1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

busted for a stinger.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jackknife, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bblatt11

bblatt11 Empty Pockets

You may be infuriated by the TSA's choice of what to allow and what to prohibit, but arguing about it at the security checkpoint is never the way to go. In the end, most TSA agents are going to look at their list and then veer conservative as to what is allowable based on that list. I carry a lot of junk on my keychain, including a couple of can openers. But when I travel, they, along with my Surefire 6PD and anything else that might otherwise get rejected despite actually being okay, go to the bottom of my carry on, where the TSA agents can scan them, and either wave it on or ask to see them off to the side in a less public area. Use psychology to your advantage: so long as you're not publicly arguing the point, most TSA agents, in my experience, can be quite pleasant. (Of course it never hurts that I usually wear a t-shirt displaying my affiliation with a law school - lawsuits are scary).
    Seriously though, I've been pulled aside for more in depth searches several times, and each time the agents didn't care about the pointies on the key chain or the flashlights, they just wanted to know about the oddly-shaped religious items. Basically, don't be afraid of the TSA, but also don't make them appear weak or indecisive in public

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Also of note is the young man's appearance in the incident that the OP observed. If he were dressed more inconspicuously, they may not have even noticed.

His biggest mistake was in not being cooperative, though. He was given a "Get Out of Jail Free" pass and he opted not to take it. Why risk missing your flight (let alone getting arrested) over a Comtech Stinger?!

3. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Great "on-the-scene" reporting, jacknife, and some excellent replies here. As another "EDC senior," I also recall simpler times.

Like the time I was flying back from Hawaii while in the Navy, transferring to an East Coast posting. I had checked my large bags but was carrying on an attache case (very James Bond influenced in those days) with a .32 auto that had been a gift from a friend on my deployment to Viet Nam. I noticed that at check-in they were opening hand-carried bags (actually, looking for vegetables!! being taken out). I ducked into the men's room and stuffed my gun into a shoulder holster. The MATS flight to Travis AFB was a bit less comfortable, but no one was concerned about what I had attached to my body!

Times change, however, and we have to change with them when it's necessary. I regard TSA and travel security today as a necessary evil. If I don't want to conform, I don't have to travel by air. If I feel I need protection, there are ways to ship it ahead. If the problem occurs in flight, well, look at what the passengers did to those box-cutter-carrying idiots.

And Stu, I also stopped carrying my E2D on air trips in favor of my E1B Backup (just in case). It's a smaller and more versatile light anyway!

Cheers!

Dick

4. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

As was said in the other thread. If you dont like the rules around flying then feel free to buy your own plane. Complaining about the rules for flying is like complaining about the laws in other countries.

5. bouncer

bouncer Loaded Pockets

I carry mine(stinger & stylus) cause it's light weight. I would never try to carry it in a secure area. that's asking for trouble.

6. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

I have made this point here many times. Carrying something like a stinger or an I Popper (what a brain-dead name...engraved no less on the object!) is a crime in almost any jurisdiction. All self-defense items must either be specifically permitted (i.e. pepper spray in many but not all locales) or an otherwise apparently harmless item. I long ago gave up my stinger for either a worn tap wrench or a universal chuck key with one arm cut off ("It broke and I had to grind it down...it was sharp."). I do not always have these, but the chuck key is never recognized as a potential weapon and an aluminum pen is always legal. I used to carry a Minimag, but no longer as I could never keep it in batteries or keep it from being lost out of the holster. (Hmm...maybe I should work on that...any ideas?)

7. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Fwiw, in the US its probably fine, but in places like the UK i wouldnt be so sure a defense pen will not be seen as a weapon despite being a pen. Now a normal metal bodied pen is just a pen, but one designed to be able to be jammed into someones skull is clearly not as clear cut as a weapon of convenience. Same goes for the lights like the Surefire Defender with its heavily crenelated head. Especially if it has the word defender on it, lol.

8. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

because if they banned anything that COULD be used as a weapon, we'd have to wear togas and floppy sandles to get on a plane and spend the flight in straight jackets. Then the FAA really would go chapter 11, so they let mundane items with legitimate non-weapon uses through. Simple as that.

9. JPTP

JPTP Empty Pockets

I have had some good experiences with TSA. I went to visit a buddy in Austin after my last tour. I didn't even think about taking my pack with me. Well it set off a bunch on alarms on the scanner. I was traveling with a handgun(declared and inspected). At first I thought that was the cause of the issue.
    One of the TSA guys was rubbing my pack down with swabs. They started pulling all my kit out and swabbing everything. The supervisor asked when I got back in country. I told him about a month previous. Without even asking anymore questions or even what branch or MOS he told his subordinates to knock it off. They then repacked my kit and put it on the plane. The Superior came over to me and explained to me that my EOD kit set off the sensors. I had completely forgot that it was in what I thought was an empty pocket. What surprised me the most was he shook my hand and thanked me for my service. Don't think for a second all TSA people are clueless or stupid. Some are actually quite cool.

K1CKtheCHICKEN and Blair like this.
  10. bitpusher

bitpusher Loaded Pockets

Great post, great thread.

11. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, bitpusher.

12. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

Excellent thread. I mean Excellent! Times are different, and whether you're a TSA fan or not, they control your destiny once you enter the detector zone. It would've taken that kid 3 minutes to mail the thing to himself, and he'd soon have been happily in Florida.

13. JusticeKN

JusticeKN Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Here, here! My father, who was LE, once told me "Attitude will send you to jail faster than the commission of any crime." (His other greatest quote was, "If a police officer tells you that you are under arrest, he's right. You are. It may be an illegal arrest, but it's an arrest and you ARE going to jail."

Understanding the dynamics of the personalities involved is a big part of interacting with LE. I have been involved in a number of "controlled drinks" over the years -- training police officers to test drunk drivers. As the guy with the privilege of drinking for the greater good, I can unequivocally tell you that when I was respectful and acted a little scared I tended to "pass" field sobriety tests and "fail" the same tests a few minutes later, with a different group of officers if I got a little cocky.

The bottom line: LE always has discretion (as they should) and generally the courage to use it (as they should).

14. Mike 56

Mike 56 Loaded Pockets

Good post you confirmed what i thought all along. You can carry weapons any were you just have to be smart about it. Want to carry a stinger no problem buy a three dollar bag of army men pick one out that fits your hand good. You can also use a hot wheel car. I always have a large handkerchief/ bandanna in my back pocket and i always have large set keys with me. Makes a nice blackjack. You can make a weapon out of almost any thing trying to ban them is pointless. It is an illusion that world governments are doing to make people think they are doing something. I think after 911 they should of instead of banning knifes they should made it mandatory that you carry a knife four inches or under. After 911 their no way anyone is going to take over a plane with a knife.

Mike

15. jggonzalez

jggonzalez Loaded Pockets

I'm with you. I've got a Hinderer Pen, a Ti-Popper, etc., but I would never try to carry them concealed on an airplane. They are pretty toys, but the websites describing how they can be used as weapons defeat the purpose. I think someone who made it through law school just might be bright enough to get on the internet and do a web search. Do you really think a cop ANYWHERE would fail to recognize a kubotan when he saw it? The only people who describe them as "innocuous" are the ones selling them.

16. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

"... The only people who describe them as "innocuous" are the ones selling them."

Well them and the people who happen get cold-cocked by it.

17. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

THANK YOU!!!`finally someone who thinks like me and my friend and co-workers think I am weird :lolhammer: but in all seriousness well said :ty:

18. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

Moral of the story: Don't fly.

19. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

No. Because we decide what laws are acceptable in this country, including the laws regarding travel by aircraft. I've met some nice people with TSA, but I do not respect their office or agency. They could not have stopped 9/11, nor will they stop the next one. They are the uniformed embodiment of the divorce of the citizen and personal responsibility.

20. LMarshall73

LMarshall73 Empty Pockets

+1

How can you take them seriously when they are patting down great-grandma and giving grampa a hard time because the shrapnel he's carried since WWII is setting of the metal detector. It's a show, no a sham, paid for by our tax dollars. I fly 3-4 times a month, not because I choose to, but because my job requires it. And every time I am standing in line in my socks, I hope and pray that Richard Reid is being passed around for a pack of Marlboros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.