1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CalicoSalsa's EDC in paradise

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by CalicoSalsa, Jan 25, 2016.

1. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Living on Maui is a wonderful thing, with beautiful weather, generally friendly locals, and visitors who are delighted to be here. What are the troubles in paradise? What do you carry, what do you need, what are the situations for which you need to be prepared?

Let's talk story - exchange stories and ideas. Let's compare observations on how where we live differs, or doesn't.

Last edited by CalicoSalsa, Jan 25, 2016
  2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

It depends on where you live in Paradise. I have a flashlight, a Bic, a folder or small fixed blade all of the time but I am on 180 acres on the coast of the Caribbean.

3. CalicoSalsa

Tonight brought a new situation. Just about 9pm my friend & neighbor called, asking if I knew anyone nearby who spoke Spanish.
    I answered, "Yo, un poquito" (Me, a little)
    "Can you come over now?" Definitely urgent.

Not knowing what would be needed and with my phone nearly depleted and charging, I took just the knife I received from my Secret Santa, KODIAKman, adorned with a pink tactical donut to make it a wee bit more friendly. Pictured below with what I should have also taken, a GoalZero light/lantern from a friend in Mississippi.

[​IMG]

My neighbor meets me at the corner, and here's the situation - a missing 6-year old neighbor girl, with the mother who speaks some English unable to really communicate and unwilling to call the police. We're joined shortly by the little girl's cousins, who say they had walked her home about 6:30 or 7:00pm, stood at the corner to watch her turn up her driveway, then left. The little girl never made it inside, and mom thought she was still with her cousins until it got late, and now everyone was understandably upset and starting to panic.

My neighbor had been trying to get the mom to call the police, but she had refused. I had the neighbor call anyway while I tried to get more information. The cousins had already checked the yard, the cars, and nearby houses where the little girl might know the people. They had a photo of her from earlier in the day, we knew what she was wearing. Not with the father, who didn't live at the house. Not with the older brother, who was with their father. Police were on the way, and the dispatcher wanted to talk to the mother, so she went into the neighbor's house while I waited outside for the troops who were screaming in with sirens.

Fire department arrived first, two trucks, and police came soon thereafter, I think 3-4 cars. I relayed the story, translated for the mom, the cousins showed the picture, and the search was on. As neighbors heard, the search party and search area expanded quickly. Young brother was on his bike, crying as he rode up the hill looking for his sister. Everyone checked yards, bushes, cars, houses. PD had lots of questions, everyone was gentle, respectful, helpful. I wished I knew more Spanish, but we got more story - cousins and little girl had gone to the beach. Mom was home with the youngest son. No one could think of where the little girl would go on her own.

Finally, after just over an hour (that seemed like many more), good news. Friends drove up in a truck, and the little girl was inside. Earlier in the day they were driving down the street about 3 blocks and 2 turns away, and saw the little girl walking down the main street sidewalk with a young Caucasian man with a bike. They immediately pulled over, and it became apparent he was trying to help her. She had been crying, saying she didn't want to go home because nobody was there, mom was working. The friends in the truck didn't have a phone number for mom or dad, and they decided to take her to the park where they were headed with their kids. They played a while, and were bringing her back home, surprised to find all the commotion.

Why, one might ask, didn't they try coming to the house first? Who knows. They said it was because the girl was insistent that no one was home and she was locked out and mom was at work.

Word went out to the searchers, everyone was relieved, some reacted with a little anger - not unusual after a scare. I tend to think a lot of anger is based in some fear or threat. Anyone who did get upset or snarky at the end at least kept it at bay while there was a task to do. The good in it all was how many came out to help. PD didn't manifest whatever might have been the mother's fear to call them, they just listened to enough to determine there were no evil intentions and they left it to the family to recover. One policeman bent down to chat with the girl, and promised her they would help her any time she needed it, she could ask any of them any time. Firemen were the classic heroes, responding first and jumping into action. Neighbors didn't even consider whatever jinky little issues they might have with each other, they turned out and were ready to do whatever was needed.

Lesson learned - grab a flashlight for night runs, what was I thinking? Thanks to a neighbor who lent me a headlamp I was able to check around a little, but mostly my job evolved into sticking with the mother.

And the little girl? Her words, when I too checked to make sure she was OK, "I hope this won't be on the news." Sweet girl, thankfully her biggest fear was of being embarrassed.

As Daywalker always says, be safe.

4. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

WOW...thank God that little girl was alright. My blood was starting to boil once I got to the part where she was spotted with a male walking with her and his bicycle. Guess sometimes I expect the worse due to the 15 years of spending over 40+hrs a week with perps. IF it's not what i expected, then it's okay, but I was ready for the worse...if that makes any sense.

CalicoSalsa I commend you for even getting involved, and staying to the very end!

LOL, flashlight. I recently commented on a post by Gallows because it was daytime and he posted a pic of his coffee, a Fenix, and I think it was an all black Manix or Native. Anyway, my comment was, "I thought I was the only one who carried a flashlight during the day!" I ALWAYS carry a flashlight when I go out, even when I am at home. Right now I have a Nitecore SRT3 on me. When i go to SLEEP, I have a Streamlight in my pocket, as I sleep in "BDU pajamas"...got enough pockets just in case i gotta GrabNGo and load them with a few "things". I have a flashlight near by backdoor, two in the living room, one in the bathroom, and of course, one on my nightstand. Then add to those the one on my keychain, the one in my car...on my KeyCom...Shoot, I even have one outside by my shed, and I just bought a light from ManVsLawn!

Mahalo for taking the time to share that story. A flashlight is an underestimated piece of EDC gear...but is a blessing to have. I was always from the school of, "Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.":rolleyes:

Yes, as always...
    Be safe!;)

PS: Good to see you!

5. CalicoSalsa

Sunrise at Oahu airport when I was stopping there Maui to Honolulu to Las Vegas, earlier in January.
    [​IMG]

On plane entertainment, Apple Nano in a silicone wristband playing Nina Simone, red Loop earbud carrier that I like a lot, fidget piece from KODIAKman. Underseat bag filled with an iPad with movies loaded, Bose noise canceling headset, quite a few cables and a charger.
    [​IMG]

6. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

I'm glad the situation had a happy ending! I can only imagine how desperate the family was. Wonder why the mother didn't want the authorities contacted?

Fun to see the knife getting some carry time and glad you started your own thread. Look forward to more stories and pics. Neat looking lantern there. Looks like it charges by crank and solar?

7. CalicoSalsa

Island brother, I'm with you on that part of the story. When I heard the family say she was with a young man walking down the street, I was ready to jump in the truck to drag his butt back here to explain himself. The family had to repeat themselves to many of us again & again that the young man was totally hands off the girl, just walking along with her so she would not be alone. But yes, experience had me down on a knee asking her if she was OK. All signs pointed to no harm, she was upset by the commotion and leftover upset at what she thought was being abandoned, but no flinching, no shaking, no crying related to the guy.

How do you deal with the battery leakage problem here? I used to have flashlights in every room and in the truck, but batteries leak so fast here that it has ruined many a good light. I'm down to a Streamlight Nano in my EDC (attached to the Boker), a few cheap multiLEDs, and other lights with the batteries in a plastic bag taped to the light shaft.

8. CalicoSalsa

Me too on the happy ending. My guesses on why the mother didn't want to call - maybe illegal immigrant, maybe because she and the father are split and there might be custody issues, maybe she just doesn't think of the authorities as helpful based on some experience? I didn't ask so I can't say, only guesses. But perhaps now that she's had a good experience with the turnout, maybe next time she will be OK with it. Hopefully the whole thing won't be ammo for any ongoing parental battles.

The lantern is indeed Li chargeable via solar and crank and also via USB. It came charged in December and I have not depleted the initial charge yet. It has a USB output of 1.5A to charge devices, and light modes red (solid, flash), 2 levels of flashlight, 2 levels of flood (other side from the solar). It arrived in a box with a lantern (also solar chargeable), a solar panel, and a set of four rechargeable AA batteries with charger. I'm quite thrilled with the set, an unexpected gift from a great friend.

9. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

Hi, nice of you to open a thread, and we would like some tropical pictures and obviously some tropical gear-pictures too. :)

As for leaking batteries, just don't use Alkaline en especially no Duracell, these are simply put just :censored:.

For storing and stuff you just want ready when you need it, the Lithium primaries are more expensive but hold their charge longest off all and don't leak so are ideal for stuff you want just ready but use little.

10. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I second the lithium primaries for leaking. I use Energizer Advanced Lithium for all AA and AAA lights. I have some that sit in my car where it can range from -20F to 120F and they work every time. Any brand of Alkaline can leak relatively easily. Either from temperature, or too high a discharge. The lithium batteries will also tend to last longer, especially if you run your lights on high.

Oh, and subbed!

11. No Agenda
    • In Omnia Paratus

No Agenda Loaded Pockets

Glad to see your new thread and I'm also glad the little girl was okay!

As far as batteries go, look for a nice rechargeable set up like Eneloops or Amazon Basics.

12. CalicoSalsa

kwispelhond, Tegan's Dad, No Agenda - thank you for checking out my thread and for the battery advice. I have some Eneloops and plan now to buy more after I take inventory of how many / which size. I have the Eneloop bundle from Costco that has the casings and charger, will now look for just the batteries. Been having trouble with Amazon not shipping lithium batteries here due to air freight complications, couldn't get CR123As we needed. All the gun & sporting shops here were out, and the ones at hardware & grocery stores were ridiculously high.

kwispelhond more tropical pics for sure!

Thank you Tegan's Dad for the sub!

13. hotworms

hotworms Loaded Pockets

+1 for lithium batteries. I don't know how many mini mag lights were ruined due to leaking batteries.
    Now I spend more on lights so they deserve better batteries.

Glad all turned out well. Thanks for keeping us informed and educated. I am one who also carries a flashlight all day and night.

14. CalicoSalsa

Thank you hotworms. It seems as though when living in California leaky batteries were uncommon and usually only things left unattended for long spells. Here they go in a seemingly very short time, even in the packages we buy and the devices we use. Sometimes I can clean out the acid by knocking out the crust then using white vinegar to dissolve and neutralize, and get the item working again, but sometimes not. Very frustrating. Massive lithium conversion now on the list.

15. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Good to see you got your thread going Miss. Salsa !!!

16. CalicoSalsa

It was thanks to your encouragement Longbow_06 that I even seriously considered it. I appreciate you reaching out on that!

17. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

It's Enablement training :D
    Gets you on the right track :D

18. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Great outcome on the little girl :)

The number of times we get frantic phone calls from a parent that their young child has gone missing and ask "have you searched the house properly?" "of course I have what sort of idiot do you take me for?"

And we then find them in the house......

19. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm glad the little lady was safe!

How did I miss this thread?

I should've sent you a spare flashlight and some energizer lithiums! Whoops!:unsure:

20. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Because of bright tropical sunshine, there is always a dark corner when I least expect it. Looking in a toolbox or any kind of closest for something small makes carrying a daytime flashlight a necessity.