1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

busted for a stinger.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jackknife, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I'm not convinced they're stupid anymore. I think it's by design. When it comes to preparedness, it's like self-defense, authoritarians look at it as an insult, we don't need them. They despise it.

2. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

No one has ever needed them. They never will, either.

However, I will suggest that they are genuinly stupid. The draconian, stupid, ill-thought-out laws that are passed day after day are written by lobbiest, not the politicians. All the grey hairs in Congress do anymore is say 'Aye' and shove another law that they don't understand onto the books with no clue to any reprocusions that may arise, nor any care whether or not it is for the betterment of society or the betterment of a single individual. Their stupidity is of a level that it almost seems malicious, though the only malicious entity in the process are the con men and pimps that have their collective hands shoved up the *** of Congress.

3. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Some of them are stupid. Most of them are not and that's their greatest strength, that people believe they are stupid. People have a tendency to forgive stupidity more than bullying and they know that.

4. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

HI,
    This is a great and very interesting thread. I'd like to add some of my experiences travelling over the years, including flying twice a week for two years. In some cases TSA looks good but far more often not.

1. In early december of 2011 I was flying out of San Jose, Ca. One of my carry-ons was an Irish button accordion. When I got to the scanner I could not send the accordion case through becasue there was a metal plate restricting the size of objects that could go through. I removed the accordion from the case and carefully placed it on the scanner belt. I then handed the case over expecting them to pass it through the metal detector. Instead they passed it around the back of the scanner completely uninspected, it could have been lined with C4 or heroin, or heroin flavored C4 for all they knew. When I got through the metal detector and went to pick up my gear one of the security gaurds insisted that I make the accordion "make noise". My initial thought was to tell him that was all I could make it do. Instead I told him I was a professional musician and got paid to play. He repeated his request so I played a few notes and said "You owe me $15". He lookwed at the National Gaurdsmen standing behind him and the guardsmen said "Yeah dude. you owe him $15 bucks."

2. Going through Hartsfield Jackson in 2007 I was held up for almost 30 minutes while TSA scanned, rescanned, re-rescanned and then removed every single item from a pretty stuffed backpack looking for a knife. They finally determined it was a little swiss tech micro tech http://www.swisstechtools.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=Dj4v2vu2iwgA and sent me on my way.

3. In late 2007-early 2008 I inadvertnently flew twice a week for at least 6 weeks (to include Hartsfield Jackson) with a metal fork (borrowed from hotel room service) in the bottom of one pocket of my pack and a 2 inch blade locking knife in the bottom of the main pocket of my pack (why I now have a pack only for travelling). I would have completely understood had the knife been confiscated becasue it was completely my fault that it was there but it doesn't make me too confident in the TSA.

4. In 2006 I walked up to the security line (I believe Reagan but it might have been O'Hare, I think Reagan though) and realized I hadn't but my benchmade in my checked luggage. I alerted TSA and they were cool about it. They passed me through security and then gave me my knife to and watched me box it up and put it in the mail. What was funny was watching TSA play with the Benchmade as I went through security, including a pat down. I had to tell the guy doing the pat down that the knife was pretty sharp and his colleuage strugging to figure out how to close the knife she was playing with was apt to cut herself pretty badly. Overall, though, they were very cool.

5. My wife inadvertently made it though a TSA screening with a CRKT Bearclaw http://www.crkt.com/Bear-Claw-Sharp-Tip-ZytelSheath-Razor-Sharp-Edge in her purse. Again, if it had been confiscated it would have been cool becasue she was at fault for not keeping her gear squared away. What was funny was that they scanned her backpack and purse two times by moving the belt back and forth.

6. TSA went through my bag last weekend becasue I had a screwdriver (a county.comm versa driver kit) telling me they needed to make sure it was under seven incehes long. The TSA guy never even looked at anything in the bag beyond holding up a midlands pocket weather radio and asking what it was. I told him and his response was "That is tight! Where did you get it". He then had to go and ask if it was OK for me to have it. I suspect he was looking for an exscuse to confiscate it.

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Having worked security for nearly 5 years, I can tell you that the TSA is no different than your average security guard. (And that's not a good thing.) I took my assignments seriously, and never should have because it wasn't appreciated.

By the way, flesh compresses when punctured. A screwdriver less than seven inches long will go in far deeper than its length. (But probably not something you want to share with the TSA. No worries, they'll get around to banning hair-clips in the next couple of years, anyway.)

6. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

This was the "screwdriver" in question http://www.countycomm.com/versadriver.htm and the dude never got past the top pocket in my malaga which had, among other things, a weather radio that he seemed to covet.

7. MBMA

MBMA Empty Pockets

great post!

8. shokthx

shokthx Loaded Pockets

Just because it's by design doesn't mean they are still not stupid.

James

9. eyeofthemaggot

eyeofthemaggot Empty Pockets

Dude, why does your wife carry a CRKT Bearclaw!?

10. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Why not?

11. eyeofthemaggot

eyeofthemaggot Empty Pockets

I don't even know! It's a sweet knife and i'm jealous of your wife.

12. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

I think the lesson here is more of "Never underestimate the power of being really nice." It probably wasn't so much the stinger itself, but how the guy acted once he got caught with it, and how his attire and body language spoke to the TSA people before he got caught.

Instead of "carrying a big stick", I say "Be really truly nice, and look really good doing it." Then if stuff goes down, blind them with the strobe and scrape at their faces...

13. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

what a *******... i've always wondered if i would be able to bring a flashlight with a strike bezel on a airplane...

14. EdB999

EdB999 Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, this day and age has brought a halt to evolution. The guy tried to carry on a weapon,knowing full well that it is banned. Leaving a non metallic weapon open for inspection when you could of kept in your pocket? Thinking they wouldn't know what the blatantly shaped object was? even given a chance to mail it home? He obliviously isn't the full ticket.
    No doubt he was most likely cautioned and released and is now free to breed with another half-wit, reducing the gene pool even further.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yeah, he should have just bought a first-class ticket in which case they would have just given him a metal knife he could have used instead of a blunt little piece of plastic. The guy may be a half-wit, but he's still smarter than the quarter-wits running the airlines.

16. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

Bruce Schneier talkes about the folly of the TSA a lot. he even explains how to 1) make a knive from 2 part epoxy, while on an airplane 2) a list of items allowed by the TSA that are convertable to weapons.

TSA cannot get "all the memos" and a lot of potential weapons are allowable items (like your roll on bag with it's awesome aluminum or titanium handle).

It stands to reason, if you cannot keep weapons out of jails and prisons, then you REALLY can't keep them out of airplanes.

Personally, I'm more worried about NBCs on airplanes than conventional weapons. Or an NBC deployed at the security choke point of an airport (or a conventional explosive weapon, or a semi auto rifle).

Security is an illusion. The question is, how much freedom will America give up for the illusion of security.

17. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

+1. breaking the law at an airport, and directly disobey directions from the TSA, is a really, really bad idea.

18. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Well said!

What a moron, he knew the score and was warned yet wouldn't give up a ten dollar piece of plastic. Just bin it and get a new one on the other end if it's that important to your self image. I hope he felt really manly during his booking procedure. While I have no love for the TSA, I don't go into their zone and try to change the rules.

19. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I know a lot of people simply have to travel by airline for business reasons, etc., but I find the best way to address life's problems is to stay out of hostile areas like bars and nightclubs and from logic-free zones like state and federal buildings like courthouses and definitely airports. There are just so many problems with air travel and the corruption involved with it all, it sickens me. The costs associated with this form of travel are far beyond me at this point, anyway...but that's part of the corruption because everyone that flies are paying these security fees that are, at least partially, funding this nonsense. And people that would irradiate their kids or let them be groped by these idiots just to fly to an amusement park or to more easily see their grandparents...I mean...this is where we are now, right? Decades of teaching children not to let people touch them inappropriately and now we have to have caveats to that...amazing.

20. KG2V

KG2V Loaded Pockets

I had an interesting TSA experience 3 summers ago (and I don't mean with air quotes either) - I have sleep Apenia, and therefor travel with a CPAP machine with humidifier. I was up in NW New Mexico, and I ran out of distilled water, so used tap/well water for my humidifier
    Anyway, I get on line at ABQ to fly home, and my machine trips 'something', and all f a sudden, I'm pulled aside, and there are like 2-3 guys looking at my CPAP machine. All of a suddened, I see one of the Sr guys come some over and he says "One question - what part of the state were you in?" - I told him, he laughed, and said "thought so" - seem the ground water there is radioactive, and the humidifier getting some solid crusts tripped the radiation detectors. He said I ran into a new inspector (1st day on the job) and said "we see this about 3-4 times a week, have a safe trip"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.