1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bus Driver in Seattle

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kd7dvd, Aug 22, 2011.

1. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi, all!

Name here is Chris, and I'm a municipal bus driver in Seattle. I have my set of EDC-ware, but only when I discovered this forum did I discover that people ... uh ... obsessed about their EDC stuff.

It's been very educational.

The forum seems to concentrate on what people carry and how they carry it, but there's one thing I want to know:

WHY do you carry the gear you carry? Is it for your job? For your recreational life? For social paranoia?

For my job I carry a Leatherman Wave, a flashlight, a sales clipboard, some forms, an orange vest, and a small first aid kit. I'd carry a gun but it seems that, in Seattle, the only person not allowed to pack is the bus driver. (If you carry a gun, why? [hint: "Because the Constitution says I can" is a wonderful reason, but let's get past that, OK? Why do you really pack?])

For myself (not at work) I carry a netbook computer, a small camera (in addition to the cell phone camera) and a VHF/UHF amateur radio. Also a reflex hammer to scare off muggers. ;D

Other stuff, too, (Rite-in-the-Rain pads, SKILCRAFT--US GOVERNMENT pens, etc)

So, again, what's your place in the world that causes you to carry what you carry?

Amos Harrison likes this.
  2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I have always carried I think. As far back as I can remember. The night I was born, my dad was at home because a tornado blew out our front windows. That really was a precursor in many ways. I've been in some bad situations, and my being prepared kept them from going from bad to horrific.

3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Hey.
    I live in Seattle. I carry, even though Seattle is a pretty safe place, because nowhere is 100% safe, and there are still bad people out there who are looking to/hurting people right now. And they're not all afraid of reflex hammers.

4. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

:wave: Welcome to the Forum!!...Enjoy!!

5. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

Greetings kd7dvd. my personal reasons for carrying are varied. I have always gathered a sense of pride of ownership throughout my life and the concept of edc plays into that perfectly as I can continuously upgrade and refine what I carry over time. I thrive on having my own unique edc, and we are all different and can learn from each other here on this great forum. I edc for the convenience of having these items on me so they are there when I need them. A common phrase around here is " I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." I subscribe to that and carry accordingly. Now then, welcome to the addiction! Enjoy your stay!

Amos Harrison likes this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi Kd7dvd! Welcome to the Forum:p I just found this while looking for a thread of yours to put this on...
    [​IMG]

7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Who the h e l l is this kd7dvd character anyway, some kind of bus driver. :D

SurvivePenna, jeepsrjason and kd7dvd like this.
  8. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello kd7dvd and welcome !!!! :rofl: Everybody say hi to kd7dvd...

kd7dvd likes this.
  9. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I dunno guys. He kinda has shifty eyes. :unsure: You sure we want this kinda people around? :D

kd7dvd likes this.
  10. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think he's the voice of doctor evil. He's only pretending to be a bus driver to throw us off. It has to be him, have you seen his creepy cat avatar. Its as bad as that aloxplumber guy

kd7dvd and SAKplumber like this.
  11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

pa990.jpg

And don't forget Monday (this is the real deal) ...

2013-03-17_102423.jpg

12. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

Welcome from an Eastsider!

kd7dvd likes this.
  13. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

Don't forget to watch your wallet kid ;)

kd7dvd likes this.
  14. Insignificanto

Insignificanto Loaded Pockets

Welcome. You seem kind of familiar, but it seems like every time I get on a bus in Seattle, there's some guy with a hammer waving a cat in my face. Then again, I live on the Hill. Don't be shy, you may be new now, but some day you might become a legend here. :)

Oaklington and kd7dvd like this.
  15. erknjerk

erknjerk Loaded Pockets

Welcome! I hope its been a good year and a half.

Sent From Me On A Toilet.

kd7dvd likes this.
  16. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hope so, too! I can hardly remember it. By the way, has anyone seen my money...?

17. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

You can't find it?! You're so careless. You should start giving it to me for safe keeping. :D

18. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe I should. Whoever I gave it to previously obviously did not have my best interests at heart! :rolleyes:

Quixotica likes this.
  19. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Remember a long while back, some crazy guy overpowered a Seattle bus driver and plunged a bus over the Aurora bridge? I thought the city allowed the bus drivers to carry guns because of that incident. I always thought since then that bus drivers were packin' heat. You guys should be allowed to, too many incidents of abuse by passengers and mental homeless people.

But getting back to the OT, I see EDC'ing as a moral choice over how I view myself in relationship to the world. I take responsibility for myself and my personal needs. I would rather rely on my own resources than have to go to gov't for basic needs/emergencies where I could handle it on my own. While I acknowledge many people may not have that choice/luxury, my not having to rely on the System means I'm not putting my own stress on the System either, freeing it up for those who truly have no other options.

I think more Americans used to have that same independent streak and it was one of the essential ingredients for our historic success in the world.

20. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Alas, I'm the only guy (aside from felons and crazies) who is not allowed to pack heat on the bus. I survive by my rapier wit and hope for the best, while management and the union--oh, never mind, I promised never to be cynical on the Forum :)

Anyway, If I had a gun at work, I'd probably use it...sigh.