1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Building an EDC as a 16 year old?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Ingo, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

So I'm 16 years old and from Germany, but currently visiting Spain for 5 Months. I wanna start building my own EDC because it's incredibly useful to have a proper one, at least IMO.
    So I'm searching for some advice to build an affordable and useful load out.

What I thought of is following:
    -Lighter (Zippo or Clipper?)
    -Knife ofc ,this is actually the most important part for me, maybe Victorinox? I'd prefer one that has a useful size but is considered appropriate to carry for a 16 year old, if that's even possible :/ (Price from 20-50 Euros)
    -A flashlight, just for your everyday tasks even tho id prefer one which is quite rugged, maybe even waterproof? (Maybe something around 20-40 Euros?)
    -I also thought of a tactical Pen, even tho I'm quite unsure about this one
    -I've also heard about spinning Coins, what are they even used for? :p

Greetings from Spain!

Edit: Thanks so much guys, I'm overwhelmed by all the help! This is really useful for me, for now I ordered a Victorinox Cadet (Alox), that one looked really good... Probably gonna get a Clipper too, they seem to be quite inexpensive and easy to get.
    Gonna check if I even have a need for a Flashlight :) Gonna update with pics soon!

Last edited by Ingo, Sep 4, 2017
    #1 Ingo, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Spinning coins are just toys, lol. No need for an EDC one. Hyperactive people spin them for self-stimulation.

You don't need a "tactical" pen, bit if you want a pen you could stick in a man's neck just find an all metal, preferably steel, pen. You can probably pick one up at an office supply store!

A Swiss Army Knife is an excellent choice! Get the best you can, take care of it, and it'll last for decades. The same applies to a good flashlight like Streamlight, Fenix, etc.

Good luck, and great English!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RoadWizard, Ingo and twin63 like this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

First...welcome to EDCF!

Second...I agree with everything ArkansasFan30 said. Your list should get you off to a good start with some very useful pieces of gear. A couple of suggestions: I don't smoke but do think that carrying a lighter is a good idea regardless. If you want to save some bulk and money, the Bic mini lighters work well, are inexpensive, and take up very little space. As for a pen, the Zebra F701 is a very popular pen to EDC. I have a few that I've modded with a Fisher Space Pen refill, but even in stock form it's an excellent choice for daily carry.

Looking forward to updates on your progress.

Water-Rat likes this.
  4. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

I'd add a handkerchief in there also

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

5. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

The things one can carry and the philosophy of edc are as many as the people talking about it. Just ask yourself what you need everyday. If you are 16 I guess you are in school? And hanging out with friends at your spare time?

So there are no need to carry everything and the kitchen sink, but you will find out what works for you and what doesn't :)

I started to carry way to much thing I never used when starting to hang around this forum.. Except for wallet, phone, watch and keys Im happy with notebook, pen, SAK and a good light. But that is what I found is working for me.

Don't really now if this helps or not.. But just ask yourself what you need in a day and start from there. It will change over time and evolve :)

It's not failure if you learn something from it

Ingo likes this.
  6. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Sounds good, would love to have a knife with some kind of "tradition" for me. By that I mean something you don't just buy and throw away after a few months.
    My English is pretty good because I lived in South Africa for 2 years, that really helped my language skills :)

twin63 likes this.
  7. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Go small and light, mini BIC, leatherman squirt, AAA Fenix, pen from a Swiss army knife (can buy separate as replacement) a paracord bracelet with a whistle and some basic first aid stuff, duct tape etc. Find some pocketable container to keep your stuff in, if it's all rattling around in your pockets it could eventually annoy you so you stop carrying it.

GoBliNuke and Water-Rat like this.
  8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Unless you're somewhere a survival situation would happen or happen to smoke (I hope not lol), you don't need to carry a lighter. I have a bic, but only use it for paracord projects and don't carry it.

The Cadet as you mentioned is a great little knife. Slim and quite versatile. It's bigger alox brothers are nice designs also (pioneer, pioneer x, farmer, etc) The other victorinox I have is the Compact, which is a great versatile tool and has a nice pair of scissors along with the other usual goodies. Many traditional knife patterns are generally accepted in public where more "tactical" knives are not. Things like stockman, trapper, and sodbuster knives are good ideas. Many patterns have multi-blades, which gives you more options. You can for example keep one blade clean for food use and use a different blade for utility tasks.

The other knife manufacturer I really like is Spyderco. They have some quirky designs, but all their knives feel great in the hand. They do generally cost more money than others, but they're worth it. There are many Spydercos that are non-threatening colors and there are some that are slipjoints that can be opened with one hand, so they are still not to threatening, but can be quickly opened with one hand (UKPK).

How do you feel about multi-tools? I have a tiny one I carry everywhere, the Leatherman Style PS. This one is awesome because it doesn't have a knife blade and thus can be taken into most secure type places, such as schools.

One Piece Multi-tools, or mini-prybars are another neat little edc item. They're great for dirty tasks that you don't want to mess up your knife or normal multi-tool with. There's a number that are geared towards edc'ers (gerber shard, LM Brewser, NiteIze Doo-hickey, CRKT KERT, etc) or you could get whatever small prybar is at a hardware store and modify as needed (shortening, cutting off curved end, adding lanyard hole).

Second the suggestion of a handkerchief. So many uses... cleaning, getting a better grip on lids, emergency bandage, holding small items, etc.

A flashlight is a must in my mind. For everyday carry, you don't need anything special, though you might want a bigger fancier one if you walk at night much. I would recommend the Fenix E05. Cheap, rugged, and waterproof to IPX8 (up to 2 meters underwater I believe), and uses 1 AAA battery, which are pretty easy to find in stores.

A pen is a good idea, regardless of "tacticalness" The above mentioned Zebra F-701 is a great pen. Cheap, writes decently enough, and is a solid, very thick metal pen. There are many larger metal pens that work just as well as a "tactical" pen for this purpose. By the way, the point isn't to stab somebody in the throat, it's to use strikes to pressure points or use pain persuasion to get an attacker to back off or drop a weapon. Be advised that there are often legality questions with the more "tactical" pens.

A personal first aid kit is a good idea as well, even if it's only a few band-aids stuck inside a wallet. If there's anything you need often, stick it in a little pouch or tin and carry it everyday.

I hope all that helps and welcome to the wonderful world of edc!

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I agree on the lighter. I've never incidentally needed a lighter, and the times I knew I'd need one I just carried one for the occasion. Having said that, I keep one in my winter coat pockets.

The Leatherman Brewzer and Style PS is a good combination for "knife free" zones, but the functionality is questionable. I air travel with those tools "because I can."

Regarding the wallet BandAids, I've been doing that for years, and when you need one you really need it so that access is great! I also keep a Fresnel lens in my wallet as well as RFID blocking sleeves for the appropriate credit cards. (I also have lock picks because I can use them moderately well, and it's kind of fun knowing on have them although I wouldn't recommend to Europeans or sub-adults.)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  10. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your great advice, you are right with the Lighter... I ordered some Paracaord lately because it's so useful. Definitely gonna build my own Begleri with that!
    Not sure about a light, probably gonna pick one up as soon I as I see one because I like to hold them in my hand before buying them :p

11. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your great advice, you are right with the Lighter... I ordered some Paracaord lately because it's so useful. Definitely gonna build my own Begleri with that!
    Not sure about a light, probably gonna pick one up as soon I as I see one because I like to hold them in my hand before buying them :p

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

You're probably SOL on handling any of the better lights first, as most are not sold in common "Brick & Mortar" locations. The Fenix is a common good/low cost recommendation, but only you can determine what you:
    A. Need
    B. Can afford
    C. Prefer

13. caninesapien

caninesapien Loaded Pockets

+1 on mini bic or clipper for lighter. I used to carry a Zippo even when I didn't smoke and I sometimes forgot to fill up the fluid so I ended up just carrying a pretty lump of metal around!

14. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Begleri are great, and it's fun to build and customize your own. I was using mine today to keep myself awake in the middle of a boring work-related presentation today. Tesla's right, you'll probably have to search around pretty hard to find somewhere that has the "better" lights. Except for Bass Pro which has Streamlight and Dick's which has Streamlight and 5.11, there's nowhere near me that has any of the light brands you'll seen mentioned on the forums.

Often when you find such things in local stores, at least near me in Jersey, there are way more expensive than they are online.

Ingo likes this.
  15. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

When I was 16 I carried a pocket knife/SAK, a pen, my wallet and cash.
    On work days I added a marker and a Buck 110 because it was "heavier duty" than my pocket knife/SAK
    At the time, this just seemed practical.
    Nowadays, I would think that a cell phone is "mandatory" for a teen.
    As you age your EDC will shift based on your needs.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Forget the Zippo they are a :censored: even used and filled regularly. I would throw in a small BIC probably won't need it but....

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. caninesapien

caninesapien Loaded Pockets

I got my first pocket knife around age 15, it was just a cheap Vic knockoff but I used it until it fell apart. I used it every day to cut fruit and other foods mostly. Went with my day to day carry of wallet, cigs & lighter and keys.

18. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The biggest and most important thing to consider here is 'what would I find useful' - consider your everyday life, think about the times you thought 'if only I had X with me...' and what sort of items you find yourself using regularly, and there is a great basis for your EDC - after all this is all about making your own life easier and more reliable, so finding the items that fit with your life is the important part.

Having said that, the items you have named are a great start - I am a big fan of the cadet as being a great balance between practical, easy to carry and inoffensive, and have one in my pocket as I type this, so I would definitely agree with your choice here. The one big thing I would recommend would be to research the knife laws in the countries you are going to be in and ensure you stick to them - knife laws can be very variable throughout Europe with th same knife being ignored in one country and yet get you arrested in another... I would also be very careful considering your age, as you may not be of legal age to purchase knives in some countries which could have a knock on effect regarding carry.
    As an alternative, there are knifeless tools available such as the Leatherman Style PS and some variants of their full size tools that should not pose any problems if you are concerned.

Regarding lighters - the design of the standard zippo means that the fuel will have evaporated from it a week or two after filling, so for occasional use they are not ideal. However, disposable lighters are cheap, readily available and can be very reliable - I would stick to a known brand such as BIC or Clipper and you should be good to go.
    If you do like the experience of the zippo, there are butane inserts available that let them function more like a disposable butane lighter, but do add to the cost...

For a torch I would recommend taking a look through the Fenix catalogue - good value, rugged and available in a wide array of different models. Something like an E12 or E05 would be a good place to start. Unfortunately I have yet to see anything really comparable in budget/performance locally to me, mainly options like the LED Lensers or Maglite models which I have never found to be quite as nice, if you are willing to take the chance on ordering online, Fenix are well worth a look.

Tactical pens I will admit I think are pretty silly - intended as a form of self defence weapon for when you are otherwise unprepared, but realistically pretty useless unless you are already trained in self defence and how to use them, otherwise they are just a bulky and heavy pen... At the same time, pens in general can be incredibly handy, to which I would recommend whatever semi-decent quality pen catches your fancy - things like the Fisher Space Pen and Parker Jotter are always favourites, but most decent (pretty much anything better than a bulk pack of ballpoints) pen should be functional - after all, the trick is in being prepared, and you already sound like you are a few steps ahead of most people already.

Water-Rat and Ingo like this.
  19. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Thanks alot, that sounds goof, definitely gonna take a look at those Fenix! I'm really happy with my cadet, even tho I recently purchased the Kershaw pub, it seems ready inoffensive... What do you think of it?

20. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

The question for me is, what do you want to be prepard for ? I am more an urban prepper, so I don't need real survival stuff.
    -BIC lighter
    -LAMY Logo pen
    -Aspirin
    -Labello
    -Leatherman Style PS
    -Nailclip (von Victorinox)
    -True Utility Handspan
    -Ratchet Rocket from Topeak with bits of your choice
    -small grip pliers, ebay about €5,-
    -gloves
    -earbuds
    -maybe a Leatherman Raptor ?