1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camelbak Urban Assault Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Soulriot, May 8, 2011.

1. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

I have had the Urban Assault for about two months and only really used it on one trip. The main purpose for this pack was for airline cary-on. I have it prefilled with TSA friendly items and like that it has a seperate paded area for a laptop or my iPad for quick removal.

Comparision shot next to a Rush24. The Urban Assault has one strip of loop area for a standard name tape or a 3" one and the mini TAD gear USA flag like I have.
    [​IMG]

The back showing the pading. If you look close enough you can see on the left side a hole for the hydration tube when placed in the laptop/hydration section.
    [​IMG]

Showing the straps. I had no problems with them and as seen later they adjust
    [​IMG]

This tag is on the left shoulder strap showing off which model it its.
    [​IMG]

This is the attachment point where the straps start at the top of the pack. They adjust for your chest.
    [​IMG]

This is a shot of the top. You can see that the zipper pulls have paracord with a metal tube that allows for eazy use. Also the zipper are reversed making it look cleaner. The laptop area also has the waterproof zipper type.
    [​IMG]

Ok now we move onto the pockets. First is the stash pocket that is secured by velcro where the name tape area is. Lifting it up allows limited access, but once you undo the compression straps, you are given full access. Inside it there is the large stash area and a small velcroed pocket.
    [​IMG]

The velcro pocket will allow a magazine inside folded in half.
    [​IMG]

The stash pocket allows for the magazine to fit with no problems.
    [​IMG]

Moving on to the next pocket is the admin area. There is one pocket away from the body the allows storage in the mesh pocket and then there is one bodyside behind the admin pockets. I like the light colored liner for easy visibility. Also for some reason the mesh pocket is not sealed at the bottom allowing things to go behind it if needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now we are at the main compartment. Not too much orginizationhere here. Body side there is a elastic mesh pocket which is good if your using a blader in the hydration area and want to put your laptop in the main area.
    [​IMG]

This is the oposite side has a pocket which is fleece lined. This is good for glasses or even maybe goggels.
    [​IMG]

Ok this is the best shot I could get for the laptop/hydration pocket. There is padding all around and you can see the paracord hanging for the blader to attach to.
    [​IMG]

This is the top media pocket. Its fleece lined and will fit your mp3 player/phone/ or glasses as you see fit. On the outside there is a ipod like image indicating its use so be aware.
    [​IMG]

A nice side shot showing the placement of the side pocket. Both sides are identical. I also want to mention here that all the areas that would have strap ends have built-in velcro strap managment that keep them from dangeling.
    [​IMG]

The side pcokets are padded and were designed for either water bottles or your laptop accesories like power cords and what not.
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot with a freebe 5.11 bottle. They should fit most of the bottles sizes that we all use.
    [​IMG]

All in all I think its a very well put togther pack that serves it purpose well. Camelbak really gets things done well.

snowkiwi likes this.
  2. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

Great review. Thank you very much!

3. kdunnett

kdunnett Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the review.

4. milox

milox Loaded Pockets

Great review, Thanks.

5. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

GREAT Review, You have me thinking about trying it.
    Soulriot, I see you have the RUSH 24 what do you think of the Camelbak compared to the 24. I have been carrying my 24 for about 2 years and I love all the organization. I am looking at other bags and just can't seem to find something that "jumps" out at me.
    Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

6. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

I like the straps better on the Assault. The Rush has a lot more pockets in the main compartment but I feel the admin area are almost the same. With the Assault, it's more geared for laptop transport than the Rush. It all depends on your needs.

7. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

Nice pics. I wish they'd offer that pack in more colors. With just something like a medium gray and a coyote/tan I think they'd sell a ton more of 'em.

8. HybridMomentsPass

how large is the main compartment, front to back whats the measurement?

9. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

You have 5" depth and 10" wide but due to the design it will fit a little more in taking away from the admin and shove-it areas. Also I just realized that you can store away the compression straps if you want. They will completely disappear in their own small pockets.

10. tomp

tomp Loaded Pockets

very nice

what brand/model is the other one?

11. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

The green one is a 5.11 Rush 24.

12. Rabbit

Rabbit Loaded Pockets

Great review, It has me thinking of this VS the covrt 18 as my edc bag.

13. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

Thanks and just to throw a monkey wrench into your decision making Camelbak now has their CCW version that appears to have everything mine has plus all of the carry options.

14. HybridMomentsPass

I got the XL, but the Concealment bag was a strong option, i do like how it has the concealment pouch at the lower back.

15. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Nice work.

Is there a frame sheet along the back, or is it just padded cloth? Is this bag about the same size as the Rush 24?

I have one of the CCW ones coming but Camelbak is trying to limit them to police and military. Most places you have to call and have some kind of .gov ID. Buncha dopes.

16. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

It's a little taller than the 24 and has no frame sheet.

17. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

Thanks, mine should be here next week.

18. andiem

andiem Loaded Pockets

Where have you been able to get it from? All retailers I found required LEO/Military ID or credentials... :-(

------
    Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

19. andiem

andiem Loaded Pockets

I was talking about the CCW..

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

20. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

I fibbed ;)

Not everyone requires you to actually provide ID and some sell to security, military or leo. Look around ;)