1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Picked up another 27oz, that makes 3 now.....I think thats enough right

3 27oz
    1 40oz
    1 16oz insulated

2. OneBigAnt

OneBigAnt Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the great write up and I must add my endorsement for the insulated kleen.

3. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

I'm a Sigg man. Must admit the 16oz insulated KK is my next bottle purchase.

4. Flexxx

5. bnbstrategies

bnbstrategies Empty Pockets

Best Cozy for KK 20oz insulated?

6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Why bother with a cozy? It's already insulated. Little to no heat/cold loss, and no condensation whatsoever, all without a cozy.

7. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

(1) sound and (2) protection against dings. My wife's insulated KK is kinda beaten up now, and it clangs against keys or anything else metallic. Buzzbait is right though: you don't need it for insulation.

8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Fair enough! I don't uses cozy's for ding protection, just because my bottles would no longer fit in my bike cages. I instead employ rubber wristbands, like those yellow Livestrong bands. Some are bigger than others, so you have to find the ones that match the outside diameter of your bottle. I use the bands to hold a piece of tough plastic around the bottle. The plastic was originally in the bottom a cloth reusable bag. Just for decoration, I throw various stickers onto the plastic.

Rings made of old bicycle tire inner tube work great also. Thinner, but essentially free if you have an old one in the garage.

[​IMG]

9. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Sweet idea, and bonus points for a DIY solution. Thanks for the pic!

10. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I got a piece of foil covered bubble wrap and made a sleeve for my nalgene. Insulates it really well and cost pennies.

11. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Outdoor Products make nice neoprene slip covers. I got a couple that fir 1qt/liter and .6l Siggs. A little pricey at 12-$15 though.

12. CrustyD3mon

CrustyD3mon Loaded Pockets

i always love that tad botte! makes a god pair with that knife!!!

13. Flexxx

Thanks bro, Love Esee knives....

14. Flexxx

New GITD Nalgene bottle I just picked up...

[​IMG]

15. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I too thought I'd found a (nearly) perfect combo in the Klean Kanteen Insulated and the Capcap. The kanteen is a trooper; water, tea and smoothies are all icy after hours and hours, and hot cocoa stayed uncomfortable-to-drink for as long. I love being able to get hot coffee to go on my bike or on foot and not have to worry about it. And the capcap is wonderful. I get all the cleaning and filling convenience of a wide mouth (I once tried to get a smoothie in my narrow mouthed bottle, it was a debacle), and all the drinking convenience of a narrow mouth.

Yet... the leaking. It looks like Klean Kanteen uses just very slightly different threading. In my case, the leaking isn't very bad. Just a couple droplets. Not so bad that I'm going to stop using the combo. Though I would if I had to carry my bottle inside my bag. It wouldn't soak my papers, but it would stain a few. It's very disappointing. Perhaps I can devise some sort of custom food safe gasket.

I also wish the Klean Kanteen were just a bit larger. Anywhere from 5 to 12 ounces more internal volume. And it'd be nice if the Capcap were available in a few other colors. All black or gray and orange would've been awesome.

Maybe someday Klean Kanteen will wise up, or Guyot or Nalgene will make an insulated bottle.

16. bnbstrategies

bnbstrategies Empty Pockets

Just for better grip. Good to know it wont sweat. Is the outside cold or hot depending on the contents? Going to Going gear next week to pick one up.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear about the leaking you've experienced. I'm considering possibly picking up a 40oz. Klean Kanteen. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the narrow-mouth version though. I have a capCap on my insulated Camelbak bottle. No complaints yet. When I was at REI, I tried out the capCap on the wide-mouth Klean Kanteen 40oz. bottle. It seemed to require less turns than on my Camelbak. I can see how such a fit might possibly cause a bit of leaking.

I'd like to possibly use a shoulder-strap to carry the 40oz. bottle. As good as the capCap is, it's loop would not be nearly strong enough. The cap on the narrow-mouth version would be. (I could use the wide-mouth's standard cap. But would likely cause plenty of spill if I tried drinking out of the wide-mouth opening.)

18. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Nope. The outside is pretty much the same as the ambient temperature. The only clue you really have as to the temperature of the contents is the temperature of the cap. The cap can get slightly warm if the contents are hot.

19. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I know exactly what you mean. I use this in the woods with my Guyot stainless, but am looking for a better solution.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I hear you. I recently bought a water-carrier from EMS for my 32oz. wide-mouth Nalgene bottle. It comes with a long and thick velcro belt-loop. It's basically the civilian version of the water-carrier worn by NYPD officers. It's decent, but far from ideal. You can use the narrow-mouth 32oz. Nalgene bottle with it, but the top of the container starts to bulge out.

Really wish Klean Kanteen would make a good shoulder-strap carried pouch for their line of bottles. Especially their 40oz. version.