1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Hydroflask all the way!! I live off of the 40oz with the flip lid! As for the canteen I have two original setups, the stove just go around the cup tight, and when needed just pull it off and flip it. This way the bean shape is reversed and the tapered end is against the cup. As for the cover, I don't remember them being very tight, cause the stove is paper thin and the lip on the cup and handles are wider then the stove attachment..
    JR
    [​IMG]

GatorMedic likes this.
  2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I'll 2nd that!
    JR

3. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

This thread got long, need a new summary :)

4. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Canteen shop and Heavy Cover...... The lid does not fit tight but has a nice lip for straining. (I guess?)

[​IMG]WIN_20150828_111625 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

No Agenda likes this.
  6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yup. Same. It fits the cup, but is a bit tight. The cup, stove, and canteen will fit in the standard canteen pouch. But once again, a bit tight. Minor issue.

7. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

At this time I have a Kleen Kanteen 27 oz, Camelbak Chute 1 liter, and a Nalgene bottle too. I also have two military plastic canteens on one of my packs. I have been looking for a stainless steel non-insulated bottle in 32 oz or 1 liter size. KK jumps from 27 oz to 40 oz. I prefer the 1 liter for water filtration, if necessary. I also want the non-insulated so I can boil water, if necessary. The Guyot backpacker looks nice, but it is too small. (asked Amazon to carry the bigger size, so far no luck) I love my KK with the Glacier cup. But the two do not nest together at all. The cup is way too wide for the KK. I am also wanting to get insulators for the non-insulated ss bottles. On top of that, I want to carry them on the outside of my packs in a Condor type carrier, with molle attachment. The prices on the Maxpedition one are pricey, for what it is. I am not sure if the Rothco would hold up. I definitely don't want a no name brand one. If I am going fishing, I carry a very small cooler with me, so ice, and coolness are not a problem. So this would not be a pack for getting on a city bus, or walking in the park. This would be for outdoor recreation, or emergency preparedness. Otherwise I'd probably try that Hydro Flask. The Guyot likely will be too wide for one of those molle zip up carriers. The Blackthorn might work, but I read varying reviews on it. I don't want it to leak, it is thin, and light. But I also read about leaking. I don't want it to leak. Any ideas?

8. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    I had a Stainless Steel Hydroflask for over a year and a half. That thing was magical! So I bought a black one for my edc pack and sold the SS. I wanted a smaller insulated one for coffee but the small oz hydroflask only had the one with the cap (not the one where you can hook). So I opted for the KK 16oz insulated where I can clip it to things if needed. This is my first insulated KK. Are these just as good as my hydroflask???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorMedic likes this.
  9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I have an insulated Klean Kanteen that I used every work day for years, until just last week. I have no complaints at all. It's a great bottle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ok cool cuz I heard something about the lid not being durable

11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I used the plastic loop lid, and never had a problem.

12. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Last question, do you know if the KK insulated cap (one where you can clip carabiners) fit in the smaller oz Hydroflask (ones that come with drinking lid like for coffee etc)

13. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Yes. A wide mouth Klean Kanteen cap will work fine on a newer style wide mouth Hydroflask.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Out of curiosity, which do you prefer: Hydroflask or Klean Kanteen? I know it's a loaded question

15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

To tell you the truth, I don't have a brand preference between the insulated wide mouth bottles. They're both very good. I just moved to a Hydroflask because I was searching for larger bottle, and the shop down the street sells Hydroflask.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me neither hence I have the two. My local outdoor store was carrying the Hydroflask. And I was actually looking for a 12oz KK wide mouth which they didn't have. Went to another outdoor store and they had KK 16oz side mouth on sale so I jumped on it

17. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Whoa. What am I doing wrong? I bought a HydroFlask Straw Cap hoping to use it on a Nalgene Wide Mouth and it wouldn't fit (right diameter, wrong thread).

My capCAP is interchangeable between the KK and the Nalgene, so they are the same diameter and thread (don't have a HydroFlask to compare with).

18. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I consider Camelbak and Nalgene to have a pretty solid standard thread for wide mouth bottles. Every other manufacturer uses something a bit different, probably to cut costs. Unfortunately, this means that cross-manufacturer retrofits are very hit and miss. Even the capCAP/KK combo sometimes has leaking issues.

19. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Even though the HumanGear website warns against it, some people had success so I gave it a try. My combo leaks (of course). :(

Last edited by Blackheart, Aug 31, 2015
  20. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Wow. I picked up the Hydroflask straw cap tonight. It totally rocks on my 32oz wide mouth Hydroflask. It's got to be the best designed straw cap I've had the pleasure of using. Robust, easy to use, and absolutely no leakage. As an added bonus, the setup happens to fit nicely in my new Condor H2O pouch.

Last edited by Buzzbait, Sep 3, 2015
    kkay, GatorMedic and BobsBargains like this.