1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, darn - but thanks for doing the legwork! :D

2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Because you have a magic touch? :D

3. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Here's the humangear capcap I used to have on my Nalgene.

[​IMG]

Here it is threaded perfectly on my HF.

[​IMG]

Showing how it handles with leaks.

It leaked about three small drops during that test. EDIT: those drops might have been on it to begin with from me filling the bottle a moment before. Didn't actually look prior.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmedina likes this.
  4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I apologize if you thought I was questioning your claims.

The CapCap, as you've demonstrated can fit the Hydroflask and Klean Kanteen bottles. The catch is that the threading on the KK and, I believe, the HF is smaller than the Nalgene/CB. Which means it can be tricky to get the cap on right the first time, versus screwing the cap on the larger threads of the Nalgene/CB.

Hence my flippant comment about your magic touch being able to get it screwed on right without additional fiddling.

GatorMedic likes this.
  5. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I didn't. You're all good. Just showing it for the thread and decided to quote your post while I was at it

tmedina likes this.
  6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

a few before mine, someone said to put it into ice water, I was last and put the whole bottle in the freezer.

RogerStenning and tmedina like this.
  7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

8. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

actually, I was 'lazy' and put it in the freezer.

9. Matthew Hess

Matthew Hess Loaded Pockets

So... I have two updates:

1) I purchased an Eco Vessel BIGFOOT 45-oz Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle with Dual Opening. So far it's pretty nice. Seems about as well built as a Hydro Flask aside from one thing which I'll get to.
    The majority of reviews on Amazon were positive. The negatives did show what I imagine are inevitable flaws, mainly with the cap breaking. I can see that as the plastic looks a little cheap and potentially brittle. The cap has the same [powder?] coating as the bottle. Nice for the look, but the smaller cap is a little slippery. I'd have preferred a rubberized cap, but it'll do for now.

I noticed the bottom has a pressed on base, kind of like some of the Thermos brand vacuum bottles. Depending on how well it's pressed on, and how much I baby this thing, that looks like a potential weak point as well. My Hydro Flask has nothing like this, and it's a good thing because the bottom of my HF bottle has all kinds of dents on it from me dropping it. If I drop the BIGFOOT I'm worried it'll knock that cap loose and break the vacuum seal. We'll see. For now it's my designated office bottle, but eventually the newness will wear off and it'll go out in the field with me.

The additional 5oz is nice. I pound water at work but didn't want to drink out of a growler-sized bottle, so this is nice. Between the extra volume and the higher cap, it's a good couple inches taller than a HF. Not entirely backpack friendly.

2) I purchased a Camelbak Durable Chute Cap to try on my Hydro Flask and IT FITS!!
    Well.... mostly. If you don't put the large diameter retaining ring on the mouth/opening of the bottle when you screw the cap on you get a nice tight seal. The problem with that is, now you have this big ring dangling off the back.
    Option 1: Use it as a larger carrying loop/handle.
    Option 2: Cut it off and tie some string or bungee cord off to it so you still have something hold the small diameter cap.
    Option 3: Take the whole thing off and just hold the small cap in your hand while your drinking.

I went with option 2 (I'll post a picture later). It's not pretty but it's functional and I can now drink water without having to sip or suck through a straw.

I'm totally expecting the rubber coating to wear off or start getting either gummy or moldy. We'll see how that plays out. But for now I'm super happy to finally be able to drink out of my Hydro Flask like a normal person. It's not perfect, but things rarely are. So while it's not a Human Gear capCAP, at least this works.

10. Matthew Hess

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Matthew Hess, Oct 30, 2015
  11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Be careful - I've found the Camelbak Chute cap tends to come off easily.

12. Matthew Hess

So far it's actually pretty tight and secure. Not sure if the threads will wear and it'll loosen up but right now it's solid.

tmedina likes this.
  13. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried the various 'copies' of the Swell bottle. Eg. Water Vault, MIRA, Ezisoul ... I ma sure there are half a dozen others.

Is the difference solely the nice paint job and the price tag?

tmedina likes this.
  14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The cap part over the spout, I mean - the main body that attaches to the bottle stays connected just fine.

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Basically. I bought a clone insulated bottle on Amazon and it works just fine for experimentation purposes. It seems to be a trend of clones popping up after a product proves to be successful.

The difference will probably manifest in terms of brand support - warranties and so forth; if my clone happens to disintegrate, I'm not going to hold my breath on a warranty.

Jean likes this.
  16. Matthew Hess

I know which part you meant. :)
    The spout cap is solid too. I didn't realize right away that the threading was kn the inside of the spout. We'll see how it holds up but so far it holds secure.

tmedina likes this.
  17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool - I hope they've improved it since I got mine; there's only one or two turns holding it in place on my model.

18. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

So I'm gonna admit to laziness, and say that I haven't read all 25 pages of this. Can anyone recommend a cozy as good as the LL Bean or the GreenSmart? LL Bean doesn't have them on their site, and GreenSmart doesn't appear to have a site now at all. I'm looking for non-neoprene, and will fit a Klean Kanteen 27oz Wide. Thanks!

19. Per Arne

Per Arne Loaded Pockets

I have used Nalgene water bottles, but have now changed to Klean Kanteen and Hydro with different caps and so far I am very pleased.
    After seen the Fred Beverages 18oz One Bottle in stainless, I thought I would try it and pre-ordered and pre-paid for it in July 2015. I have been twice in contact with them now in January 2016 asking them when it would be available with no answer so far. Have any of you used this bottle and what is your impression of it ?

20. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I've been really interest in Klean Kanteen, especially the insulated ones that can double for coffee. My problem is my backpacking water filter fits a nalgene, so I usually stick with them.

ran23 likes this.