1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Okay. I've been playing around with a Google Docs version of this Guide to Water Bottles? Google Docs really has a lot of possibilities, but it is completely incompatible with the forum software. To be honest, i haven't found any viable solution that is compatible with the forum software. They were just never designed to mingle.

I'm definitely going to make a Google Doc version of the guide available. The question is just whether to edit the Google Doc only, or to keep a separate forum version here on EDC Forums, for as long as I can shoehorn it into the forum software.

I can leave the Google Doc as is, or format it more like a word processing document, so that it can printed out on standard 8 1/2 X 11" paper. It's pretty cool that it can be downloaded in a number of formats, such as PDF. What do you think?

Linky - http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AVXG6o4feoaxZGhmdHptd3NfMGZkamN2a2R2&hl=en

2. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The 27 oz insulated Klean Kanteen arrived yesterday, after a lengthy side trip due to USPS sending it in the wrong direction. It's an awesome bottle. The insulating properties are top notch. I filled it with Dunkin' Donuts coffee, cream and sugar, at 5:00PM last night. The coffee was too hot to sip, so i let it sit with the Cafe cap in the closed position. I couldn't even drink the coffee until almost 7:00 PM.

The Cafe cap is pretty good. About the same as many other tumbler caps. The threads seal well, but if you tip the cup upside down, coffee will leak out around the spout, even when the spout is in the closed position. I'll admit that I expected the Cafe cap to be a bit more spill resistant, but I think that I can live with it.

I'll try to post pictures up this weekend.

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Both the EDC Forums version and the Google Docs version have been upgraded to show reviews for the Klean Kanteen Cafe Cap, L.L. Bean 27oz cozy, GreenSmart Neogreene tall cozy, Nalgene Cool Stuff, Walmart Sport Cozy, and the Built Cozy.

Klean Kanteen Insulated bottle review coming very soon, as well as reviews of the stainless steel Eco Green canteen and a Nathan 24 oz Stainless Steel Flip Straw Bottle

4. souldeez

souldeez Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident, or if someone can chime in, but...

I received my humangear capCAP today for use with my 16oz Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated, but when I tried the cap on it, it neither sits level, nor does it seal properly, as water leaks out of it readily when turned upside down.

The capCAP will spin about 3/4 of a turn until it's tight on the bottle, whereas the stock cap will go for about a full turn.

[​IMG]

You can kind of see how the right side is slightly higher than the left. The side that's higher is where the water is coming out of.

The Klean Kanteen Wide caps (both the stock loop, and the folding d-ring cap) work with no problems.

I have another 16oz Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated coming in today (the first one was actually damaged in shipping), so I'll try the capCAP on that as well to see if I have the same issues.

EDIT: just received my other 16oz Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated today, and it still leaks. Is there supposed to be a gasket in the bottom of the capCAP?

5. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Loaded Pockets

I have 3 of the capCAPs and some of them will work with some my Klean Kanteen but not with others. If you only have one cap you may be out of luck. If you have others try a different one.

6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Odd. I have 5 Human Gear capCAPs, one Klean Kanteen Insulated, and 3 Klean Kanteen Wides. All of the caps, which were purchased from various sources and different times, fit all of the Klean Kanteens.

7. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Stayed tuned for a review of the Rasta Tie Dye GSI Outdoors Dukjug. This is a very promising bottle. It's not made of Eastman Tritan, like the Camelbaks and Nalgenes. It is made of some specialized polypropylene called Infinity, made in China. GSI promises that Infinity is 25% lighter and more durable than "other BPA free plastics", and that it is BPA free, Phthalate free, non-leaching, and fully recyclable. It's supposedly dishwasher safe and won't retain tastes and odors. The bottle cap system is similar to the Guyot bottles, although not quite a nicely finished. The bottle even ships with a GSI version of the Guyot Splashguard, but the GSI version is less messy and won't fall down into the bottle. The mouth is a standard wide mouth, so accessories should fit without a problem. The bottle has a recessed area around its circumference to hold 2 meters of emergency duct tape. A silicone sleeve sits over the duct tape to protect it, and to allow for a more secure grip on the bottle. The outside of the bottle is graduated like a Nalgene or Camelbak, and the cap is deeply knurled for easy opening with gloves or mittens. Of course it nests properly with a GSI Glasier cup, and it will work with a Human Gear capCAP, although it's not entirely necessary on this bottle.

This bottle boasts a lot of features, and has huge possibilities. I'd be a bit worried about the Chinese plastic manufacturing if it were coming from somebody I didn't know. But GSI is a real deal company. They generally do things better than just right. The price is good and there is even a stainless steel version available. But if this bottle proves to resist odors and flavors, I could be persuaded to go back to plastic.

[img width=480 height=640]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/Dukjug.jpg[/img]

8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Both the EDC Forums version and the Google Docs version have been upgraded to show a review of the excellent Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated bottle.

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

My testing of the GSI Dukjug is going very well. I let the bottle sit for 36 hours, filled with lemonade. I then washed the bottle with soap and water and refilled it with filtered water. After 24 hours of being filled with water, I smelled and drank the water. It had only the faintest trace of lemonade. And I think that was coming from either the cap or the Sip-It lid. I'll be filling the Dukjug with a few other things over the next week, and checking for tastes and odors.

I'd be a heck of a lot more excited about the Dukjug if it weren't for one thing. Over the last couple of months, I've grown this bazaar sentimental attachment toward my Guyot Standard. Coupled with a Human Gear capCAP and a Nalgene Cool stuff cozy, it's an awesome combo for work and around the house. It's accessory compatibility is simply outstanding, and it is very steady when sitting on uneven surfaces. Caps always thread easily, and it cleans out easily. Very rugged too. I can't tell you how many times it's fallen out the door of my car onto the pavement. It's also great for short hikes at local parks with my daughter. We bring along water on warm days, and soup on cold days. The loop strap on the capCAP is very comfortable to hold while you're walking. Between the Guyot Standard and the New Klean Kanteen Insulated, I've just about got all the bases covered.

[img width=480 height=640]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/NalgeneBlueCozyGuyot.jpg[/img]

10. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

Just in case you don't know, the Camelbak sleeve for the Better Bottle fits the 27oz. wide mouth Klean Kanteen, not as perfectly as it does the Camelbak but pretty well.

Thank you Buzzbait for my recent infatuation with all things water bottle. ;D

11. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Loaded Pockets

I purchased and received two of the KK insulated bottles in 16oz yesterday based on buzzbait's excellent review. Very nice! I filled both with water measured at 180 degrees and measured the temperature at one, two, and three hours. The average between the two bottles worked out to a pretty consistent 10 degree loss per hour. Both bottles were sitting at room temperature with the drinking lid installed. I believe with the loop cap they would hold temperature even better. O0

12. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

Here's one for the bottle gurus. I reciently purchased a AGUAMIRA FRONTIER PLUS MILITARY, water filter. It has the ability to use a straw to suck through and it also has a gravity mode. To use the gravity mode, it has the standard over the counter water bottle / Coke 2 litre bottle threads on it.

So I dont have to pack and carry an old Coke bottle as an EDC item, is there a 32 or 40 oz bottle, that will fit in the stainless cup and in my jumbo, that has the correct (Coke bottle) thread (that wont leak). If not, does anyone know of an adaptor that will fit on quality EDC 32 or 40 oz bottle with the Coke bottle threads. Either can be stainless, nalgene or aluminum.

As long as the results are acomplished I will be happy. I already carry an IDF (Israel Defense Forces) collapsible stainless steel cup to put the filtered water in.

13. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Here's another small project that I've been working on. It's a water bottle sling.

I've been going on short hikes lately with my young daughter, and filling my Guyot Standard with hot chocolate or tomato soup to sip on the way. I haven't been going far enough to warrant a daypack with a water bottle pocket. The hikes are only a couple of miles, with frequent stops to rest, peek inside of old hollowed out trees, play with sticks, jump in puddles, throw snow balls, etc. I've just been holding the Guyot by the strap holder on the Human gear capCAP, and using the Nalgene Cool Stuff neoprene cozy to keep the hot chocolate warm.

The problem is that a cozy really isn't rugged enough to put down on the ground, and the bottle always takes up one useful hand. I thought long and hard about the Maxpedition 10 X 4 bottle holder. I really liked the insulating value, attachment points, as well as the nifty pocket. But I eventually decided against it. Christmas season has reduced my expendable cash considerably, and the zipper lid was the deal breaker. I just don't like that lid system. By zippering the lid closed, you've effectively made your hydration an inconvenience. If you want a drink, you have to put down what you're holding, grab your bottle holder and unzipper it, remove the bottle, take a sip, put the bottle back in, zipper things shut, put the holder back, and grab your stuff again. Seeing that proper hydration is of paramount importance in all aspects of daily living, and especially on outdoor trips, is seems crazy to make it so hard to access your bottle. The fact that my daughter wants a sip of soup every 2 minutes of the trip would make this a nightmare.

So I've gone a different route. I had a Maxpedition Mini RollyPoly on an old pack in the garage. I popped the Guyot into the RollyPoly and cinched down the shock cords. It was a great fit. Then I added an old nylon shoulder strap from some long lost piece of equipment, maybe a camera bag, and it worked very well. I could sling the rig over my shoulder, and the mouth of the bottle was always accessible. The insulation took some thought. The fit was too tight for a neoprene cozy to fit inside. I ended up making another trip to the garage, and grabbing an old ShamWow. Well, it's not really one of Vince Shlomi's real ShamWows, but the same darned thing. I bought it for next to nothing at a job lot store. I cut a tube of it to the size of the inside diameter of the RollyPoly, and added another piece for the bottom of the RollyPoly. It worked out great. The ShamWow provides a bit of insulation, and if I'm carrying water, the ShamWow will absorb about a billion pounds of condensation. The bottle is even well protected from dents now, and the Maxpedition Rollypoly is plenty tough enough for sitting on the ground.

I think this will work out well. The setup is pretty versatile. The Rollypoly can be rolled back up small, if need be. There are some nice attachment points. I've got the ShamWow that should have a ton of uses on the trail. I've can add a patch to the RollyPoly. And if we decide to do some berry picking, and pine cone collecting, I can use the RollyPoly as a dump pouch for holding my daughter's little treasurers.

I'll be taking it out for it's maiden voyage this weekend.

[img width=640 height=640]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/rollypoly.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/dsc05949.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/dsc05956.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/dsc05957.jpg[/img]
    [img width=480 height=640]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/dsc05951.jpg[/img]
    [img width=480 height=640]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/dsc05952.jpg[/img]

14. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

It looks like the RolyPoly is a good fit for the Guyot. How well does it fit the KK40? I finally got the KK40 and CapCap and they work great together. Now I just need some way to carry it.

15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The Mini Rollypoly actually works better with the 40 oz Klean Kanteen than with the Guyot. The fit is perfect with the KK40. There is some extra room in the bottom of the Rollypoly with the Guyot. I'm still figuring out what to do with the extra room. A small waterproof round plastic container of water purifying tablets may be in order. Or maybe a tiny PSK of some sort.

The only big downside of the Mini Rollypoly is its inability to hold a GSI Glacier cup nested with the Guyot. The Glacier cup is just a tad too wide.

I got the wife to do a bit of work for me tonight. It was a rough time getting the Guyot into the Rollypoly with the Shamwow wrap making a tight fit. The Shamwow would want to get pushed down into the bottom of the Rollypoly. So she sewed me a Shamwow cozy with a bottom and sides, I can now put the bottle into the cozy and then slide the bottle/cozy combo down into the Rollypoly. It works beautifully. :roof:

16. DozerDog

DozerDog Empty Pockets

Thank you for this extensive review, I almost bought a Sigg bottle for my son as an xmas present and now I'm glad I didn't. Has anyone seen or used the "Hydro Flask"

http://hydroflask.com/

Looks nice but I've never seen them before until someone mentioned them in another thread here on EDC. I'm interested on what everyone thinks about them

As for coffee, I have used a Nissan Thermos w/flip cap for more than 5 years now, My wife loves hers but we had a probl.em keeping the caps clean. She called Nissan and was able to buy replacement caps for about 3 buck each. Keeps coffee HOT HOT HOT for hours and even after 8 hours it was still warm.

http://www.thermos.com/product_details.aspx?ProdID=494&CatCode=BEVG

17. DerekH

DerekH Loaded Pockets

Hey Buzz, wish I had found this thread sooner. Oh well, everything worked out in the end. Got some stuff you might be interested in here.

First up is the Innate Flip Top V2 LidInnate Flip Top V2 Lid

It fits the Guyot Designs 32 oz. Backpacker I am using, which leads me to believe it will fit the others they have, as well as a wide mouth Nalgene. Price-wise it ran under $5, and I am loving it. Here is where I got mine:

Innate Flip Top Lid

Next is the Innate Silicone Slip Cover

It also fits the 32 oz Guyot Designs Backpacker, and it does so quite nicely. It does take a bit of stretching to get it on, but no where near as bad as one of the reviewers on Amazon stated. Possibly because she was trying to get it on a 40 oz bottle and it was designed for a 29 oz bottle. It adds a little in the way of insulation, but not enough by itself. I am using mine as well as a neoprene cover, and that seems to be doing the job really nicely, but as I said, it isn't worth it by itself as it does form condensation on the sides with cold beverages. Here is where I got this one:

Innate Slip Cover

Overall I was really pleased to find things that would fit my Backpacker. The shape of the silicone cover is much closer to the shape of the Backpacker, so that is a huge part of why I bought it. The lid though, that has made my week. I didn't think I would find anything that would really work for this thing, and was afraid I might have to simply scrap it and go with something else, even though I really like the Guyot bottle. Glad I didn't have to.

18. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

19. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

too slow mate :p