1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CalicoSalsa's EDC in paradise

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by CalicoSalsa, Jan 25, 2016.

1. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Yesterday's mail call delivered a treat from ManVsLawn! Thank you very much, I love everything!

Sweet Victorinox, very sharp and complete. No one need worry, blades never touched the volcanic rock.
    [​IMG]

Make Fire and ranger bands!
    I immediately and dangerously made sparks fly in the living room. Bad CalicoSalsa. :(
    [​IMG]

Maggie with a crowbar, a tactical donut, and a Nite Ize DoohicKey, what more does a girl need to fight zombies? Shown You Are Here at her new home with me.
    [​IMG]

2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

AA lights I like - ZL models, Thrunite T10 series, fenix E12 streamlight protac

AAA - fenix e05, e99, stylus pro and microstream.

I prefer common battery size, simpler clicky lights.

ZL sc52d & sc52w l2 are my current torches of choice.

Those tanks look nice but I've yet to try them.

Glad all the goodies arrived! Thanks again for my care package :)

3. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Loaded Pockets

I've been most pleased with the Olight S15 and Sunwayman V11R in my collection of AA lights. Olight might be the easy solution to the lithium limitations since some of their lights come with a rechargeable battery and charger, then just have to buy spares. Thrunite lights certainly seem to get consistently positive reviews, and I think offer light, battery, and charger packages.

Personally, I'm looking at the Fenix LD11 and L11C as my next light purchases, both of which are basic tail click lights with simple modes and well reviewed. Flashlight companies seem to really like using "11" to designate AA lights recently. :D

4. CalicoSalsa

I do seem to favor clicky over twist, except for the Streamlight Nano that is my most often carried. But not enough light for situations where I need to see far or more.

I surely do appreciate all the advice, especially because I'm sure you all have had to repeat it many times for newbies who keep asking. I really have read a lot of the posts on lights, it is just a lot to absorb when you are kinda new to caring about what you carry.

Thank you everyone for the likes and strikes!

5. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Loaded Pockets

I'm sure most can certainly relate! I was going through the same process a couple years ago when I found out it wasn't weird that I wanted to carry a knife and a light by discovering the world of EDC, and then this forum. About five years ago I thought my incandescent 2x AA Maglite was the greatest pocket light out there. :D

Once I really started looking around the internet and finding dozens of LED options, and hundreds of options for a new knife, or multitool, or whatever else, it was all very overwhelming. Of course it was easier to just want things because "COOL!" but then you start getting sucked into reviews and learn about materials, lumens, steels, and all that technical stuff. So the first knife I bought specifically for EDC and my first LED light were just really cheap options. I checked the reviews on'em to make sure they were decent, and they have been decent, but it was less than $20 for the pair. I can't say I fully trust their long term reliability.

From there I thought about what I like about each item or what I'd prefer them to feature compared to what other people are carrying. Then factor in budget and what I've needed either item for in the past. It's become easier to determine what fills the niche for my EDC needs. Then you just do the same process to test and determine what other gear you might need in your EDC. Hope that helps. :)

6. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I also learned by getting the cheap stuff. It at least gave me an idea of what I liked so I knew what to look for. It's nice to get experience without blowing your yearly budget on a couple of items.

The thing with advice is that it really is specific to the person giving it, and what their needs are. If their needs (and budget) line up with yours, then you will like the same stuff.

The one nice thing about getting bombarded with advice from so many people though is it may steer you to look at a light or knife, or way of carrying them that you hadn't considered.

Good luck in your search and don't forget to post your experiences here!

Nekolf, ManVsLawn, Patrick87 and 3 others like this.
  7. CalicoSalsa

Jedigreedo Tegan's Dad totally agree, it will be a matter of digesting and refining. I do like getting specific model info from folks here, as it gives me something to look at first. A pattern emerges as I decide on specific features - clicky, battery, functions...and price! I would rather buy a good thing once than a bad thing twice (or more), but sometimes good-enough for me will be less than what another might need.

Nekolf, IMWILSON, ManVsLawn and 4 others like this.
  8. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I replaced my Nano with the Nitecore Tube, 45 lumens vs 8 lumens and rechargeable, but stay away from the clear one. Any other color. I hate handling those little button batteries the Nano, Pico and other tiny lights use.
    In AAA and AA, Maglite has a package with a AA led pro (272 lumens) and AAA led solitaire (47 lumens) but you have to read the packaging. At the store I went to, the red set was rated 272/37 lumens, the black set was 272/40 lumens and the blue set was 272/47 lumens and $4 cheaper bringing it under $20. I use these as house lights for anyone to use/borrow/mistreat/lose while my more expensive lights stay where I can find them.
    I really like the Olight i3 except it's a twisty. 100 lumens, single AAA, under $15. Currently carry a Surefire Titan A or Titan B only due to the fact that once I paid my distributor, shipping and tax, I would lose money if I were to sell it.
    Pelican has a nice AAA with tail switch.

9. CalicoSalsa

Thank you, I'm going to check into your recommendations too. I like the Nano as my daytime carry because it is so very tiny it fits in my front pocket with my Subcom. But I do need more light for night or when I'm trying to see any distance. The Nano is good for more light needed for aging eyes, but not for finding anything in the dark.

Nekolf, ManVsLawn, IMWILSON and 2 others like this.
  10. CalicoSalsa

Gifted with a great light holster!
    [​IMG]