1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bushcraft questions...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by WestByGod, May 18, 2016.

1. WestByGod

WestByGod Loaded Pockets

So, I'm getting the itch to start "bushcrafting". Perhaps it's my 80+ hour work weeks that have the woods and lack of civilization calling my name. That said, I am looking for recommendations on an "essential" loadout. I would like to be a minimalist and focus on tools necessary to create comforts rather than packing in my living room. Let's say a budget of around $300 bucks. Whatcha say?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

2. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

Condor Bushlore and Husqvarna Hatchet for starters.

I feel ya on those 80 hour work weeks. I tried that for awhile, ain't goin' back.

sungame and WestByGod like this.
  3. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

Even cheaper options would be Mora Companion HD and Fiskars X7. That covers your 2 basic tools for about $40.

sungame and WestByGod like this.
  4. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

A good hatchet (Husqvarna), folding saw (Silky Gomboy 210), 2-3 Mora knives... That'll be the choice of tools for me.

WestByGod likes this.
  5. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

bushcraftusa.com

WestByGod likes this.
  6. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Cut my teeth in the mountains of WV.

WestByGod likes this.
  7. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Put money on your feet and on your back!

Pay for a good pair of hiking boots for your feet and a good backpack that fits your body.

As others have pointed out, you can get decent axes and knives (Moras and Fiskars) at a bargain, but a cheap, poorly made backpack that doesn't fit properly will be a literal pain in the back. And nothing makes the great outdoors as miserable as cold, wet, blistery feet.

If you are interested, see my advice on hiking bags here. Others have also chimed in with sound advice in this thread, so it is well worth a read.

Last edited by sungame, May 19, 2016
    malraux72, WestByGod and graveyard like this.
  8. WestByGod

WestByGod Loaded Pockets

Thanks, everyone!

9. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

80 hour work week??????????????

I think the first thing you need to do is get some time pal!

10. WestByGod

WestByGod Loaded Pockets

Yeah. Hard to do when you own your own business. Even harder when that business is a new restaurant. Working on it though...hah! Working...

Nick4305 and graveyard like this.
  11. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Ahh yes ok I understand, everyone I know who works in that business is an absolute masochist doing absurd hours. Good luck with it mate, hope it gets easier.

WestByGod likes this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Do you intend to do actual bushcraft or are you planning on a survival trip? Big difference. And what weather are you planning on camping out? Start off with decent tools. But cheap. There are a lot of different types of knives, hatchets, tarps, etc. If yrou buy a $100 knife and it doesn't work for you, you're down 100. But here is my list for summer camping. A good knife, hatchet, tarp, bivvy bag and sleeping bag, billy can filled with stuff you need to cook with and an esbit burner and a canteen with cup. For a more extensive list and choice of brands fire away. But as stated above, your first layer is your clothing. Make sure they are the best you can afford

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
    Edit: lots of lighters and flamable material. Ferro rods are great as a back-up but a simple bic is SO much easier

graveyard and WestByGod like this.
  13. CAS1965

CAS1965 Loaded Pockets

Find time to take the $300 to yard/garage sales, the stuff your looking for can be found for a bargain there. For boots go to an outdoors store and get the most comfortable you can find, properly break them in.

WestByGod likes this.
  14. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Hey great minds and all that! I always have to laugh when i see people struggle with fire-steels... Just bring a lighter already! My camping fire kit has a bic, a peanut zippo-fuel lighter, some wax wood and only after that a magnesium block and a fresnel lens.

But good clothing is a must for any trip! I dont know how military boots are in your country but they are generally decent value for money, might be worth looking into, just make sure you talk to someone who can help you get the actual proper size. If they are on the warm/heavy side you could check out any outdoorsy type store for them fancy modern shoe kinda things just dont make the mistake of ordering your size online as you really need to test-fit these kind of shoes (and get the right ones for whatever you plan to do and go). After clothing something to spend the night in would be on my list, be it a tent or hammock... that is if you actually want to spend the night outside (renting cabins or something is another option). Making fire to cook food or just to get nice and warm is important but you can literally get the essentials for pocket change (knife, fork, spoon, lighter, stainless cup, stainless pan and some ingenuity get you 99% of the way)... the most important thing here is knowledge, check out some books or even youtube vids.

300bucks can get you started but it will not give you the top stuff (shoes alone can go for that kind of money)

A.B. likes this.
  15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

About the boots. I work in construction and I just use my work boots. They are from Gri Sport. Really, and I mean REALLY hard use boots. If the woods were made of steel they would still last 3 years.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

My big question is what do you actually intend doing as 'bushcraft'? What will be useful to carry will vary hugely depending on how you go about it - are you planning on spending a day out in the woods practising basic skills? hiking out into the wilderness for a day or two? Bivouac/hike tent/car camping? Relaxing weekend fishing away from people? Only heading out in nice weather or stubbornly heading out regardless for the experience?

A lot will vary - things like a good tent and sleeping bag will easily eat far more than a $300 budget, as can items like a good pair of boots, decent set of waterproofs (dependent on where you live - I would never plan on going any distance outdoors with mine where I live) and all the basics.
    After that you get into the more fun things - firelighting or stoves, knives/axes, navigation equipment, etc...

A.B. likes this.
  17. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

This is the most eloquent summary of what you need getting out there that I have ever seen !

WestByGod likes this.