1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cache guns?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jda, Feb 3, 2014.

1. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

So, I put my FAL up for sale earlier (replaced it with a ruger scout, as that fills my need for a truck gun better) I started thinking (never good) What if I cruse around the PSA site for a while, and piece together a few inexpensive AR's to either cache, or use as "arm a neighbor" rifles? Priced it out, I'm thinking if I wait for good deals to pop up, I can piece together a pair of rifles for about $1500. ($680/rifle finished cost) The wont be pretty, they wont be sexy, but they will work.

OR I could put together a kick :censored: AR, complete with glass, light, sling, ect and bury the one I have now.

Thoughts?

2. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Personally the thought of a firearm not under direct supervision makes me queazy.

-john

bull_paqqy and Oldpagan like this.
  3. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Yeah, JohnN....it might dig itself out and start killing people.

The location would have to be right and an unlikely place for anyone to find.

4. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

I do not like the idea of caching weapons in unsupervised locations. I do, however, like the idea of caching weapons at supervised locations. I have caches all over the country, in storage units, at friends' houses (in locked pelican cases), ext. Not all of them have weapons in them, but they are still in locations that I know are secure and will not be accidentally disturbed.

SAKplumber, kertap75 and vegassprky like this.
  5. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

On a private ranch or other sizable property where you are likely to have practical access to them in a evacuation or an over-run situation, yes. In an urban environment where you are competing :)censored:) with 10,000+ or more neighbors for food, water, looting and it's impossible or impractical to venture across the city when you should be leaving the city...no.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I've stashed bag caches in a large number of undisclosed locations around the globe. This practically garauntees that I'll be mission capable anywhere in the world.

If you see crates, tree trunks, rocks, abandoned vehicles, grounded planes, tornado/fallout shelters, adandoned missle silos, sunken wrecks, guys who have fake legs but don't walk with a limp, chicks named Helga, Starbucks, or Taco Bells marked or tattooed with the letters "TARFU", then you'll know you've stumbled upon one.

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

In the event that you would ever need one of these guns two would be better then one right?

8. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

I have 7 OCONUS caches as well.

9. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Who said unsupervised? I have friends who have already agreed to allow me to do things of this sort, on property they own.

That said, I have some PSA blem lowers on their way to my FFL.

10. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

For some of us the end draws neigh. (Not that I don't share that.) I guess I'm ready to go; only have one redoubt. Always liked the Bronson movie where he's holed up in the Yukon and even escapes his dynamited cabin to snow shoe it over the mountains.

vegassprky likes this.
  11. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

buried kinda implies unsupervised, even if on a friend's or your own property.

in your or your friend's safe, i'm totally down with that.

-john

12. Elduka

Elduka Loaded Pockets

Like the idea, go for 2

13. John F.

John F. Empty Pockets

"in your or your friend's safe, i'm totally down with that."

So are the fine folks who would go looking for your guns in the first place...
    A friend had a cheapie Wal-mart type (Homak?) gun safe for his silhouette guns.
    Some criminals waited till he went to work, broke into his house, and knowing his
    routine, knew they had plenty of time before he returned home from work. They
    barricaded the front door so they'd have some extra time to go out the back, in case
    he DID come home early, and went to work on his safe. The police said it must have
    taken them quite some time to get into it, but they did, and his Anschutz's, Contenders,
    etc. have never been recovered. There are more sophisticated thieves who can get into
    heavier-duty, high quality safes. It's good not to be too obvious about your hobby equipment,
    so as not to attract attention from unsavory types, or the mindless gossips who tell everyone
    about anything they've seen, just to hear themselves talk.

I guess some folks aren't entirely comfortable putting all their eggs in one basket...

vegassprky likes this.
  14. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've never considered caching firearms over a wide geographic area, let alone internationally. Mainly because that would not be practical for me. However, storing things with my brothers who live in the area seems like a good option. I'd probably put two simple but quality A2's together or A4's with iron sights. Ultimately I'd cache a rifle and pistol, magazines, ammo, etc...

vegassprky likes this.
  15. toork

toork Loaded Pockets

I just helped my buddy build his first AR. We built his for $565. Tax and all. So for 1500 I believe you could scrap together a couple moderately equipped AR's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Iii ni a

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have snagged 2 S&W MP15 Sports in the last 2 weeks for $600.00 each.
    It is hard to imagine doing any better building for myself considering the quality of fit and finish and the Lifetime warranty too.

So now for less than the price of 1 decent AR I have 2 of them and they don't seem to shoot like they are 1/2 priced to me.

These would be ideal for this use I think.

17. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

+1 for M&P Sport. Actually, +3 as I have one in the house and 2 in a safe at the family homestead. One has almost 5k rounds through it (90% of it steel case) with zero issues.

I dont recommend burying firearms. If it ever comes time to bury them, then its actually time to dig them up.

18. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Could you message me a parts list?

FOLLOW ME on Instagram: @Tx_Knives

My EDC thread!! http://edcforums.com/index.php?threads/Tx_Mark%27s-EDC.116418/