1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't forget the Human Gear Cap. ;D

-Trevor

2. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Funny you should say that just Emailed my UK supplier of most stuff(ee33) and they say they will import me one :).awaiting costs

3. lowlight

lowlight Loaded Pockets

thanks for the detailed info :)

i'm using the 34 fl. oz / 1 liter version of the Platy Bottle from Platypus for awhile now. so far so good.

they have a improved new design, the plusBottle out now.
    will try it out soon.

4. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Interesting may get a few for car and one rolled up for edc,that and a rolypolly are a great set up

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Indeed. Very small when not in use, and balloons out to a full water bottle and carrier. :iagree:

6. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

The Plusbottle does it have a stable base when full so its freestanding and my only other concern would be it puncturing ,any feedback for that from any owners please
    Thank you

7. lowlight

lowlight Loaded Pockets

i have been using the Platy Bottle for around one year.
    edc-ing it almost everyday & took it along for several overseas trips.
    the rolling up feature makes it especially great when u travel as it folds up to next to nothing when not in use.
    t also stands when it's full.

there's no plastic taste, and according to the website, they are so tough that they can be frozen or boiled (haven't tested this out yet). ;)

so far it looks a little worn out from daily use but there is no leakage or anything.
    hope my local camping store will bring in the plusBottle soon, can't wait to test it out

8. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Thank you looks like a KK with capcap for long hauls and a Plusbottle for EDC,thanks for the input fella's

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I just got back three bottles from the Sigg replacement program, so I added reviews of Sigg Classic aluminum bottle and the new Sigg Wide aluminum bottle.

I still need to add the Sigg Wide to the Wide Mouth Accessory Compatibility Matrix.

Keep an eye out for reviews of the GreenSmart Neogreene tall cozy and the Nalgene Cool Stuff neoprene cozy. They should be finished in the next couple days.

10. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

I tried to send in my Sigg bottles but they told me the exchange program was over :rant: They also tried to tell me their old stainless steel bottles weren't lined, but I can see the lining and they told me when I bought them not to use the bottle on a fire because they were lined. :shrug: I guess I won't be buying Sigg again :thumbsdown: .................Malcolm

11. StSumwhere

StSumwhere Loaded Pockets

Last edited by StSumwhere, Oct 21, 2013
  12. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

That's new to me!!!!! I love it. I especially dig it with the new Cafe drink cap. The perfect coffee mug.

13. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I did some digging around on these insulated Klean Kanteens. They are in very short supply right now, in their first few days of shipping, so they're not really being advertised. I don't think that Klean Kanteen thought they'd be this big of a hit, or they're supplier just hasn't geared up into high production yet.

[​IMG]

You can get a lot of info on these new bottles from this link:

http://www.peregrineoutfitters.com/Online/Navigation/kk%20insulated/kk_insulated_r.htm

I couldn't wait, and ordered up a 20 oz insulated bottle and Cafe cap from Greenfeet. I've been searching for the perfect travel mug to take to Dunkin Donuts, and I think that this is it. I needed a bottle that would fit in the bottle holder of my bicycle, hold exactly the same amount of coffee as a large Dunkin ( 20 oz), have a good seal on the cap, and have some traditional sort of coffee tumbler cap to sip out of. This is the first bottle to hit all points.

I've been using this Dunkin Donuts tumbler lately, but it doesn't hold enough coffee for my tastes, and the cap has developed a nasty tendency to leak.

[​IMG]

14. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the great thread.  One of the reasons I got the 25 oz Cambelbak Better Bottle Classic was because of the off-center attachment loop.  I hang the bottle from a carabiner on my EDC bag with a DIY strap system to hold it against the side of my bag.  Ultimately the straps just keep it from swinging, while the carabiner attachment holds the weight of the bottle and its contents.

I'm interested in a capCAP to replace my guyot sipper insert. Humangear says that the connection strap is durable, but would it hold up to the stress of suspending 25 oz of water daily?  Thanks!

Other random thoughts:

I'm a little concerned with the locking mechanism and the strength of the hinge on the Kor bottles.  As with all small-mouthed bottles, washing seems like it may be more difficult.  That said, they get consistently good reviews on REI.

Would it be possible to change the compatibility matrix to be an accessory compatibility matrix?  Then you could do things like cozys as well. Also, reviews of the Camelbak cozy/sleeve for their 25 oz bottles would be appreciated. =)

Do the insulated Kleans use standard wide mouths and threads (i.e. is it compatible with the capCAP)?  Is the 20oz insulated about the same overall size as the 27oz wide mouth, with the missing 5 oz going to provide the insulating vacuum center?

The cafe cap carries a warning against dishwasher washing or submerging, which is a little disappointing. I thought one of the big goals is to have things be easily dishwasher washed. This mirrors the experiences and reviews on amazon of the flip-up D-ring cap, which also complain about bad tastes/odors from water being held within the body of the cap.

15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I don't think that would be a problem. The strap is pretty thick, and made of more resilient plastic than the strap on a Nalgene wide mouth cap.

Let me see what I can do with the compatibility matrix. As far as the Camelbak goes, I'm trying to find one to look at. I have a feeling that it may be the same product as the L.L. Bean cozy, but with different colors and branding. I should have a couple of cozy reviews done in the next couple days. I just need time to do the write-up.

Yes. According to the literature I've found, the steel threads (no plastic) are standard, and compatible with standard wide mouth water filters.

The 20 oz insulated bottle is slightly taller and slightly wider than a 27 oz wide bottle. Probably not enough of a difference to cause a problem with a cozy, but maybe a bike carrier.

Unfortunately, this is the reality of hybrid wide caps. An all steel cap would be too heavy and too expensive, yet people don't want plastic touching their drink. So you have to make a hybrid cap where the steel insert touches the water, but the rest is plastic. That bond between the steel and the plastic is a bit tenuous, and prone to trapped moisture.

You could, of course, just make a plastic cap without a steel insert, and that is the way that many Klean Kanteens initially ship. Hybrid caps are aftermarket accessories for the Classic line, and you can buy wide mouth bottles with all-plastic caps from L.L. Bean. To Klean Kanteen's credit, they have both a plastic and a stainless hybrid version of many of their caps.

According to Klean Kanteen's website today, the Cafe cap is not a hybrid. It's all plastic, so it should be dishwasher safe.

16. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

For water drinkers on the go you should give Platypus bottles a try. They're soft plastic BPA free bottles that can be flattened and rolled up when not in use. Including the lightweight design, these bottles are great for situations where space and weight are at a premium. I have only used my Platypus with water and it works great, I don't know how it would react with flavoured liquids. Some downsides are that the bottle opening is quite narrow (difficult to insert ice or thoroughly clean), and the soft plastic design can be punctured if you try hard enough. Still, the Platypus bottle is something unique from every other bottle maker out there and could be the perfect fit for some lifestyles. If you don't like colourful bottles you can also get their classic ones:

[​IMG]

gearheavy likes this.
  17. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The Sigg Wide, along with the Sigg Wide cap have been added to the Wide Mouth Accessory Compatibility Matrix. I also fixed a mistake in the matrix, having errantly stated that the Nalgene Wide cap would fit on a Camelbak Better bottle and a Camelbak Stainless. They will not fit properly.

I did try adding cozys to the matrix, but it just didn't work out. First off, "fit' does not exactly have yes or no answers when it comes to cozys. The fit is far too descriptive a detail to add to the matrix. Also, the coding of the matrix is becoming very difficult. If you've ever tried to add a table to a forum post, you know what I mean. The matrix has grown large enough that the coding has become outrageously cumbersome. If the matrix grows much larger, I may have to resort to a screen capture of a spreadsheet file, which I'd really prefer not to do.

18. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the update! Honestly, I'd just use a Google Spreadsheet and link to it. Of course, then you can't embed, but you can simply screenshot that if desired and provide a link for accessibility.

19. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

It's a real conundrum. I tried the Google Spreadsheet route. Creating the spreadsheet was a piece of cake. Very nice. The problem is the presentation. I really want the data to be visible in the forum post. I tried creating a screen capture of the Google Spreadsheet, but the EDC Forums software did me in. It resized the wide spreadsheet down to the point where the data was very difficult to read. There's the rub. I may have to move this guide off of the forums, and over to a website where I have more control over the formatting. This may have grown to the point where web board software just isn't the appropriate venue of presentation.

I'll see if I can come up with something "inventive".

20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

To be honest, a simple listing of carriers and cozies really covers all the basic information needed.

-Trevor