1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Calling on Tablet Aficionados

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ArkansasFan30, Jun 16, 2015.

1. ADelgado

ADelgado Loaded Pockets

I used a Motorola XOOM for years until it recently died. I did a little research and bought a Galaxy Tab A 8 inch. I love it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  2. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I'm with AT&T myself, and now having read your post, I'm glad that I didn't buy it thru AT&T, because AT&T also has their bloatware that can't be uninstalled. I'd be grumbling about it too. Now I know not to buy any tablet from a cell phone provider. Samsung has enough bloatware as it is without having to add AT&Ts.

theirishboxer and Rasthor like this.
  3. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I have heard good things about both the Sprint and T-Mobile models. The bootloaders aren't locked, so you can root them and get rid of bloatware or install a whole different ROM if that's your thing. But, yeah, I'll probably stick with wifi only models from here on.

theirishboxer and kikaida like this.
  4. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

I keep a tablet in my EDC bag. Way off of your criteria, I keep an iPad Mini 3 wifi+Cellular. I bought serval tablets before I landed on this one. If you're not using an iPhone, the iPad doesn't hold up on its own. The features that made me stick with it are the call and text message forwarding. The only reason I keep it with me everywhere I go is because I'm not wifi dependent.

When I was first exploring the tablet market, I tried a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a Windows Tablet. It wasn't anything too special but I'd would suggest deciding on an OS before deciding on a brand and model.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I believe Android is best for my needs. I don't really care for Apple.

6. srvctec

srvctec Loaded Pockets

I'm typing this from my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet I got about 5½ months ago. This thing wasn't inexpensive, but I can't imagine a better tablet. I went from a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 that I used for a couple of years, but it was a little under-powered and laggy. This Note Pro 12.2 never lags on ANYTHING. I love the extra screen real estate compared to the 10" tablets I've looked at.

theirishboxer likes this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I got the Galaxy Tab S and Logitech keyboard case on Prime Day. So far so good. I wanted the 7 inch but am glad I went with the 10+ inch screen because this is hard enough to see.

theirishboxer and srvctec like this.
  8. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Asus is talking about the Padfone S2 in early 2016. A high spec phone that docks into a tablet that is basically screen, battery and ports. It looks like a great system and you get to use your phone plan on the tablet.

Dorian, theirishboxer and alex fekete like this.
  9. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I know it's kinda late... but you cannot go wrong with asus tablets. I have a Fonepad (7 inch) with phone and 3g capabilities and I get a screen on time of 7+ hrs. Updates from jellybean to lolipop and some nifty asus bloatware that is actually useful. I had seen some news about Lenovo popping a 10 inch tablet with projector in November though.

10. Krieger

Krieger Loaded Pockets

I use an iPad Mini but I really like the Samsung Galaxy tab. Prior to this one I had a Galaxy and loved it.

11. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Another Tab S user here. Work issued around the 1st of the year and I've found it to be a workhorse. I used it everyday in the car and on the road. Great display and very few issues.

12. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Having looked at the S2 specs, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I see no reason to upgrade from thr Tab S to the Tab S2.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

13. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

My.02 but you can't go wrong with the Samsung Galaxy Tab3 or 4. Easy to transfer files from home computer, expandable memory, great screens, and a plethora of aftermarket support for cases and other accessories.

14. Downwind

Downwind Empty Pockets

I've got the OG Galaxy Note 10.1. I've used it hard for going on 3 years now and it's starting to show it's age. I looked at the Tab S2 in Best Buy the other day. It feels like half the weight of my old Note. I'm trying to restrain myself.

15. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The tablet market hast largely stagnated the last few years with dwindling sales. I think tablets still have a lot of unrealized potential, but the programmers and consumers haven't found the killer app yet.

16. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

New Pixel C sounds promising for a big premium android tab. I still like small android tabs and a bigger surface pro3/venue11 windows tab though.

New surface pro due and dell is dropping a xps12 soon that's going to be a venue11 replacement/surface competitor

17. Recon1

Recon1 Loaded Pockets

I think I am going to pick up one of those new Asus Zenpad S 8's... I am overly satisfied with my Zenfone 2 so I'll probably like the 8" pad too (crossfingers).

18. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

Just an update for anybody interested. I've been using the dragon touch m7 for over 2 months now. The tablet still works, even though both its wall and USB charger does not.
    The wall charger stopped working after one use. And the USB charger stopped working after about 10 uses. Lucky for me I have a LG mini USB smartphone charger that works with it.

2 big complaints I have with this is its battery life and comsuption. About 3 hours of use on a full charge, and I'm rounding up. Either this thing is a power hog, or it has a tiny battery.
    2nd complaint is its touch screen is not very accurate around the edges, which can be a pain when its only 7 inches, and having to tap on small box.

Minor complaints which is understandable since this only cost me $60 are its horrible camera and speakers.

Good points: decent screen, good WiFi, takes micro memory card.

19. clydeosaur

clydeosaur Loaded Pockets

Tablets!

I've been using tablets as my primary EDC device for 3 or 4 years now. I still have my laptops, and will use my main gaming rig for heavy stuff, but tablets are my preferred way to go. I travel a lot and prefer the light weight and long battery life. Plus I can run Windows apps remotely for work if need be.

Started with an iPad, a bluetooth keyboard, and an amazon basics stylus. Worked very well with remote access to Windows apps.

Got a great deal on the original Surface RT & Surface Pro. Switched to those. Love them. iPad became relegated to games/entertainment. My daughter now has the RT and my wife stole my Surface Pro a year or so ago.

Today I use a Surface 3 (not pro, the new Surface 3). Love it. I use it everyday and it goes with me everywhere. I have it in the UAG case (same with our Pro). Long battery life, full windows apps, Windows 10.

At some point I'll probably get the Surface Book or Surface Pro 4. Not sure which, leaning towards the book.

20. larrym63

larrym63 Loaded Pockets

If you would consider a windows tablet and have a Microcenter nearby. Winbook TW802 regularly goes on sale for $99.00 . Eight inch screen 32gb storage and 2 gigs of ram. I have one upgraded to Windows 10 and for the money its a good tablet. Larry

clydeosaur likes this.