1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Camelbak HAWG Review (Word and Pic HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by CheepSteal, Oct 20, 2012.

?

How's my review? (first real review)

1. Too long/boring

4.9%
  2. Too much irrelevant info

4.9%
  3. Just right

100.0%
  4. Needs better layout

4.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. silverspurr

silverspurr Loaded Pockets

Nice review, thanks for taking the time.
    Personally.... I prefer the original Military issue H.A.W.G. which is no longer made.
    It was 1000 denier Cordura had no hook and loop a.k.a. Velcro all over the front.
    (it's mostly air softers and survival folks that plaster "patches" all over the front)
    I don't like the new versions/models of the H.A.W.G. which use 500 denier Cordura, have zipper pulls that are now thin cordage only tied in a knot as opposed to the original version that had a hard plastic duraflex plull, the new ones no longer have a soft tac lining in the upper pouch.. and in general they are not at all Mil Spec.
    I wrote a review about the Original Military EAG-73000 SERIES H.A.W.G. you may like to read it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/RCS3DA8M8FTG/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000K0WVBQ&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=3375251&store=sporting-goods
    I own a H.A.W.G. EAG-73000 (black) and a H.A.W.G. EAG-73100 (DCU -Desert Tri-Color Camo).
    You can see the orig. Mil. Spec. H.A.W.G.'S here:
    http://avimar2.8k.com/cbag.html

2. Hanselgaitan

Hanselgaitan Loaded Pockets

That was a great review!! I like the fact that you took the time to take detailed pics of everything. It's nice to see such a detailed review because a lot of us are hesitant to buy online if we haven't seen something in person. Thank you for doing what manufacturers should be doing and showing a bunch of pics instead of the generic 3 photos they always put up. I really appreciate the review because this has finalized my decision on getting a hawg!

Lynx likes this.
  3. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I saw in another thread that CamelBak was coming out with a new version of the HAWG (the Mil-Tac) this month. I preferred the version in CheepSteel's review so I ordered one before the supplies dried up. I love it! :D

TARFU likes this.
  4. bendbig
    • In Omnia Paratus

bendbig Loaded Pockets

Very well done.

5. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I've definitely been watching that new HAWG from this years SHOT, and the only real improvement I personally see is the Antidote bladder which allows you to disconnect the hose and not have a busted artery spewing water all over the place :p
    If the new HAWG has a larger main compartment by way of its design, then that's welcomed.
    I'll do an update of my HAWG soon.

TARFU and powerring like this.
  6. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

I'm now wondering if I should have gone with this rather than the Urban Assault though it's perhaps a bit small. I like it's modularity. How would you think it would cope with a few A4 size ring binders?
    Fantastic review by the way. Very balanced.

7. CheepSteal

I think it's a bit small for the A4 binders. Are you referring to the big, thick kind or the thin flexible ones? The HAWG can hold a decent day's worth of stuff, but using the bladder will significantly reduce the main compartment space, especially for things like hard binders and books due to the curved intrusion of the bladder into the main compartment.

8. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to get a feel for the foliage color, sometimes its dark and other light. Which picture most closely resembles the pack's true color?

9. CheepSteal

Yeah, sorry about the photos, I'm no good at figuring out white balance settings etc.
    It's very difficult to tell you how the foliage looks because it changes depending on the light, i.e. direct sunlight at midday will look different to fluorescent/dim lighting on a cloudy day. The foliage definitely isn't super dark like the picture on the corrugated metal sheet and the picture I took after diving/submersion.
    My HAWG has also faded a little during my use, because I abused it with salt water etc.

Here are some pics I took for another thread, in afternoon sunlight to give you another (if not more confusing!) perspective:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'd say these pictures are pretty close to the actual colour.

Lynx likes this.
  10. Jute

Jute Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting the extra pics! I've been trying to find this model HAWG and it has been difficult as every place is backordered (for the new mil-spec most likely) or only have ACU, coyote, and maybe foliage. I just wanted to get a better idea of a truer representation of the color, seems more gray-ish. You have convinced me to get it! :D It seems to be the perfect edc bag, not too small nor too big. Thanks again for your help.

CheepSteal likes this.
  11. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

It's definitely a greenish-gray. I really like it. It's subtle.

12. Retlini94

Retlini94 Loaded Pockets

Very nice review! I enjoyed the read, and if I actually had the money to spare, I would be counting down the minutes until it arrived! Sadly, I won't have that kind of money for a few months more. :(

CheepSteal likes this.
  13. Supe

Supe Empty Pockets

Will a Macbook Air with neoprene sleeve fit without issue? It looks like it but would like the 'word' from an a owner. I'm considering a few upgrade options for a work/commute bag.