1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buying the moto x; why not?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Epicxxxx, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Epicxxxx

Epicxxxx Loaded Pockets

I have been in love with this phone, and what a shock its on sale till Valentine's day. I'm a few days out from pulling the trigger, any last words,? Should I just buy it now cuz the phone is great, or is their something I should wait for?

2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

It's a good phone. The screen size, resolution, and lank of expandable storage, swappable battery are its cons. For me those were deciding factors against. But it's quite good otherwise.

Epicxxxx likes this.
  3. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

I have been perfectly happy with my Moto G after coming from a Samsung SIII, so personally I don't even think the Moto X is necessary but you will not be dissappointed. ;)

Epicxxxx likes this.
  4. JoePfeiffer

JoePfeiffer Loaded Pockets

My son is very happy with his Moto X. But.. my Nexus 5 is also outstanding and much less expensive.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

Epicxxxx likes this.
  5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

The Moto X is actually cheaper than the Nexus 5 right now. There's also a few good usability enhancements that aren't in the 5.

My only concern would be that Google just sold off their Motorola division to Lenovo, so long-term support is a little bit shakier. But with Android, it never was any good in the first place (Google only claims 18-month support on their Nexus phones).

With technology, there's always something in the pipeline. In April-ish, the new Samsung Galaxy and HTC One phones are due.

Very few Android phones have a replaceable battery or expandable storage.

Epicxxxx likes this.
  6. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

I am about to get one, rather than another Samsung or Nexus. It's less expensive and smaller than other smart phones. The cons don't matter too much because the phone can be replaced in a couple of years.

Epicxxxx likes this.
  7. camit34

camit34 Loaded Pockets

It's a great phone. If you dig and want it, pull the trigger and don't look back!

If you want to wait and see what's coming out later this year, MWC starts Feb 24 and there should be a ton of new phones announced there.

Epicxxxx likes this.
  8. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

This is why I went with the Moto G.

I am waiting to see how the next quarter goes, and what comes out. That, and the carriers in Canada, just switched from 3yr to 2yr terms, and raised monthly plan pricing through the roof for high end smart phones. I am waiting to see how things play out, as there is a whole ton of upset customers at this point.

camit34 likes this.
  9. Epicxxxx

Epicxxxx Loaded Pockets

I appreciate all of the input, thanks guys. The cons on this phone cannot sway me from a future purchase. (I believe this is a great use for IMO)

The smaller screen is not small, it is just shy of 5" inches, what is a fraction of an inch going to do for me. I dont need a movie theater in my pocket so the 720p display is fine with me.

A non removable battery is just fine as I never carried a spare battery. (even though I had them sitting in a drawer)
    Expandable storage would be nice, but just like a removable battery, I have never take advantage of this feature.

The biggest con I find would be the camera, which takes okay pictures. The pictures typically come out muted, with little saturation.

If i was not singed into a contract I would love to rock the moto G on a pay as you go type of plan.

The nexus 5 is a definite contender and is about the same cost as of now, but the touchless control with the moto x grips a part of my imagination I cant let go
    (there is a red nexus just around the corner?)

Motorola being sold at first had me worried, but i have come to terms and have high hopes for Lenovo. (do these guys know what the are doing?)

Lenovo also said it would necessarily pull out of the US if that is what the market demanded.

Anyway, Thanks again

10. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

I saw it ans was disappointed. My two year old phone was old when I bought it and has a better camera, microsd card slot and microhdmi port. The new one would be quite a downgrade.

11. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

There's always a better phone coming out next month, and the month of that. It's just the current structure of the industry. When it's time to get a new phone, get the best one available, or the best one available at a reasonable price, and resign yourself to the fact that it'll be outdated before it's time to change the clocks again. With a little luck, it'll still be working when the next contract comes around.

12. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

The big problem is the general direction they are going. Google and Motorola have both dropped Sdcard slots. There are many people who don't have issues with Apple so if they remove the advantages of Android phones then there is less reason for those people to not just buy an iphad.

13. Epicxxxx

Epicxxxx Loaded Pockets

Just placed my order... February 20th is the expected ship date. 7 days is not bad for a built to order anything!

14. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

Looks like a good phone, however I might be a little worried about the update support it will get because Motorola was just bought by Lenovo. They might want to kill it in order to get their own branded device out soon. Personally I'm waiting on the Sony Z1 Compact, that's the best no compromise phone I've seen.

15. Epicxxxx

Epicxxxx Loaded Pockets

Hey Guys, super duper late update! Moto X is Great!

Guess what? I dropped it, broke the screen.

It's okay, our good neighbors in Texas offer a one time replacement for the first year on the custom moto x's if it is needed, no hassle.

Best Phone Ever!no other company does this.:bounce:

16. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I love my moto x as well. I've been using it for a while. The battery life could be better but that probably just me over using it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk