1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Busted in NYC, Advice needed.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by tommyjee24, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

If anything, this does show as an example to make sure you know the laws where you are - if the OP was regularly commuting between NJ and NYC, then he should have taken the time to find out how the laws differ to make sure his carry was legal. In that case the court case should be a pretty simple affair. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

At the same time I do hope you can get the court case cleared with the minimum of fuss and a good outcome, it really does sound as if they are purposely looking for small indiscretions like that purely to show they are doing something and getting arrests/convictions.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

This is one time where knowing the law would not have helped. It's not about knowing the law, it's about knowing the particular interpretation of a law that is currently in use by local law enforcement. If you read the Sullivan Act, it's a law that bans gravity knives. But rather than interpreting it properly as a ban against out-the-front knives that rely on the use of gravity, the NYPD is using a retarded interpretation to go after law-abiding citizens who carry folding knives with lock mechanism and pocket-carry clips.

No new law was ever passed to ban modern-day one hand opening knives. Thus, there is no new law to read up on. With my background, I know that this retardation is currently happening in NYC; and has been happening for several years. But not everyone collects knives, has a good relationship with all the B&M knife shop owners in the area, and knows enough about local law enforcement trends to know the customs in use.

3. warren55

warren55 Empty Pockets

Now everyone needs a new piece of edc gear.... a ruler, to measure the cops fingers!

4. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

5. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

this thread is two months old today...how did it all turn out op?

edit: the op hasn't logged in since creating this thread...I hope things turned out well for him.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

How very not surprising. One of the reasons why organized crime has done so well in NY is because the crooks legally in power have less respectability than those outside the law. Hell, NYC has been well-known for corruption long before everyone currently living in world even existed.

7. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Stop it you are making me homesick ! I MISS THE CITY sooooo Baaad ! Been in Germany for a bit now and it is insane here. I think even toothpicks are regulated here !

As to the NYPD.... Stay calm, Be polite and GET A LAWYER !!!!!

8. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Darn, I feel like I just walked in on an episode of NYPD Blue, & now perp's wanting to lawyer up... Ooooh that just screams guilty :jester:. I'm Just joking.

9. computerpro3

computerpro3 Empty Pockets

That's pretty ridiculous to be honest. I hope things turn out okay for the OP. Would love an update.

10. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

11. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I've lived in an out of NYC most of my life. LEOs there look for the pocket clips pretty regularly. I've had a couple friends get their knives "confiscated" (nice ones) and they go on with their merry days. Then you get the rookies who are bored and like filling out paperwork.

If you are worried about it, call the ACLU. They will hook you up with a lawyer. The "4 finger" rule is :censored: because everyone has different sized hands. Technically it is as follows:

"B. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on his or her person or have in such person's possession, in any public place, street or park any knife which has a blade length of four inches or more."

How large is the knife? Is it assisted opening? Do you have a reason for actually carrying it?

12. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

It gets worse. Thanks to the new DA & his vendetta against pocket knives, Spyderco and KnifeCenter now will not ship knives to New York State.

13. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

actually Spyderco will ship the UK knives to New York. Just not locking blades.