1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buying my first hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by E.D.C, Jul 29, 2016.

1. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

I was looking to buy a remington 700 26in 300win mag long action, later on i was thinking of threading the rifle for a silencer.

Any advice :

When they thread the rifle i heard that it has to be a certain way of threading it but i have no clue on my options or how i should tell the company threading it i heard something about concentric to the bore,

Also am i buying a good rifle for hunting / long range targets?

2. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

if done by a competent gunsmith, the barrel's muzzle will be supported by a live (roller bearing) center when the threads are cut on a lathe... and possibly re crowned if necessary , and should be very concentric with the bore...

Last edited by les snyder, Jul 29, 2016
  3. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Depends on what you are hunting.. thats a lot of rifle. a silencer really isnt going to come close silencing that thing.

Stutz likes this.
  4. HCFXJ

HCFXJ Loaded Pockets

700 is good platform. 300win is a lot of gun and ammo isn't the cheapest but you can hunt any big game animal and it'll reach out there no problem. 30-06 is popular, plenty of gun for hunting any animals lots of ammo selections and you can find it just about anywhere, 308 is another great 30 caliber round. There's so many calibers an rounds anymore.

E.D.C likes this.
  5. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Agree that's a lot of rifle. Make sure you consider how, what, and where you are hunting. Lugging 30+ inches of barrel over and through bush may not be something you want to do especially if you don't really need more than 20" of velocity.

E.D.C and Stutz like this.
  6. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

First hunting rifle? Where and what are you hunting ?
    .243 is a great place to start as a first hunting rifle....
    Forgiving kick. More than sufficient to drop a deer and cheep enough that you don't feel bad blasting a bunny with it.

My3kidsfather, patientcero and E.D.C like this.
  7. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

My favorite is my 77 in 257 Roberts . lite recoil , lite to carry. . 31 years of use ,just a great rifle.

Jake

My3kidsfather and patientcero like this.
  8. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Old tried and true: .30-06 Good for a variety of game animals and a respectable range of distances I find reasonable for hunting and not trying to be a world class sniper and actually "hunt" your game.

More modern: 6.5 Creedmor Depending on the load, it can attain muzzle velocity and trajectory of that 300 WM. Proven for hunting and can double as a long range toy depending on your glass and interests in touching 1000 yards if you want.

LivingUpNorth and My3kidsfather like this.
  9. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I'd think it would start with what you're hunting for. .300 Win magnum is a pretty powerful cartridge with a kick that's at the upper limit of what most people can handle and probably overkill all but the largest North American game or at extreme distances. If you're thinking about whitetail there are lots of other cartridges that would be more appropriate and a lot more fun to shoot. .308, .270, 7mm-08, .257 .243, .30-06, etc.

If you're thinking about getting into long distance competition shooting, that's an entirely different animal.

10. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

If you are going to get a Rem700, you may want to read up on the issues people have had with the trigger.

11. Hopbuilt

Hopbuilt Loaded Pockets

You might want to check out the Ruger American series rifles. Great shooting rifle for the price. Several of the models come with the barrels already threaded. As several people have mentioned, the 300 win is a lot of rifle especially for your first hunting rifle.

Cody_2ZZ likes this.
  12. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

A lot of good suggestions here. I have a Rem 700 in .30-06 and it's been just fine for me and will take any big game in North America. The hunter is just as, if not more, important than the rifle. You're free to purchase whatever you want, of course, but .300 Win Mag is probably unnecessary for hunting game animals.
    Long range and/or competition shooting? That's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm pretty much in agreement with all these folks. That sounds like a lot of gun, especially for the Southeast. If you were in Alaska or Montana, it might be a different story. The Remington 700 is a tried and true rifle--I'd probably get one in .30-06 or .308 for all-purpose work. Even a .270 might be a good choice if you'll be mainly hunting deer. See if you can find a friend with a couple of different calibers, and see what you shoot well and what feels right. I shoot my .308 better, but with the long range stuff we have up here in North Dakota, I like the idea of having a little more punch with the .30-06.

Also, if you want a slightly cheaper platform to play with, take a look at the Savage Axis or Ruger American. Both are affordable, accurate, and durable.