1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. SUBdude

SUBdude Loaded Pockets

I love my KK and HydroFlask bottles, but it seems like the CapCap doesn't fit. I read that people talked about heating up/cooling down. That sounds fine if it works and you're home, but what happens when you're out and you need to refill your bottle. Won't it start leaking again? Are there any other tricks? I'm looking at a HF with the flip top (actually seals vs the KK top for hot coffee) but would like a CapCap for water/cold drinks. Any suggestions?

Last edited by SUBdude, Feb 11, 2016
  2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Your best bet is to just buy a bottle that is compatible with the capCAP.

3. SUBdude

SUBdude Loaded Pockets

I ended up just going with a smaller HF bottle with the flip top lid and the straw cap for water. I'd tried mixing the combinations at home, but none of them work quite right. I notice now CamelBak has the insulated Eddy bottles again, which are compatible with CapCap, but they're really not lid that works with hot drinks. So far very happy with the HF flip top as it seals tight unlike the KK coffee lid.

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Speaking of which... Does anyone make an insulated stainless steel water bottle, 20 or 32oz., that IS compatible with the capCAP?

My 20oz. insulated KK bottle is one of those that leaks with the capCAP. The one plus is that it leaks a lot less than KK's coffee top.

Looking at Humangear's list is not encouraging:

capCAP works with most popular BPA-free 63mm wide-mouth bottles including:
    Nalgene 1L: HDPE, Tritan, PC
    Nalgene SS
    Guyot SS
    Nalgene OTG: Everyday, Tritan, PC
    All CamelBak Better Bottles
    Cyclone (PC)
    The capCAP is not guaranteed to work with Klean Kanteen wide mouth bottles; capCAPs may work on some Klean Kanteen bottles and may leak on others. We've received mixed reports on the compatibility of the capCAP with the HydroFlask Wide Mouth 40 oz. Insulated Stainless Steel Bottle. capCAP is not compatible with the 16 oz. Nalgene bottle.

Just checked out the Nalgene site. Looks like they're down to one model of a tapered s.s. bottle.
    Guyot appears to have gone out of existence.

Last edited by Blackheart, May 18, 2016
  5. Blackheart

Anyone have any experience with EcoVessel bottles?

Are they compatible with products made for the "standard" Nalgene wide-mouth bottle?
    :rofl: I have to a least ask...

6. Blackheart

Well, this is interesting. I've got a couple of bottles and a few caps lying around, so I just started swapping caps to see what works with what.

- Hydro Flask straw cap will not fit a Nalgene bottle (not even close, right diameter but wrong thread).
    - Hydro Flask straw cap will fit a 40 oz KK bottle (no leaks).

- KK cap will not fit a Nalgene bottle.

- capCAP will fit a Nalgene bottle.
    - capCAP will fit a 40 oz KK bottle (no leaks).
    - capCAP will fit a 20 oz KK bottle, but leaks.
    The last 2, I guess, are due to slight manufacturing variations.

Here's a surprise:
    - Nalgene straw cap leaks on a Nalgene bottle (just one of the two bottles I tried).

Looks like all one can do is try a particular combination and see if it works or not.

All I was trying to do was find a straw cap, that I could use with a Berkey water filter, that would fit on a relatively inexpensive s.s. bottle (sorry but the Hydro Flasks are just way too pricey for me). Hydro Flask does makes a nice, sturdy straw cap, though. Nalgene has one too. The straw isn't as sturdy, but it does have a narrow-mouth opening for taking a drink. The nalgene cap will leak if the bottle is inverted due to the vent.* The HF one plugs the vent when closed and can be inverted without leaking.

* - edit: Just tried the Nalgene straw cap on the 40oz KK bottle, inverted. Didn't leak through the vent. [shrug]

- edit again: HF flip lid on a 20oz. insulated KK bottle... FITS AND DOESN'T LEAK! BINGO!
    Okay, now I'm happy. :cool:

- edit, edit, edit: HF flip lid work on 40oz uninsulated KK bottle, too. No leaks.

Last edited by Blackheart, May 27, 2016
  7. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

40 oz Citron Hydro Flask for work

[​IMG]

40 oz Pacific Hydro Flask for off work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

The hydro flask products are some of the best out there. My wife and I each have a 40 oz with straw lids that we each EDC. I have a 18oz sport bottle that I edc when flying somewhere for work. I have a 18 oz and she has a 16oz that we use for coffee with the flip top lids.

Recently just got a 12 oz with a straw lid as a Heavy Duty sippy cup for my son.

GatorMedic likes this.
  9. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Both me and the wife also have the 40oz, but with the flip lids, and they go where we go. JR

GatorMedic and Vartz04 like this.
  10. SUBdude

SUBdude Loaded Pockets

Had a similar experience. Looks like the threads of KK are long enough hat you can tighten down a HF lid, either coffee or straw lid, and it will seal. Good news because we've got some KK bottles around and can use with our HF tops (since KK coffee lid doesn't seal completely).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackheart likes this.
  11. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Im in Portland on vacation, tried to find all the dealers I could. DSG has them 25% right now

12. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

OK, it's official. Our shops suck, your rock. *sniff*

13. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Personally I prefer the Pathfinder bottles. They can be pasturized in a fire, or on a gas stove or what ever. I am not keen on plastic unless I am absolutely confident of my supply of Puri-tabs.

14. Spork

Spork Empty Pockets

I've been digging through reviews on amazon for HF and KK. Both have a few saying that the composition of the metal has changed. Reports of retaining flavor and a metallic taste to the water. A guy had a magnet and verified that a old vs new kk was for sure different.

I tried the kk a while back but couldn't do it because of metal dental work. Same sensation as silverware against fillings. Most of that is covered now so hopefully I will be ok and or just use one of the plastic drinking caps. I have 40 oz on the way for me and a 12 oz to keep milk cold for my little guy.

I do like nalgene bottles and have the human gear cap as well. I also have one of the neoprene sleeves. However it simply doesn't stay cold on a hot day even when I fill it with ice. I've destroyed one by trying to freeze it half full of water with no lid. Which brings me to the next topic.

The water fountains at my work are quite gross. Visually and by taste. The ice machine is probably nasty also. I'm going to buy a supply of the covered ice cube trays for home. That way I can make my own ice with filtered water and hopefully they won't taste like the crab cakes my wife has the freezer filled with.

I'm also planning to keep a cooler in my vehicle where I can keep my lunch and extra nalgene bottles for a refill. Its a sweatshop in the summer and some days even a gallon of water won't do it.

15. Blackheart

I know you've already made your choice, but if you need to keep water cold, HydroFlask touts the ability of their vacuum-insulated bottle to keep drinks cold twice as long as the insulated KK bottle.

I made a comment previously about the HF bottles being too pricey for me. I later did a serious comparison of prices between HF and KK and they're in the same ballpark at least.

16. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Here's a little trick that I thought I had posted a pic of but I guess not,, I live off of flavored water, basically a zero cal iced tea, the only thing is I hate it when it gets warm, and also when it the ice melts and you lose flavor! Now the smaller the ice the faster it melts, so what I found that works is if anyone gets Rx the lager tubes fit perfectly, so I fill up two diff sizes "with what I drink" so when it melts it doesn't lose any flav, and in a hydroflask, after 24hrs in 80deg you will still hear ice clinking the insides! I love it! JR

[​IMG]

fresh eddie fresh and Blackheart like this.
  17. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Wow what a read :)

Like many here I've tried for years to find the best solution for me trying all the usual suspects kk, hydro, thermos, Stanley Ecco vessel Boulder all worked ok and loads more that didn't even warrant a mention.

Anyway whilst at Costco in the uk I cam across these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avex-Brazos-Autoseal-24oz-Stainless-Water-Bottle-Matte-Black-Vacuum-Insulated/131850590268?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D2c2370d600f24abda8ce696ac49b34e3%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D9%26sd%3D131830567656

Pretty much spot on for my usage wide enough to clean easily and get ice cubes in but nice to drink from and most importantly I've not had a leak in around a year, there's a little plastic flap that clicks over to stop dust etc from getting onto the sipppy bit. The insulation is good not quite KK or thermos good but still has ice cubes after about 5 hours in a hot car. Very comfortable to hold due to the contours. I only use mine for water so cleaning the lid is pretty easy just a good soak, however it would prove difficult to clean properly for other drinks.

Overall the best water bottle I've found for my needs out of all the ones I've tested for drinking out of an ease of getting ice cubes in, the only thing letting it down is the ability to get in and clean inside the lid with a brush etc, not really an issue if it's just water. Hope it helps someone else who was having similar problems to myself finding the right balance for an insulated water bottle.

18. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]Nalgene has the standard steel bottle on its website again!!!

I have to say that I'm extremely happy with my purchase and think buzzbait's assessment was spot on. The bottle is certainly more robust than my KK and more versatile than the hydroflask. Nalgene seems to have made some updates to the bottle, both good and bad.

The retainer strap does not have the Allen screws mentioned in other posts and easily removes. The color of the plastic on the retainer strap is an off brownish orange... Similar in color to the "new posts" button at the bottom of the forum page.

The threads of the bottle seem slightly different and do not work with a standard nalgene lid. I may email Nalgene about this.

The bottle holds Just 40 ounces when full, and is heavy.... That being said... I managed to drop mine on the first day nearly full, and didn't get any dents.

While I loved my KK... I won't buy another one. Mine dented easily, and I grew tired of handwashing the caps. Plus nalgenes always seem to seal better.

My hydroflask was also great, but I recently started drinking room temperature water (because it supposedly absorbs better) And don't need coffee to stay hot longer than 2 hours. My hydroflask also seemed to leak at times

It doesn't hurt that the nalgene name has sentimental value to me. Many trips in the national parks would never be the same for me without it.

Last edited by b.s., Jul 10, 2016
  19. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

So to throw another iron into this fire, I just bought a Yeti rambler bottle. Vacuumn insulated like hydro flask, the big difference is the extra wide openeing. I believe it's the widest on the market. It is amazing. I can drink coffee straight out of it. I'm a big fan, though they are pricey. Will keep my coffee too hot for 4 hours, and ice left in water over night did not melt.

20. ipsilateral

ipsilateral Empty Pockets

Awesome thread, I have a 40oz hydro flask that was bought for me, it does a great job keeping things cool or warm but I can't get over the lack of a leak proof drinking lid.