1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buzzbait's Guide to Water Bottles

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buzzbait, Sep 22, 2009.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Well i just figured that i would through it in, i got my Hydro Flask the 40oz, it will do as they said it will 24hrs COLD, hot, im not sure, cause well, im not really into any thing hot, and its still summer. the only thing im not to into is the size of the opening, pretty big, but nice thing is you can put just about anything goes for cooling, i found out that for anyone who takes meds, the larger bottles (Rx) the orange ones, will work for freezing! work great! drop two in(or one large) or even one large and one small! that will keep what ever you want cold, COLD! i even found a spaghetti holder, just a tad to big, but if you run it under some warm water for a few sec, it will fit!! JR

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

You sure about that? My guyot had a visible seam inside the bottle, and my new ss nalgene is lathe spun, no seam.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

3. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Just got a capCap, could be the best $6 I've spent in quite a while!

[​IMG]

No leaks, looks good, and it's so much more comfortable and convenient to drink out of than the wide mouth on the bottle. Drinking straight from the bottle always left a few drops of water (well, Gatorade for me) on the threads that would eventually drip down my chin. It was also impossible to drink while walking, but none of that is an issue now. I can't believe just how comfortable the capCap is to drink from. It seems like it was shaped to fit my mouth. Thanks Buzzbait for recommending this great product!

4. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Just popped into to say that I've become a dedicated Hydro Flask convert for urban use. I absolutely love the 24oz narrow mouth model. It keeps water cool forever, and even fits in my bike's bottle cage.

But like other water bottle companies, Hydro Flask has some issues. The standard narrow mouth cap is fine, but the narrow mouth sport cap isn't so good. Pull too hard on the top to sip, and it pulls right off. The flow isn't as good as the KK sport cap either.

When it comes to the wide mouth bottles, Hydro Flask totally messed up by using their own proprietary thread design, so no third party caps and accessories work with the wide mouth Hydro Flask. Splash guards won't even work with them. Total bummer. If they got the lip and threads right, the 40oz wide mouth would be a wicked value.

For outdoor use, the Guyot/Nalgene Standard, coupled with a Human Gear capCAP and GSI cup, is still my bottle of choice. Pretty close to unbeatable, IMHO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

i told you they were good, the only thing i dont like on them are the spouts, and unfortunately you cant put any other caps on, although the 40oz might fit the capCap? i took my nalgene bottle(same as you have below) cap and it screws on, and doesn't leak? yet the opening size are supposedly off by a few mm? hydro flask bottle 2.2in/5.6cm, capcap 63mm, NALGENE 63mm. ive spoke to them and they said there supposedly coming out with diff tops for the 40/64oz very shortly, one is a spout,, i guess we'll see.. JR
    [​IMG]

6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

No luck with the capCAP on the wide mouth Hydro Flask. The threads are just too different. :-(

7. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Just came back to check out this thread, Klean Kanteen is still running strong.........and my kids have put it threw hell

8. Flexxx

after going through this thread I decided I needed another Klean Kanteen, picked up a 27oz.....love it

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Very timely post as I've started to carry my Klean Kanteen 27oz again. It's a good size and the thinner diameter compared to most bottles makes it a pleasure to carry and easy to stow in smaller bag pockets.

10. Leif242424

Leif242424 Loaded Pockets

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love my Klean Kanteen 27 oz. Mostly, in an urban setting where I can easily refill.

[​IMG]
    mumbo edc snacks by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

I lost the cap once, which was horrible. Any ideas who to lanyard it on someway?

12. browneyes

browneyes Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the info Buzzbait. After reading your thread, I went ahead and ordered a kleen kanteen insulated 20oz. to supplement my nalgene 16oz. as my water bottle.

Gotta keep the drinks cool in the hot Cali sun :)

13. Flexxx

14. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

True. There's no more versatile bottle to take into the bush than the Guyot/Nalgene. It performs terrific when thrown into campfire coals for sterilizing water or just to make hot tea or coffee.

The CapCAP is considerably better than the default cap for general water consumption.

Also to note, the GSI cup combo is a strong fit. But there are a now a number of titanium cups that also combo well with the bottle and help shed a few precious ounces (for you ultralighters).

15. Interlude

Interlude Loaded Pockets

Thanks for turning me on to the Humangear Capcap, it's pretty much a perfect replacement for the stock Nalgene top. Drinking out of it... OK maybe I'm nuts but I feel like the water even tastes better :)

16. Flexxx

Just picked up a 40oz Klean Kanteen, its fat and awesome...

17. MainePreper

MainePreper Loaded Pockets

I've had a 27oz Kleen Kanteen for a while now and I love it. The only trouble I've had is that the steel hoop rides along the side of the neck and rattles while I'm driving. A quick, custom cobra stitch with some hollowed out 550 cord did the trick, plus it's kinda sharp looking...

[​IMG]

18. Texasbygod

Texasbygod Empty Pockets

Great Post!!
    Thanks for helping with a long time quest for the "perfect" bottle.

19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sharp looking indeed.. Thanks, consider that idea stolen with tribute to you sir.

20. Flexxx

The only problem I have had with my 40oz Klean Kanteen is I seem to drink alot more.....that means going to the bathroom alot more also.