1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  2. 3voices

3voices Loaded Pockets

very impressive write-up! :pirate:

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

4. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Oh. Anybody have a Kor bottle?
    Saw one at my local outdoors outfitters. Seems pretty nice but a bit on the pricey side. http://www.korwater.com/

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Just a report on the Klean Kanteen green goo issue. It's been ten days since I cleaned the goo from the lip of my 40 oz Klean Kanteen Wide, and it still looks like I just cleaned it. It's been refilled and reused constantly since the cleaning, and no goo has come back to haunt me.

It appears that once you quickly scrub it off, it's gone for good!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Too pricey for me, but I've never of heard of anybody not liking their Kor. They appear to be great urban use bottles.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

That may be true, but I've never heard of anybody *liking* them either. I haven't actively searched out reviews but I haven't seen any... I'm not convinced anybody is buying them.

IMO they seem nice but they are a bit on the bulky side... I really like three features, the narrow mouth, the attached cap, and the one handed open/close. If they made one a bit smaller I'd probably have bought one by now.

Mostly, I'm looking for an excuse to add one to my bottle collection, but I don't see how it brings anything to the table that I must have. It is very cool looking though, but the pretentious presentation is a bit of a turn off.

8. daddÿ

daddÿ Empty Pockets

Hey man, nice writeup about different bottles. I enjoyed reading it (who would think reading about water bottles could be fun?)

Anyways here are some of my thoughts about bottles.

CamelBak: As much as I love some of their packs I cannot stand their "Better Bottles" for pretty much the same reasons you listed as well as I just don't dig built in straws of any kind. As for their SS bottles, they seem to be even worse.

KleanKanteen: Not that they are bad bottles, I just don't prefer them to other alternatives (going to list below) and my girlfriend has had 2 different KK bottle caps basically break/fail.

Guyot Design/ Nalgene SS bottle: I just ordered 2 Nalgene SS standards from their site because of a wicked great deal. 50% off orders of $40 or more and free shipping on orders of $10 or more. For the 50% off use the following coupon code "NFCD09" without the " " As for the performance of the bottles, I have not used them but I have checked them out in stores and in videos and other reviews and pretty much everyone loves them.

Nalgene bottles/canteen: I have 1 32oz and 2 canteens from Nalgene. They both retain flavors and smells however I just let them soak overnight with water and it basically goes away. That is my only major gripe with Nalgene bottles/canteens. The canteens are pretty light and "squishy" compared to the traditional Nalgene bottle.

Pura Stainless: This is the bottle of choice for my girlfriend since the Klean Kanteen incident. The Pura bottles are pretty similar to KK however they feel a bit more substantial. Not that KK are flimsy but they just don't have the same feel as Pura bottles. Plus they come with a SS cap, unlike with KK you have to buy it separate for almost $6...... And the final thing that I think sets them apart from KK is that Pura has a limited lifetime warranty.

Sigg: Don't get me started....Will never touch them. You said enough.

Anyways, that just my small contribution to this thread.

daddÿ

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

eek!!!!! The popularity of this thread had caused my Photobucket account to go over it's maximum allowed bandwidth. I've created a new Photoucket account to handle the water bottle photos. So all pictures should stay working.

10. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Were these the caps with stainless steel inserts? I've heard of these failures before. Because the stainless steel threads are glued to the plastic cap, the cap is susceptible to stresses causing the cap and steel insert to separate, thus leaving the steel threads stuck in the mouth of the bottle. I assume this is the reason why they now offer only plastic caps on new Classic bottles, and merely offer the stainless steel insert caps as available accessories. I ordered up a couple of these stainless steel insert caps, but never used them. It looked like if I ever suspended the bottle from the loop, the weight of the bottle could easily create enough leverage while bagging around, to cause the pieces to come unglued. Not are great design.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/KleanKanteenSteelCap.jpg[/img]

It looks like they smartened up with the new Klean Kanteen Wide caps. They are designed so that the load bearing cap threads are integral to the plastic cap, and the only stainless steel is a small disk inside of the cap. A much better design.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/KleanKanteenWideMouthSteelCap.jpg[/img]

I've never heard of these bottles. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!

11. daddÿ

daddÿ Empty Pockets

To be honest I have no idea what the cause was or what exact cap was being used on her KK bottles. When I get a chance I will ask her. As for the heads up, no problem.

daddÿ

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Whose website is sporting that offer? Guyot or Nalgene?

-Trevor

Edit: That would be Nalgene outdoor products. There goes my budget. Again.

13. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

After my good price on a 18 oz KK for $15.00US, I went back for a 27 oz. They have dropped Klean Kanteen for 'Mountain Supply". This seems to be an exact copy for a metal loop cap, about 6 different colors . They said the caps are the same, but did not have a Sport Caps to test. 27 oz --$19.95, 40 oz---$22.00 on sale. The main thing is, they are saying it is the same Chinese manufactor. They carry quality stuff for hiking, ski, etc. anyone familiar with this line of bottles??

14. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Never heard of them, and the price doesn't seem like such a great value. I can get a real Klean Kanteen from L.L. Bean for less. I just don't see the value in going with an unknown off-brand unless the savings is far more substantial.

15. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

I used Nalgene bottles for years, especially at work in in the police car. Before finding the mouth inserts I was always dousing myself with water:) I was excited about the Camelbak bottle when they came out. Unfortunately they do not hold up for me. Not only hard to clean but I kept breaking the little flipper thing. Just got a 32 OZ SS water bottle from Dick's that I love. Pics later. Off to the gym.- George

16. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Are the KK ones easy clean?
    thanks

17. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Easy clean in what sense? You can boil them to sterilize them, or, like any other bottle put warm water in them and drop a denture cleaner tablet in them.

18. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

I put our Kleen Kanteen bottles in the dishwasher, and hand wash the caps.

19. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Many thanks for your time, such a swift reply

20. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Just ordered a 40oz thanks to you guys,cheers