1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Butane Torch or other type lighter?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by PBJS II, Dec 25, 2011.

1. LOW96HB

LOW96HB Loaded Pockets

A Butane Torch IMO makes working with paracord much easier...

2. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Yep. Never found a Ronson Jetlight Local. Did find another gas station jet lighter though!

3. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Harbor Freight mini torch

This one works a little too well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html

Only issue is sometimes the O-ring seals will leak and you'll lose butane. I've been lucky so far. This torch is so hot it'll melt right through paracord without it catching on fire so it makes for a clean, compact end.

I've even used it on Spectra and bigger nylon / Dacron ropes for the sailboat. You do need to buy a can of butane to fill it but overall it's been a pretty good tool. Ironically my wife has a black version that's a 'Culinary Torch' used to prepare creme' brulee' and when it ran out of fuel, the HF torch stepped in and saved dessert. .

4. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

Personally, I use a Proxxon handheld butane torch. It does minor soldering and helps me create headpins. If you are not going to carry your torch around, I'd go for something bigger than a lighter. Get either a Blazer torch or a Proxxon. It will not need to be filled as often and give you plenty of heat when working with the paracord.

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

To the OP: why not just light a candle? Put it on a table nearby and you have a constant flame to turn to when you need to melt the paracord ends. Much easier and handier than using a lighter all the time.

Regarding butane torches, this thread was a very interesting read. I've also had a number of them fail. I hear them hiss, and I can see them spark, but no flame. This has puzzled me, but if others have had the same issues, I guess it's just in their nature to fail. But they are very cool when they do work, so I think I'll have a look at that Zippo insert thingy.

6. skip0911

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

Unbelievable, all this time burning myself with a Bic lighter. Never thought of a simple little candle.
    Thanks, talk about a senior moment.

7. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

BTW. I completely forgot about it but I found amongst my trucking stuff a Zippo sized butane torch I had gotten somewhere.

It has a latched down top so I can even pocket it!

8. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Loaded Pockets

Fuel quality is very important. Impurities will cause all kinds of problems. Butane lighters have very small orifices that are easily plugged. I would suggest triple-refined (or better) butane fuel. The less refined (cheaper) fuels will contain various contaminates including oils that will cause a lighter to fail.

I have been restoring a couple '60's vintage butane lighters and all of them had their burner valves clogged. Diss-assembly and soaking in a solvent was required to get them operational again. Newer lighters with torch burners and piezo-electric ignitions are even more sensitive.

HTH,
    Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk