1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camera advice needed

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by rhuarc3, May 11, 2014.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Many of the mirrorless systems are quite decent, but most of them suffer from a drawback that I really hate: They do not have any form of built in optical viewfinder.

I have played around quite a bit wit an OMD-EM1. Although I liked it quite well, the electronic viewfinder really bugged me. It is quite OK, one of the best I have tried, actually, but it cannot be compared to an optical one. The colors are a little bit off, it is just a little bit harder to recognize burned out highlights, and it seems to lag just a little bit. Not much, but just enough that photographing surfers in action was significantly harder than it would have been with a decent optical viewfinder.

For snapshots and for landscape and portrait photography, none of these problems are very serious. However, they do make a mirrorless system just a little bit less ideal as an all-round camera for a serious enthusiast.

MangeD700 likes this.
  2. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Sungame - i agree completely, i too prefer a proper optical VF.

But for most people, an EVF is acceptable, and has the advantage of being able to show other information, like a live histogram, level, focus peaking, highlight warnings (dont know of a camera that does that one in LV yet)
    And may be completely natural for those who are used to their phone or a point and shoot camera.

sungame likes this.
  3. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I'll join in on this friendly Canon or Nikon discussion.

Bottom line first, you will take good pictures with both cameras. You simply have to learn how to use the camera. Experiment with all the settings and above all have fun.

I found this list of likes and dis-likes for both brands.

Reasonsto like Nikon:
    -User Friendly
    -Better Interface
    -Better Pictures right out of the box
    -Touchscreen (again not me the wife but it is cool)
    -Great Colors in daylight
    -Awesome Customer Service
    -Better Ergonomics***
    -Fast Live Feed

Reasons to not like Nikon:
    -Poor Customer Service
    -Non Touchscreen (wife)
    -More complex (you really got to mess with it to achieve stellar pics)
    -You have to buy a lens because the kit lens sucks
    -Not as ergonomic
    -Slow live feed

Reasons to likeCanon:
    Better video
    -User Friendly
    -Better Interface
    -Better Pictures right out of the box
    -Touchscreen (again not me the wife but it is cool)
    -Great Colors in daylight
    -Awesome Customer Service
    -Better Ergonomics***
    -Fast Live Feed

Reasons to not like Canon:
    -9 focus points
    - Slower focusing in some settings
    -Built-in flash overexposes
    -Not as cheap to sync to iphone
    -Concerned once the Nikon has the 35mm f1.8 lens that this one couldn't compete

I don't have an iPhone so syncing with my Note 2 is a matter of transfering the photos from my computer to the phone, not at all a difficult task.

I have been using a Canon EOS60D for several years and have taken many pleasing photos, a few really good ones.

You will horror stories and great stories from Canon fans and Nikon fans. The competition reminds me of a gloval version of America's Ford vs. Chevy discussions.

Take time to play with both brands. Bowrrow from a friend if possible, visit the few stores that actually have cameras. If you have any reasonalbe creativity, you will take great photos, just not every time you shoot.

If you wind up unable to make a decision, flip that coin and make the purchase.

Then show us some pictures!

4. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Canon vs Nikon is really a matter of which you like better and seems more intuitive to you. I'm a Canon man.

More important is your ability to understand and use the camera. You need to know the impact that shutter speed, ISO, aperture, white balance etc. will have on your photos. Buying the nicest camera available does you no good if you just set it on "P" and start taking pictures.

sungame likes this.
  5. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

My opinion,

Buy the best body you can afford. The glass, lenses, are where the magic is. Better the lense better the photo.

I use a Canon 60D for my hobby which is taking wildlife pictures. I love the canon, it's a super camera. So my simple suggestion remains, get a body and save for some great lenses.

Sent from a wondering soul.

sungame likes this.
  6. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Loaded Pockets

A question that may help you decide ...are you going to shoot video?

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

7. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have to disagree about the kit lens, at least if you pick the right kit. When I bought my first Nikon, I went for a kit. One of the reasons I chose Nikon to begin with was that their kit lenses were much better. The 18-70 mm f 3.5-4.5 I chose was lightyears ahead of Canon's equivalent, and also much, much better than the Pentax 17-55mm that came with the Pentax I bought for work some years later. The build quality was much better and sturdier, and it also had a bit less distortion, especially in the long end.

Granted, many years have passed since then, but unless Canon has dramatically revamped their kit lenses - or Nikon has for some reason decided to go cheap in newer kits - I think there is still reason to believe that Nikon's kit lenses are at least as good as anything Canon bundles in their kits.

8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Either way, don't buy a kit. Kit lenses can't keep up with kids. Just get a 35 f/2 and a 50 f/1.8

As for Cannon vs Nikon, it's all preference. If your friend has GOOD lenses, get whatever mount s/he has unless you like one or the other. I've shoot both, and I prefer Nikon only because of the controls. I'm a little faster with them. There's no difference in photo quality that you'll ever see....if you're convinced the is, ditch digital and go medium format for less money than a better digital, but you'll never get a pic of your kids with it.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

As a decent semi-pro amateur photographer, I can offer you this advice (from a photog who had a metric ton of high-end 35mm film cameras and lenses). It's simple and sweet...

A camera is absolutely worthless if you don't have it with you when the moment presents itself.

In the old days it was relatively normal for people to cart around gobs of camera gear with them, but not anymore. Today, even phones have high quality cameras in them. I don't recommend phone cameras though (because they're "phones", and not cameras). However, I do recommend getting a camera which is small enough and portable enough to always have in your pocket, bag or nearby. You don't need a quadruple-ultra-eleventy-nine-peta-pixel Ninja model with a 10,000,000,000x zoom and (61) lenses. What you need is something you can pull out of your pocket and take a decent quality picture with on the fly.

Just my .02

gemini and rhuarc3 like this.
  10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Yes and no. If you are content with decent pictures, by all means, most modern compacts will give you that. On the other hand, if you want good pictures, I would recommend upping your game a notch or two.

First of all, the OP mentions children. Children are notoriously hard to photograph, as they tend not to hold still for very long. Some cheap compacts camera have a bit of "shutter lag", which means that golden moment - and the child - may have already passed by the time the camera actually makes the exposure.

Second, for anything but quick snap shots, I think having at least some control over parameters like shutter speed, aperture, ISO settings, focus and flash modes is a big plus. While many compacts have settings for this stuff, it is often buried deep in the menu system, all but inaccessible when you really need it.

You do not necessarily need to buy an DSLR to have control over these parameters, let alone to take good pictures. Still, I would say that it pays to step up a notch or two from the smallest, simplest compacts.

Both Canon (G1X, G16), Nikon, Fujifilm (X100S) and others make great "advanced compacts". They are not the smallest or cheapest compacts around, but they do take great pictures. These cameras will not fit in your pants pockets (even cargos, I think), but can be carried in a jacket pocket or a small bag.

There are also many mirrorless systems around that have a lot to offer. They are bigger than compacts, but smaller than full size DSLRs. When it comes to features, they also fall somewhere between the two other options.

The OP asked for advice on two DSLRs. Personally, I think a DSLR offers the best control of both process and results. If you really want to take good pictures, this is the way to go. A modern smart phone will serve you well enough for the simplest snapshots and for documentation purposes. If you want something better to supplement it, then a DSLR is the most versatile, powerful platform out there. Granted, it is a bit of a lump to drag around, but in the end, I think you will appreciate it - or at least the photographs you take with it.

11. emoragaf

emoragaf Empty Pockets

Take a look at the sony a6000, great size, aps-c sensor, hybrid phase AF, compact kit lens, very good oled Viewfinder.

12. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I´m a Nikon fan.... I use my D700 whenever i can, the photos i´ve taken with it couldn´t be possible to take with a Point and shoot camera. The life starts at f/2.8...

The best lens i´ve had is the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G , fast focusing and sharp!!!. Nowadays i go lighter, i prefer to use my legs when zooming in, so i use a Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G prime lens, pretty great lens.

[​IMG]

A Nikon D700 aren´t too expensive either atm, if you can find them.... I know one thing for sure though, i´m keeping mine.

@SAKplumber , you don´t have to correct this, i already done it ;)

Last edited by MangeD700, May 29, 2014
  13. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Realistically any modern DSLR is going to be great for your purposes. The differences are subtle and pretty much meaningless to anyone but a serious photographer. Get whichever one fits nicely in your hand and in your budget.

One thing I would advise, especially with active kids, is get the fastest lens you can afford. Something in f/1.8 or even 1.4 for indoor action stuff where a flash is not appropriate or not useful. With the zoom the come with most camera packages and a fast fixed focus lens you are good to go in almost any situation.

Also, I worry less about long lenses these days. With camera now having 20 plus megapixel CCDs you have plenty of room to zoom in by cropping. Unless you have a specific need for it really long telephoto lenses are not worth the money anymore.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

sungame likes this.
  14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You will grow tiresome of carrying those two models; particularly your wife.
    Research the physically-smaller and lighter-weight mirrorless camera format offered by Olympus and Panasonic.

15. Stinger

Stinger Banned

I've got a feature-loaded, frightfully expensive, Olympus camera hanging on the wall over my desk. (I'm looking at it right now!) Know what? IT'S A, 'MAN CAMERA'! My wife absolutely hates it, and thinks it's way too complicated to use. She won't even pick it up!

Recently she complained to her sister about how she was sick and tired of using her cell phone (Which does have very good resolution!) for taking all of her pictures. So, what does her sister do? Last month she gave her a new, 'WOMAN'S CAMERA' for her birthday.

It's a nice, lightweight, easy-to-carry, and easy-to-operate, 'little sucker'. I've, also, been forced to admit that it takes really great pictures, too. The camera is a Samsung, Model ST72. I put a large, 64 GB, high speed memory card in it, added two extra batteries, and a spacious little Samsung case - All for less than $200 dollars!

Wal-Mart sells the basic camera. I went to Amazon for all of the accessories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

I think we've gone a bit further than necessary with this discussion :). Since OP already has his preferred models, all that needs to be done is go and try them out at the store.

17. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Perfect combination of lenses.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

18. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've sold both the 14-24mm f/2.8G and the 24-70mm f/2.8G. The only ones i have left is the 35mm f/1.4G and a normal 50mm f/1.8G lens. They are sharper, lighter and less bulky.... But sometimes i miss the 24-70... :/

From Northern Sweden

19. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

After the night i have had, Can i get you to explain that to my boss please ?
    If you want to get close, the best way is by walking, failing that, a longer lens
    The last option should be cropping.

While its possible to do, and get reasonable results, you really are better off using the right lens for the job

20. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I will differ with VinceRN. If you ever try photographing wildlife at a national park then a tele is a must. Most animals in the wild, bears, coyotes, wolves for example cannot be approachec closely or in the case of bears, safely. A long tele, 400mm full frame or 640mm with Canon's APS-C sensor on my 60D. The lense I splurged on is the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM. Heavy, not that heavy unless one wants to hand hold the camera. A bit slow in dim light. However it is a sharp lense, focuses well in all but the lowest light. Very shallow depth of field and autofocus is spot on every time. That bokeh or shallow depth of field open up selective focus options. One can achieve shallow depth of field results with a fast f2 or f2.8 200mm lens, but the price of fast short tele's is prohibitive.

I rather like to keep myself distant from bears when trudging through the foothills of Denali in a few weeks.

MangeD700 and vinniec5 like this.