1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bulova 96B229 Impressions (Insanely accurate)

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Beneficial, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

This is not my video but it is just a reference to the smooth sweeping second hand. Notice the plastic wrap is still on the face so it does not give a clear impression of the matte dial.

I am a long time member here. In the past i have shown other watches. There's always something that people search for when it comes to a watch and usually in today's society, that is fashion. To me though, the most important aspect of a watch is accuracy. I can buy any old quartz fashion chinese watch for 20 at any store and be styling like any 14 year old boy but that's just not my thing.

So in my search for accuracy over the years I have done much research. I used to own an Orient NOS 80's SK watch that was accurate to less than 1 second a day. Also a high accuracy quartz watch from Omega but neither even come close to the accuracy of this amazing piece of engineering - The 96B229.

This watch seems to have been discontinued as it is not even on their website anymore. I can see that it probably wouldn't be for everyone with the vintage military aesthetic. The price tag on the watch says $399 but I picked it up recently for $108 on amazon.

Anyway, So this watch is the most accurate watch i have ever owned. It is an ultra high frequency quartz watch that sweeps like a finely tuned high calibre automatic or seiko spring drive. I have had it for exactly 6 weeks now and it has not deviated at all from atomic time. If so, it is less than a second.If it continues at this rate than obviously it would be between 3-10 seconds a year deviation at most. Combine this with a screw down crown and very well finished case and dial. The only downside is that there is a mineral crystal. It's a good size. Not too big and not too small.

The only other watches to come close to this accuracy would cost thousands more.

2. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

That is really neat. Good price on it too. I wonder if you could have sapphire put in instead of mineral glass.

3. FSTP

FSTP Loaded Pockets

I really like those Bulova UHF watches...

4. Beneficial

I have also wondered this but they also make a moon watch which has an extra thick sapphire crystal on it and is very nice but its over $400 and it doesnt have a smooth sweeping seconds hand on the regular time; only during the chronograph function does this occur. During normal time, the small seconds hand noticably ticks. This is why i chose this watch here. So if you really want sapphire you can check out the moon watch.

It is a very nice looking watch that exudes quality.

Oh and the new curv collection just came out which has sapphire and titanium and is curved to fit wrist. i'd wait til the price came down though.

Last edited by Beneficial, Sep 11, 2016
  5. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

The Bulova Moon watch has been on sale recently for $275. If you can handle the size it is a real bargain, it's too big for me but I keep looking at it.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What method are you using to compare it to atomic time?

7. Beneficial

I set it to time.gov when i got it and since then it hasn't deviated at all. 2 months now. I mean there might be a slight fraction of a second but it is not perceivable to me.

8. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

9. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

My understanding and perhaps it's a bit dated is that the most accurate watch in the world was (is) the Citizen Chronomaster at less than 7 seconds per year. The high quality thermocompensated quartz movements will hit about 10 seconds per year. I have Breitling Aerospace and it's a good month before I can even notice an inaccuracy.

10. Beneficial

Mike: Yes you are correct and it is good to see someone who has done their homework. :) If you want ultimate accuracy than the chronomaster far surpasses anything else with 5/s year (with easy hour change also). Though in actual practice sometimes it can be 1-2 seconds or less. Though i am very anxious to see how this UHF movement holds up over 12 months as I am in new england and there are huge temperature differences etc. Though as of right now this watch is still exactly on with atomic time. I was thinking of not changing it on daylight savings time just to see what happens. Either way, It is a great value. People on WUS forums were saying that precisionist models are inconsistent and degrade over time but these new UHF 262 branded models seem to be better. This is the best value in that regard right now. I'm really debating about buying another or a Tissot Skeleton.

What really bothers me is there isn't a watch with EVERYTHING. Either it has screw down crown and mineral crystal or sapphire crystal and push crown. Chrono but not with smooth sweeping etc. Since Bulova is now owned by Citizen then maybe sometime in the future they will combine some of these technologies into something truly affordable, stylish and forgettable as in set it and never set it again or change battery etc. For around 100 though i' shouldnt be complaining.

Great deal right now BTW on this chronomaster with Au-US conversion. I think it might be a little too small for me though at 35mm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152237831043?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited by Beneficial, Sep 25, 2016
  11. antibacterial

antibacterial Loaded Pockets

Ive got the same watch and really enjoy it.Wearing it right now.Everyone should pick one up while they're available.

Beneficial likes this.
  12. Beneficial

still no deviation. literally changes exactly when time.gov second does. Maybe i should update in 6 months.

Found out this one has the same movement and it is CHEAP.

13. Beneficial

scratched it up

[​IMG]

14. antibacterial

antibacterial Loaded Pockets

On the moon watch I'd prefer they used a nylon crystal. Sapphire is overrated......you wouldn't get a nasty scratch with sapphire but the nylon certainly won't shatter easily. Pretty sure the Omega speedmaster wasn't sapphire either.

I can concur with above observations .....My Bulova military keeps excellent time also.

15. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

That's a great watch for the price. I actually like simple military styling. Thanks for the info, Beneficial - sorry about the scratch in your crystal. Maybe a buffing will make it less noticeable?

16. Beneficial

96b230 which is this watch on a leather strap is on sale on amazon right now for 92.89. Almost too good to pass up.

I haven't been wearing it since i got my automatic Certina so i'm sure it's been drifting more because of this but it is about 1 second off or so in 4 months + 1 week since i've bought it. It's now basically my beater watch since i scratched it up. A great one at that.

17. Beneficial

I wanted to update this after a year (just a couple days shy actually.) I stopped wearing this everyday because of the giant scratch but wow is it accurate. After a year now it is only 3 or 4 seconds fast. It didnt move at all until i stopped wearing it every day. It drifted a few seconds faster in the winter and then went back down to 3-4. So at most it would be 10 seconds off (giving huge leeway here.) This is more accurate than the "most" accurate watches in the world. Maybe i just got lucky or maybe it is just this model. I hear mixed things about precisionist. I can only go on my experience though and this is worth the $100-150 it costs for sure. If i can replace the crystal then it would be perfect.

It has been replaced though by this... ETA 2824-2. Treats me well and is accurate enough where i don't have to adjust it.

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.