1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CalicoSalsa's EDC in paradise

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by CalicoSalsa, Jan 25, 2016.

1. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is why I needed a powerful light for work....

It can be really difficult to see down and under concrete/grass when repairing sprinklers or pipes.

And when everything is bright, it is very difficult to see in the shadows.

2. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

3. CalicoSalsa

Stealth thread....:ninja:....no, just brand new. I can see this can be addicting.

4. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

found it early on not long before you pass me up in posts :giggle:

5. CalicoSalsa

Yup, I think we asked the mom a dozen times about whether she had searched her place, then the firefighters went in an did it themselves. Not only are kids able to squeeze into small spaces or fall asleep soundly, but mom was so frantic that she might easily have overlooked girlie tucked in somewhere. But only they had maybe a couple of rooms, not much to search.

I think one of the worst bits was having the searchers looking in all the rubbish bins while the mom was watching. Here we have three huge bins that get picked up by a truck with mechanical arms (garbage, green waste, recycling). You don't want to think that you will find a child in a rubbish bin, but of course you have to look.

6. CalicoSalsa

Very good points about bright ambient light! I'm going to upgrade. Now I just have to start really paying attention to all the posts about lights...

7. CalicoSalsa

Yes, with me at 24 and you at 616, I should pass you in about ...4 hours??? :D
    Naw, going over to dinner tonight with friends, that will slow me down for a little bit. Or not.

8. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

hey hey now at that rate you might catch Antithetik

9. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Looks like you put your EDC Linguistics to good use there.
    Great story and great ending !! ;)

10. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well written Daywalker and nice to see you stepped up CalicoSalsa in my opinion everyone needs a knife and light. Doesn't have to be the biggest or brightest of either and they may be rarely used but both are must have tools.

11. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

How do you deal with the battery leakage problem here? batteries leak so fast here that it has ruined many a good light

Don't use Duracells and don't leave alkalines in anything. I use eneloops and Energizers, fewer problems. Currently use a Nitecore Tube attached to a P-7 hanger with a spare house key (locked my self out of the house once too often) 24/7, too many power outages. Olight has a AAA light that is barely larger than the cell by its self, and 4/7 was showing a programable Keychain light at the SHOT show. Uses a 2032 cell and the software runs on IOS devices. Carry a 200 lumen Surefire on my duty belt. I pick up 123s by the box at the gun show and the airlines still allow hand carry on aircraft in small quantities. Been also looking at LiFePo batteries. They don't seem to have the same issues as Li-ion

12. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Roger that Gallows sir! One time I was on the MP Floor and the inmates were out on indoor rec. I was working the 1500-2300+ shift. I was alone with about 96 perps all over the place. Lights went out...I had NO light on me since we are not allowed to carry Non-Facility Issued gear. (Our unit lights are 3D Maglites which usually have dead batteries in them.) Pppfftttt...yeah right. After that incident, I started carrying a Scorpion, then went up to Fenix. Fortunately I had already gained the respect/fear of those 96...if not, it could've gotten very...ugly.
    Be safe sir!

13. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Nice thread so far.

As for batteries, Energizer alkalines tend to leak less often (I won't buy Duracells) but I still change 'em out every year. The Energizer AA and AAA lithiums are worth it for long shelf life and noticeably less weight. If you check the big box home improvement stores or even large sporting goods/hunting/outdoor stores you might find Surefire 123 lithium primaries (not rechargeable) for a lot less than other brands. Well, at least they are here in NY state.

Hope that's useful info for where you are too.

Edit: And the #1 motto and mantra here is "1 is none and 2 is 1" for both lights and knives.

Sent by throwing some gizmo as hard as I can.

14. CalicoSalsa

Photo from 2014, fun with friends in Mississippi
    [​IMG]

15. 91bravo

91bravo EDC Junkie

I agree, a knife and light should always be part of one's EDC rotation. Concealed carry as well, if you are allowed to as it's our American right to do so!

16. CalicoSalsa

I wish it was an option here, but Hawaii generally does not grant cc permits to non-LEOs.

17. 91bravo

91bravo EDC Junkie

Well at least a knife and light for you then! It's better than nothing I guess! :bounce:

18. CalicoSalsa

You betcha. Plus as discussed in another thread, one can always grab a nearby kitty can and fling them pointy side out towards the bad guy. :frantic:

Now I need advice on a "reasonable" priced light that can take rechargeable batteries - I've got Eneloops AA, and am going to start buying some rechargeable CR123As, but also need to acquire a good charger to handle those.

Sadly the refrigerator in our ohana, where we house visiting friends, konked out just before my business trip, now we need to buy another and that comes first. Had a garage sale last Saturday and made $354.05 that will go towards the new refer, but pricey EDC buys might be held up. Of course buying rechargeable batteries and the charger are an investment in not wasting money on Alkaline. I ordered two boxes of Surefire non-rechargeables from their site because I can't know who is selling fakes if it doesn't come from a source of which I can be certain. Amazon won't ship them to me, too much lithium for air cargo. Monocrom was kind enough to give me some info in a message, going to check out his source too.

So advice needed:
    Which charger to buy to charge CR123As?
    Which light to consider, that I could buy a couple that will be dependable, don't need pampering, can get wet (not soaked) on occasion, and can take either AA, AAA, or CR123A rechargeable?

tomsk, AK Adventurer, Nekolf and 7 others like this.
  19. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

As for a charger, one that will charge all of your rechargeable batteries is handiest: names that come to mind and that are not very expensive are Nitecore D2 or D4 or Xtar VC 2 Plus or 4 (2 or 4 slot depends on how much batteries per time you'll be loading).

As for the light: just choose a battery and a light to go with the battery. I like the Olight baton serie, S1 (CR123/RCR123/16340) is small and powerful, S15 (AA/AA-NiMH/14500/2xAA/3xAA) is super versatile but there's so many nice lights out there it's hard to give advice without knowing what you want and need. If you don't know what you want yet, start simple and small and slowly find out what you're missing or wishing for. Just simple and cheap: Tank 007 E09/E19 (AAA vs AA) or whatever you like yourself.

20. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

Here's my $.02

For AA:
    I use an L3 Illumination L10C (I think they've updated to the L11C now). It's pretty small and has worked great for me, even fitting in the side tube of my Skinth. I have the 3-level version with a Nichia 219. This is what I use for most daily uses. If you prefer twisty, the L10 is the same light without a clicky.
    On the nightstand I have a Jetbeam BA-10. I like it because it's a simple 2-level light (low is with a loose bezel, high with a tight bezel, push button on/off). I can choose high or low without turning it on. The low level is about perfect to ceiling bounce in the bathroom in the middle of the night without hurting my eyes. I've thought about replacing this with the BC-10, which is basically the same light with more lumens running off a single CR123.

For CR123:
    I have a Jetbeam BC25. Same as the BA-10, simple 2-level operation, but much brighter. This is my "bump in the night" light.
    Sometimes I carry a Thrunite Archer C1 in my jacket pocket. I don't like strobe mode lights much, but this has other useful levels and has mode memory so I can set it to low and let the kids play with it without them going blind.

For AAA:
    I like the maratac/olight i3s. 3-mode operation and pretty impressive what you can get out of a AAA.
    I also like the Fenix E01. Lasts forever and is pretty much indestructible.

I have many other lights around, some cheaper, some not, but these are the most used. For cheepie lights to have all over the place I usually suggest the Sipik SK-68, which can be found through several hong-kong sites for around $6 each. These are what I keep in the cars because I won't be very upset if they get stolen. I usually have a few NIB ones in a box in my computer room to give out as gifts. They run a single AA battery. Not very waterproof though since they have a sliding zoom bezel.

For waterproof, I like the clicky lights. When companies test the IP ratings (IPX8 is waterproof to a specified depth), the test is only run with the device active. For a twisty, that means it has been tightened to turn on. I get nervous with how loose some bezels need to be for the light to be off, and if this affects the water tight seal.