my, my DSLR and the camera bag don't get out as much as they should, but either way, I want to know what all we keep in our camera bags, heck, even what bag you use. For me here is my list

I have 2 bags, a "city" bag, messenger style, for carrying around while traveling, hiking, whatever, and then my huge Lowe Pro backpack that is either my only bag when I'm not walking all day, or my backup bag to keep in a hotel or something, here is my full list of gear:

- Nikon D40x w/ battery grip + vertical shutter
    - Nikkor 18-200mm DX VR w/ UV[0] Filter
    - Sigma 10-20mm DX w/ UV[0] Filter
    - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Prime w/ UV[0], ND8, Circular Polarized filter
    - Nikon SB400 Flash
    - Nikon SB600 Flash
    - Rocket Air Duster
    - Camera Armour Case/Strap/Wrist Strap (I don't always use the case since its bulky and interferes with my vertical shutter, and the wrist strap replaces the neck strap when I'm not using it all day)
    - Ton of SD cards, Batteries, Cables, Cleaning Clothes, etc

If I'm carrying the small bag (national geographic shoulder bag) I usually just bring the camera/grip, 18-200, and the sb400, then either a 10-20 or a sb-600 (depending on what I think I will need that day)

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Here's mine:

1. 2 Nikon D100's with battery grip
    2. Sony point and shoot backup
    3. Nikon 6006 for film work
    4. SB600 Flash
    5. 2 Sunpak 433D Flashes
    6. 17-35mm Nikkor
    7. 50mm Nikkor
    8. 80-210 Nikkor
    9. Rocket Duster
    10. Fongsphere
    11. Lumiquest Softbox
    12. 6 2GB CF cards
    13. 2 AA Adapters for the battery grips
    14. Lens wipes
    15. 1 Poverty Wizard transmitter
    16. 3 Poverty Wizard receivers
    17. 2 Hot shoe to PC cord adapters
    18. 6 Ball Bungees
    19. USB Cable
    20. Charger
    21. Flash Snoot
    21. Grid spot for flash
    22. Bounce Card/GOBO flag
    23. Mini Maglite

All carried in a Naneu Pro Correspondent 400 bag.

I also carry a generic lighting bag with

1. 2 7 foot light stands
    2. 2 Shoot through 33 inch Umbrellas
    3. 2 Reflector 33 inch Umbrellas
    4. Tripod
    5. 2 Speedlight umbrella adapters

3. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Dang, you folks have a lot of gear.  (and are Nikon nerds  :nyah:  ;)). 

I've got a Canon xTi, 70-200 f/4 IS, and a 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 that I'm hoping to replace with a 17-55 f/2.8 IS.  I need to get a real flash too some day.  I used to use a Crumpler 4 million dollar home when I just had the 17-70, but recently got a think tank photo urban disguise so I could have either lens mounted.  I'm pretty happy with the think tank bag, but my fear about the zipper getting in the way was pretty much justified: having a flap lets you open the bag a lot wider than a zipper allows. 

One positive thing about the think tank bag is that it can be placed in my backpack for additional protection and compactness.  If I get much more equipment, I'll likely have to get a dedicated photo bag, but I like the ability to use the backpack to either carry photo gear more comfortably on two shoulders, or take the inner bag out and have a general purpose bag again.

Before going with the think tank, I looked long and hard at the Lowepro Slingshots and Kata's new ambidextrous take on the same idea.  They have a great design, but the smaller models can't easily fit my long lens while attached, and the larger models have more storage room than I want.  None of them fit very easily into my backpack either.

Judging from the dpreview and other forums, photo geeks go through at least as many bags as they do lenses and bodies.  That means I'm due for another bag after I get my new lens and flash, right?  :idiot2:

EDIT: Little pieces include a wireless remote, lens cleaning stuff, extra battery, and extension tubes (for which I opted for cheap Kenko air instead of premium Canon air).

I wanted to put one of those Altoids-sized rechargeable desiccant boxes in the bag, but they seem to leak little chips of toxic silica gel.  :shocked: :green:

4. Stelth

Stelth Banned

Tamrac makes excellent camera bags. I have purchased several.

5. justmyluck
    • In Omnia Paratus

justmyluck Loaded Pockets

Agreed. While I have purchased other bags since, I always seem to come back to my Tamrac to just take the camera and a couple lenses out. Good bags.

6. jjgi5150

jjgi5150 Empty Pockets

Hi all,

I just went through the research/decision process on a new walk around carry bag for my new camera. I have a Pelican hard case (in OD green, of course) to hold everything in total (all lenses, chargers, flashes, etc.), but I wanted a sling type backpack unit that I could wear, have easy access to the camera, and still carry my Glock and spare mags on my waist/belt. I read up on the camera sites I belong to and the best thing I found was the Kata 3N1-10 KATA. In short, this bag is a top quality, well made item.

The bag has switchable straps for right/left hand wear or even full backpack carry with both straps. The interior can be gutted of camera partitions and it can then be used as a regular backpack. When you slide it around in front of you, pull out the camera, you can even use the bag as an elbow rest for extra stability. It has more than enough extra pockets for the things I want to carry on a walk around with my Canon 50D and a 24-70 F/2.8L. Plus, with a 15$ rebate from the manufacturer through B&H camera the total cost is $69.00. IMO, one of the best values in that market right now. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a good all day camera bag with extra usability.

Take care,

JJ

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am carrying:
    Canon 400d with grip
    Canon 10-22mm
    Canon 35mm f2
    Canon 70-210mm f4
    Canon 430exII

I don't really have a dedicated camera bag, but instead use a few separate cases that I can put into whatever bag I am using that day - so I have a case for each lens, the case the flash came in, and have a small camera bag that fits the camera without the grip (and shuts) but will pad the camera to some degree (but not zip shut) with the grip on. Often I just stick the camera in my bag as is too (I am not bashing my bag around, so it happily sits there amongst my other stuff). This way means I can pick and choose what to carry, and indeed my main bag to suit what I am doing.
    If I am just going wandering in town or meeting friends, I can just stick the camera into my messenger bag with a lens attached (and the flash if I want) and it takes up no room.
    If I am going on a 'photography' outing I can then add a couple of lens cases to that bag, or choose a larger back or whatnot.
    If I am going biking or something else, I can use a rucksack, and then put the camera in the smaller camera bag inside there to keep it a bit safer than it sitting loose, or take off the grip and use the camera bag properly.
    When I was hiking recently I had the camera without grip and one lens, put that inside a drybag to keep it safe and packed it in the top of my rucksack for travelling.

I have never really seen the appeal of a designated 'camera' bag - they are great for the camera stuff when everything has its own slot and is all nice and safe, but are a pain for using with the other things I might want to carry like my EDC and jacket and so on, my way I can pick and choose what to carry and what bag I want to put it in to suit both the camera and other equipment I want to take.

8. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

:iagree: In the end, you either need a modular system or different bags once you get more than a couple piece of gear. Sometimes you really only want a single walkabout lens. Sometimes, you need to take everything and then some. Sometimes you go on a trip where all of these situations happen, and you want to keep it compact and lightweight to boot.

(And we haven't tackled those annoying tripods, which are difficult to pack anywhere.)

9. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

:iagree: :iagree:

I have over 15 bags now, some for video, some for still work. some big some bare bones.. some I dont even use but I got them at a yard sale for like... $2! (cant pass up a good bag at all)

I switch alot between my Lowe Pro minitrekker (EDC camera bag) and the Lowepro slingshot when Im out and just need a camera/ spare lens, extra card, lense pen and extra batteries. Most of the rest sit around with other tings like external hard drives or computer cables in them.

10. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Although I don't usually EDC my camera, it's ready to go whenever I need it in my LowePro sling bag:

- Nikon D50
    - Sigma 28-70mm
    - Sigma 70-300mm
    - Lens hoods for both
    - battery charger, cable
    - handful of cleaning items
    - camera manual

It's the smallest LowePro sling bag, so I don't have any room for anything else. But that's okay, because I don't have any money for anything else, either! ;)

11. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

Tamarac Adventure 7 (5547) used to house Nikon D40 + 18-200 Nikor VR Lens and accessories. Don't need as much room (like you guys... ha ha) as some of the other Adventure/Expedition bags Tamarac offers. Really like the way you access the camera gear (can do it without removing the pack... just "sling" it to the front) and it rides very nicely. We took it to Europe and humped it for 2 weeks... no issues. Plenty of room for other EDC stuff too :D

12. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

My real problem is not actual use on outings, but how to travel on airplanes with my gear. I don't want to check all the gear, so I only put the tripod (with ball head and RRS clamps still a considerable investment) in the checked baggage and put the body and glass in carry-ons. I already have my EDC bag as a "personal item" so my backpack has to fit my actual dedicated camera bag, my laptop, gorilla pod, and other accessories (chargers, cables, Nintendo DS, etc.) I liked the sling-shot type camera bags a lot, but they can't fit into my laptop backpack, meaning I would have three carry-ons, which isn't an option. At the same time, bigger camera laptop bags with enough room for everything (incl. laptop) are too inflexible, as I don't always want everything when I'm out shooting (see above post).

13. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

Have you thought about the computrekker... camerabag and laptop bag combined?

14. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I think I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for an all-in-one solution because anything big enough to carry everything will be too big for the many times I want to only carry a subset. This is what I meant in my July post. I hope to always be able to survive on 2-4 lenses, which my solution of mid-size case + extra lens sleeves should handle. Even if I go nuts and become a pro with a dozen lenses, I can't see myself wanting all 12 on me at all times. I'll pack all 12 in one big case to take on the plane, but I'll want a smaller case or two that will handle a 1-2 lens job, a 3-4 lens job, etc.

BTW, my review of my current case.

15. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have a Lowepro Pro Roller 2 as my general gear transport case.
    basically gets dragged from the office to the car.
    from there i have a Kata belt Pack, that carries a bottle of water, spare batts and cards, Flash Power Pack, 2x and 1.4x Canon Teleconverters, and either a 50mm Macro or 24-70 f2.8L
    on each shoulder i have a Canon 1dmk2, left side has a 16-35 f2.8L and the right side has a 70-200 f2.8LIS, both with flashes.

seems to work ok for me, for normal work.

big events (normally motorsport) have me carrying a bigger lens (300 or 400 f2.8) on a monopod.
    i generally have the 70-200 on a shoulder, and the 16-35 and spare batterys, flash etc in a Camelbak Rim Runner, along with 3l of water or gaterade

I have done the whole "carry everything with you" bit before and it does not work well, after a day of it you are stuffed.

the wide angle, and short tele, will cover 80% of jobs i go to, the rest need either a teleconverter, or the macro lens. which are easily carried in the waistpack.

i do have gear bags galore though
    crumpler 7million dollar home
    lowepro computrekker plus
    lowepro compudaypack
    lowepro slingshot 200 aw
    Kata Beltpack
    and a selection of Sigma lens pouches, that have belt loops/ have had belt loops sewn on (worn with an old nylon duty belt)

16. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I have a camera bag from Case Logic.They make all sorts of camera bags at a fair price.

17. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

18. dodge_911

dodge_911 Loaded Pockets

Yup, me too, but I'm more of a Lowepro guy :
    [img width=426 height=640]http://brol.docgonzo.com/got/loweprotower.jpg[/img]

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

As a bit of an update, I got slightly annoyed with all the 'extras' that I want to carry along with the main gear - spare battery, spare memory, lens cloths, remote, etc... so bought a couple of generic pencil cases - I now have one loaded with most of the small extras I need for the SLR so that can easily be grabbed and chucked into my bag along with the rest of my gear.

I have done the same for my compact too - the compact either has a slim padded case for pocket/bag carry or a larger and tougher belt case I can choose between, plus a pencil case that can be chucked in my main bag with a small gorillapod, cloth, battery and so on.

The one other purchase I have made lately for the SLR is a Canon 60mm f2.8 macro lens - it makes an excellent two lens kit with the wide angle for what I am normally shooting, and is an absolutely stunning lens (with a rather nice macro too) :)

20. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

@Narco what lens carriers (tube shaped single lens bags) do you use? I'll soon be in the market for one. All I want is light padding: the lowepro ones are built tough but almost too stiff and bulky for what I want. My intended use will be to have the lens carriers within another bag, so light padding is all that's necessary.

@60mm macro yeah I've been tempted to get the 100/2.8 L IS Macro but the costs are a bit insane. The 60 is nice and compact. If you don't need a lot of reach, I can see it being great for traveling.