1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Muchas gracias!!!

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

De nada.

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I've started phasing out the Personal Notes section, and have added an Accessories section. Added to the Accessories section are reviews of the HumanGear capCAP, Guyot SplashGuard Universal and Guyot TapGuard water filter.

4. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

IMO, you should continue with personal notes; that way we can have both an objective and more personalized outlooks on the bottles and accessories; excellent work thus far, by the way. :)

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

That stuff will still remain. The Facts will give the objective. The Skinny will give the subjective and my personal experiences.

I'm just trying to find a better way to categorize some thoughts, other than lumping them into the numbered Personal Notes section. For instance, I just moved the SplashGuard and capCAP info from Personal Notes to full reviews under the new Accessories section.

6. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Buzzbait, have you seen the reviews on Amazon.com of the Klean Kanteen Wide? Some customers have been complaining about a "green goo" seeping from the stainless lined cap of the Wide. Have you experienced this phenomenon? I don't think I'm going to buy a Wide until Klean Kanteen addresses this phenomenon. Until then I am happy to continue using my Classic and my Guyot Standard.

As for Sigg, have you considered trying its aluminum brethren? I know you dislike the ethics of the company, but they did in fact advertise that the bottles have been tested and proven to not leech BPA... which is good enough for me. New bottles are, as you are well aware, BPA-free, and Sigg is trying hard to regain customers' favor by offering a replacement for all older bottles. I like my Sigg bottle very much, as it is easy to sip from and easier to unscrew than the KK Classic. It is also lighter... although dents more easily.

Something else I was just considering is that you don't mention which bottles can be boiled in (Guyot, Klean Kanteen, Steelworks), and the country of origin (as it is important to some people).

If you don't mind reviewing more plastic bottles, the Nalgene N-Gen is fantastic because it fits in most backpack bottle carriers that are too small for the 1L and is also graduated so you can measure liquids. The OTG is a great bottle for the bike with its flip top that protects the spout from dirt but may leak in a bag (easy access lid), and the ATB is an excellent alternative to the OTG with its squeezy sides and spout, and leakproof flip-top... although unfortunately tastes like HDPE.

7. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

No, I haven't noticed any green goo issues. But that's not surprising, as I've never actually used the stainless lined cap. The day the bottle arrived, I tossed the cap into a box and screwed on a Human Gear capCAP. For those who are worried about this green goo issue (thanks for the heads-up), I highly recommend going with an L.L. Bean Bean Canteen. It is a rebranded Klean Kanteen with the same cap as the normal Klean Kanteen, but without the stainless steel insert.

As an aside, all of the Classic Klean Kanteen caps with stainless parts have had various issues over the years. That's probably one of the reasons why they went to an all-plastic cap as standard, and the stainless caps are only available as accessories.

I had two older aluminum Siggs until a few days ago. I purchased them after the BPA explosion, expecting no BPA. They are on their way back to SIGG for newer replacements. But from what I hear, the newer Siggs have a few issues. The new painted-on liner has had some chipping issues. Also, Sigg refuses to release the composition of the new liner, just like the old one. But I'll be sure to review them when the replacements arrive.

I'm not sure about the boiling. I would think that you could boil water with any stainless steel bottle. Of course, if it's painted, you'd destroy the paint job. I could do some boiling tests, and see if any of the welds develop leaks.

The Nalgene N-Gen looks pretty cool. Sort of a Nalgene version of the Better Bottle. I just haven't seen one in a store yet.

Hehehehehe..... I tried the Nalgene OTG the other day. I never did the darned cap open........

I don't currently own any of the HPDE bottles. I used to have one, but couldn't get over the HPDE taste.

8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The Nalgene Everyday Wide Mouth has been added to the Wide Mouth Accessory Compatibility Matrix.

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I just checked my two Klean Kanteen Wides, after finding the "green goo" reviews. Both of my Wides have the "green goo". It doesn't look to be a real problem though. It's just something left over from the manufacturing process, and happens to get stuck in a tight crease below the lip. I don't know much about how they're manufactured, but it looks a lot like flux. My guess is that steel wool will take it off in a heartbeat. Maybe even a green scrubby pad. I'll try it tomorrow and report back. It definitely has NOTHING to do with the Klean Kanteen Wide cap.

10. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

I really like my 40oz KK classic. I use to clip it outside of my remora gearslinger and strap it with paracord to prevent it from dangling. A little to big for edc though. How do you carry yours?

I thought about the 27oz klean kanteen with the sport cap, but the five oz missing from a standard nalgene really makes a difference.

I now have the BPA free Nalgene Oasis 32oz. Fits well inside my remora.

11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I carry my 40 oz Klean Kanteen in the water bottle pocket of my backpack. It used to be a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon. I recently had to change backpacks, due to a new laptop not quite fitting the narrow width of the Pygmy. Generous water bottle pockets were a major factor in my decision making process. I finally ended up going with an Eastern Mountain Sports Fen backpack. I am also considering a few other carry options. There are lots of options, since the 40 oz Klean Kanteen is the same width as a 32 oz Nalgene. Any 32 oz Nalgene sling should work fine.

[img width=480 height=640]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/fen.jpg[/img]

More than that. A standard 32 oz Nalgene actually holds 40 ounces. My bet is that it holds at least ten more ounces than a 27oz Klean Kanteen. If I think of it tonight, I''ll measure the actual volume of the Klean Kanteen and report back.

12. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I did a bit of detective work on the Klean Kanteen green goo issue this morning. Here is a picture of my 40oz Klean Kanteen Wide. It has the worst goo problem of my 3 wide Klean Kanteens. You can see the green goo. It is very very minimal, and has probably been overlooked by me 100 times. Basically, it's something left over from the construction of the bottle. The spot where it appears is the end of the steel strip that the bottle is made from. The steel is folded over at the rim, to create a comfortable lip for drinking. My guess is that this folded area has a bunch of the goo trapped inside of the fold.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/goo1.jpg[/img]

I took one of those scrubby pads from the kitchen sink, with the scotchbrite pad on one side and a sponge on the other, and scrubbed it quickly with the scotchbrite pad. All trace of the goo was instantly removed. I guess it's possible that there could still be some goo trapped inside of the fold at this point, but who nows? I'll give it a few days and see if any more appears.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Almost_Green_Guy/Water%20Bottles/goo2.jpg[/img]

It looks like the Guyot Standard has a similar folded construction at the lip. But the end of the fold is very far down the lip, past the screw threads, where the lanyard loop sits. Far out of the range of your lips and your taste buds. And there is no green goo to be found there. Guyot scores extra points for placing the end of fold so far way from the lip of the bottle, and for leaving no green goo.

13. thatdamnhewitt

thatdamnhewitt Loaded Pockets

Very good thread!! Is that green stuff algea?

14. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I don't think so. If it were algae, other stainless bottles would have the same problem. I'm guessing that it's flux or leftover abrasive from the polishing of the stainless steel.

15. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

Any chance this stuff could be boiled out (212F) or baked out (300F)?

16. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

If the green goo reappears on the bottle I cleaned, I'll try boiling it out. That would probably has a very good chance of working. Heck, even a hot dish washing might do the trick.

17. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

Just a heads up to anyone buying a Guyot Standard (40 oz) or backpacker (32 oz) wide mouth SS bottle. I bought one last week at EMS and thought the threads weren't compatable with the Camelbak flip top because it leaked. When I checked it with the original cap, that also leaked. I found it leaked at the neck where the cap lanyard loop is attached. As Buzzbait pointed out, it is the fold where the two parts of the bottle are pressed together. No green goo, but no seal either. Brought it back to EMS and they traded it for a new bottle without any questions. The new bottle is good to go without any leaks. Something to look for before you leave it in a pack with things you don't want wet. Later.....................Malcolm

18. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the head's up. It look like none of these companies are batting a thousand, although I don't think that we can reasonably expect a perfect track record for anything at this price point. But it's nice to keep track of who's doing it best.

19. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Added the GSI Glacier 18oz Stainless Steel Bottle Cup to the Accessories section.

20. ctk

ctk Empty Pockets

great thread, any chance you can get some dimensions on these? you don't need to be super precise, but a length and width could help in my decision.