1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bus Driver in Seattle

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kd7dvd, Aug 22, 2011.

1. badkarma1208

badkarma1208 Empty Pockets

I go in heavy and open carry when I head into Seattle because my little utopia is almost crime free vs. Seattle.

kd7dvd likes this.
  2. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Visitors to my fair city should keep in mind:
    If this smells like bovine fecal matter, it's because it is completely subjective, varies from place to place based on poorly defined "community standards," and open to interpretation by every individual cop in the state. Someday I hope some bright young attorney will jump up and down on it with the 14th Amendment until it cries uncle. Open carry is legal in Seattle, but no way worth the hassle, since every little old lady will be sending cops your way. (Well, maybe if you avoid downtown, Capitol Hill, South Seattle, Lake City, Ballard, West Seattle, ... uh, never mind...)

Actual dialog (well, mostly actual...)
    LOL: I saw a guy with a gun walking around today. Should I have called the police?
    Me: He was just walking around?
    LOL: Yeah.
    Me: Well, I'm pretty sure that's legal.
    LOL: Really?
    Me: 'Fraid so.
    LOL: Oh.

So, clearly this lady was "alarmed," even though her alarm wasn't really "warranted" (IMHO).

SAKplumber, Locomoco and vegassprky like this.
  3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I believe there are multiple court precedents that merely open carrying a holstered weapon does not warrant alarm, but I, personally, don't want to be arguing that with a cop on the side of the road.

kd7dvd likes this.
  4. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

There was a little brouhaha when some guy walked into a Seattle?/Factoria?/Issaquah? Starbucks like a cowboy with a six-shooter around his waist awhile back and the kid freaked and subsequently the mom freaked and complained to the store. Thus it was brought to the fore in a hurried fashion that yes, WA state is open carry.

Even in liberal Seattle, many at Seattle PD East Pct. knows about "Conan" who used to run around Capitol Hill in the 90's/2000's. This was a big Nordic fellow, heavy muscled, often in just a tank top that would bicycle around the area with a huge BROADSWORD strapped to his back. (Hence the aforementioned moniker). Favorite haunts you used to see him was at Hana's Japanese restaurant on Broadway.

He was never a worry for anyone, police never had any problems... just one of many eccentric characters of Capital Hill back in the day before political correctness made many of these guys extinct from the area.

tmedina likes this.
  5. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Guns + Starbucks = Giggles :rofl: We should do a meetup at one!

I remember Conan. Police had a long, long talk with him and decided he was OK, especially as he was happy to break up fights. One brawl, one broadsword.

I'd hate to be the second guy with a broadsword, though. :)

OTOH, last week I saw a guy strolling around with a katana without a hassle. Well, not one I saw, anyway.

And, of course, I've committed the occasional gross misdemeanor in the fierce libertarian spirit of our part of the country :D (Just not right at this instant...OK?) Hopefully, SPD getting its leash pulled by THE_MAN will calm things down a bit.

But, please, please, please, don't OC at the McDonald's at 3/Pine.... :cold:

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't eat any burgers at the Mc D's at 3rd & Pine. If there's one establishment with guaranteed horsemeat in their burgers it would probably be THAT one.

I'll be back in the PAC NW early part of April. We should try to do a meet up with all the WA state EDC'ers. Perhaps someplace with pizza? Beer?

7. badkarma1208

badkarma1208 Empty Pockets

Well you can state all the statutes you want. My friend just got $8K from SPD for a Greenlake incident and Seattle has failed 3 times to implement gun bans at parks. I am active on Open Carry and know the WAC's enough that I should be able to handle myself if confronted.

Your RCW does not apply to Open carry.

8. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bitter beer, bright lights, sharp objects. I'm in. :D

9. Saratoga

Saratoga Empty Pockets

So, I'm an ex bus driver. Well, I used to drive buses but I still hold the licences. Worked public service routes in the local city, had to learn about 35-40 routes with about 2-3 variations on a lot of them. The stuff I had to carry for that job wasn't much. Notes, dairy, torch, phone, bottle of water etc. The notes were in A5 and could fit in the coat pockets. I could put most of it in my pockets but the coat would end up pretty heavy and then on the bus there was invariably no where to hang the sod.

Knives were a no-no. Even a multitool wasn't allowed. If the mobile phone was seen in our hands whilst we drove that was a sackable offence but parked up reading a book on them, well, that was down to the inspectors, who could be quite abusive of their position. But that's to be expected too.

I did move over to a bag for a while and sometimes took cameras in on night shifts to get some good photos or for other reasons, such as after work too.

There are some nice pouches around for gear but it depends on what you can get away with wearing on your person, or in your pockets. Being in smart trousers/shirt/tie was kinda restrictive, but I found a way. I guess that was when I started carrying my Surefire 6p with it's spare cell pack with me too...

kd7dvd likes this.
  10. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

????

11. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's a sketchy intersection which is now the subject of an intense cleanup effort. OTOH, it might be a good place to practice your weapon retention skills....:uhhuh:

Idaho Gunslinger and SAKplumber like this.
  12. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Sounds like it's an intersection that you don't stop at a red light when driving thru.

13. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

HEY, what's going on in here??? :frantic:

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nah, they know that if they shoot me I won't give them a free ride anymore.... :D

Idaho Gunslinger and SAKplumber like this.
  15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Free ride right? You probadly charge double for some.:p

kd7dvd likes this.
  16. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

All the traffic will bear!

vegassprky likes this.