1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. GiveMeLight

GiveMeLight Loaded Pockets

Nice review -
    I've been using Nalgene bottles of various sizes for 15 years now. I hike with them, fly with them, and take them to work. I have never had one leak. Not in flight, nor upside down in my backpack. :) As mentioned, the one weak point would be the cap tether, but that's why they sell replacements.
    I don't find that the lexan Nalgene bottles impart any taste to water, seem neutral to me. (The lexan ones are clear,smoke, or colored plastic... the opaque whitish ones do impart a plastic taste to water in my experience...) -Although I admit to not having tried any of the new "BPA free" Nalgene bottles (Haven't had to buy any new bottles, old bottles doing just fine thank you.)

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

As someone who obsesses about the pros and cons of similar EDC items ALL THE TIME, I'm grateful to you for posting this thread, Buzzbait! O0

So far, I think I may go with either a 27 or 40 oz Klean Kanteen, and transfer my HG capCAP from my Nalgene to whichever one I end up getting. I think I may pick up a 12oz Klean Kanteen as well. I can't wait for the outdoors stores in my area to get these things in stock, already!

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I just added a "Wide Mouth Accessory Compatibility Matrix" to the end of the review, so you know which caps and accessories will work with each wide mouth bottle.

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Awesome! :thumbsup:

5. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

I saw an ad of theirs some time ago and sent off an email. US Canteen's canteens are made in China. Oh, the irony.

6. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

There's nothing ironic at all about the power of money. The very force that drives us to put food in our mouths gives us sufficient reason to sell our souls, if the price is right.

7. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Those US Canteens look awesome. I almost ordered one the other night but just couldnt justify paying £30+ (inc shipping from Amazon) for a water bottle.

Yet. Lol.

8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The US Canteens do look sweet.

The Chinese manufacturing of all stainless steel water bottles (at least every one that I've investigated) is troubling, but certainly not shocking. How many Americans would pay $50 to $60 for a stainless steel bottle? That's probably what they'd cost if US labor rates, and all other expenses related to US manufacture, were part of the mixture. The company would go out of business before it even got started. I'd be glad to pay the high price for one, but the 99% of Americans who demand WalMart pricing for everything surely would not.

At least with companies like Klean Kanteen an Guyot, you can feel reasonably safe in the knowledge that workers are being treated ethically, and that the bottles are safe to drink from.

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I added the Guyot SplashGuard to the "Wide Mouth Accessory Compatibility Matrix", for the sake of completeness. No surprises here. The fit is identical to the Guyot SplashGuard.

10. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I know this may be a bit of a stupid question, but will the Nalgene bottle carrier also fit the 38 ounce Standard bottle, even though it's stated to hold 32 ounce bottles?

Thank you. ^^;

11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

It should fit without a problem. Believe it or not, the Guyot/Nalgene Standard is actually the same diameter as a plastic Nelgene bottle, and even shorter in length.

I'll be working on the puzzle this weekend, as to why there is no apparent correlation between the stated physical volumes and a number of bottle's physical outer dimensions. I have gathered my measuring cups, finally gotten in a Tritan Nalgene for testing, and dug my digital calipers out of the garage. I am poised and ready.

12. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

Good write up, Buzzbait! :roof:

I noticed you mentioned the Guyot TapGuard in your chart. Do you own one? I've been considering it as a purchase, but haven't found a decent review of it anywhere. If you own one, a review of it would be nice to compliment this article/write up.

Thanks! :cool:

13. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Just what to say Thanks for this thread. I went to my local outdoor store and got a 18 oz Klean Kanteen for $15.00US. my first, I'm happy. next, a wide mouth. and I also gave up bottled water.

14. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Yes, I do have a TapGuard. I'll try to have a review added to this thread before the weekend is over.

Good man!!!! There are few industries more dishonest and harmful than the bottled water industry. The deeper you look into this industry, the uglier and uglier it is. If allowed to follow its current course, they could possibly take over most municipal water supplies, and make water the most monetarily valuable commodity on earth. Scary stuff.

15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

The Big Bottle Volume Mystery has been added, revealing the true volumes of the Guyot Standard, the 40 oz Klean Kanteen Wide and the 32oz Nalgene Everyday bottle.

Coming soon are reviews of the 32 oz Nalgene Everyday and the Guyot TapGuard water filter.

16. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

:include:

...can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! Great work!

Cheers,

Matt

17. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I sent Buzzbait a PM and he sent me the following links to places that have good selections and the cap CAP (which I had and lost and recommend highly). Here is the PM contents:

I then did some browsing and found that Lighthound has the cap CAP and the Kleen Kanteen bottles and both are significantly cheaper, though after shipping it is closer to even.

18. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Review of the Nalgene 32oz Everyday Wide Mouth has been added to the Wide Mouth Bottles section. Illustrative picture added to The Big Bottle Volume Mystery.

19. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

You know, if that EDCwiki ever comes into existence, this information most definitely needs to be posted to it.

Or even just a sticky on this thread. o.o;

20. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Good idea. Done.