1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Building A Prepper EDC Lockpick/Bypass Kit--Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Osage, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Osage

Osage Loaded Pockets

Question: What tools would you put in a “prepper’s" EDC lockpick/bypass kit? Devices that require low-skill but would have a high percentage chance of being of practical use in the fire-on-the-low-floor-need-to-get-out-the-deadbolted-and-padlocked-roof-access-door scenario or something analogous. In other words, tools that would get one through 90% of locks but would be reasonable to carry and require minimal training time.

To start the discussion, below is one recommended set I found:

• Bypass knife (for that plethora of Chinese manufactured padlocks)
    • Bypass knife (thin for combination padlocks)
    • 3 or 4 Rakes
    • 3 or 4 Tensioners (some for top of keyway, some for bottom of keyway)
    • Minature slimjim
    • Four or more padlock shims
    • Set of warded-lock skeleton keys

Remember, I want to build an EDC kit more for “preppers,” not lockpicker enthusiasts, that is for people who do not want to put a lot of time training in lockpicking; instead, those of us that want to be prepared for the high-percentage low-skill attack.

Thanks in advance.

2. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

A glass breaker would be the quickest way through a glass door. Aside from that, a plastic shim for latches, something for knocking out hinge pins, and some rare earth magnets for electronic locks.

I'd recommend looking at the Lockpicking Lawyer's YouTube channel for the bypasses he uses (and some excellent entertainment!).

Bear in mind that whilst all of the above is legal to own (where I live, anyway) carrying it around might fall under the banner of "going equipped" and, should a LEO's eyes fall upon it, earn you his/her sustained attention!

jag-engr and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This is an important factor, because I know in my state, if you are not a licensed locksmith or dealer then carrying those tools is considered prima facie evidence of intent to commit a crime.

jag-engr and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  4. Osage

Osage Loaded Pockets

Presently it would appear that possession of lock picking tools is illegal only in Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. (according to lockwiki)

jag-engr likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

WELL!

Guess I just won't be buying lock picking tools anytime soon will I? (I live in Virginia.... ;) )

Thanks

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

jag-engr likes this.
  6. Osage

Osage Loaded Pockets

My kit as of today--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jag-engr likes this.
  7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That looks like a really solid start! The next three steps are practice, practice, and practice. Practice until you can consistently open each kind of lock. The best tools in the world can't make up for technique and "feel".

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  8. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Bosnianbill did this video on the subject a while back, its a pretty solid kit.I guess the OP has seen the video since its pretty similar, but might be interesting to others.

I carry something similar, I would add a handcuff key to your kit. Sure its not hard to do it with other picks but its a lot easier with a key and it doesn't take much space.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#8 Swe_Nurse, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    PragmaticMurphyist and Osage like this.
  9. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Honestly IMO the best solution is to follow the ruck, truck, house, plane method here. When it comes to picking, the general EDC kit that you carry with you everywhere should follow two of these principles: ruck and truck. I don't personally believe that you should carry a full blown pick any lock style kit everywhere with you on your person but having it in your truck isn't a bad idea either. In your ruck(on your person) maybe look into carrying a bogota concealment 2-piece set like this one found on ITS tactical: https://store.itstactical.com/collections/all-products-five/products/bogota-concealment-2-piece-toolset

This set is the set you should practice with the most as it is probably the simplest set you will have and can even be made with the right materials(I have essentially made this with 2 thick paper clips and a small multitool like the Gerber DIME). It will require the most skill as it is the least specialize but offers you great concealment and good practice to be able to use a more dedicated set. I would actually strongly recommend not carrying lock picks on yourself as they are very questionable legally and you never know what the context of the situation you are and how it could turn from reasonable suspicion(which may be enough for a LEO to search person) to straight up justifiable cause and put you in a bad place from something that started as a simple misunderstanding.

The kit you have in your picture is a great example of something you might store in your truck. I would also include a few more things to make a full blown hooligan kit. On that note, you may also want to consider carrying something like the breeches bar like the one found here on countycomm. https://countycomm.com/products/eod-robotics-breacher-bar
    Along with the breeches bar, I might add a medium sized set of bolt cutters and a medium sized sledge hammer. This kind of creeps on the verge of being a dynamic entry set however they are tools that do offer a wide variety of other uses that I would honestly add to my tool kit that I carry in my vehicle just because of the versatility. Again, what it comes down to is being able to justify what you are carrying based on how you carry it. All these things stowed in a backpack just kinda says "I'm looking for trouble." That doesn't mean don't carry it, it means know first that they are tools and when you carry things like this, you need to be doing so for the right reasons to not get into trouble.

The key thing to remember in any of these situations is that the more dedicated the tool is to breaking and entering, the more questionable it is. The Bogota picks and breeches bar border on being overt B&E tools and I would strongly urge towards finding more covert solutions such as a small carpentry kit in your truck that includes a large hammer and pry bar along with male carrying a small stationary kit on your person or a few paper clips in your wallet with a small multitool. Carrying any of this isn't worth anything if you don't train and practice with it so that is the biggest advice I can give. Practice, on more then just one lock from one maker. Play around with making torsion bars and picks from different things and know where the best place to find those things is in a pinch.

Last edited by Doc18, Jul 8, 2020
    #9 Doc18, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Yes, I’m late to the party here.
    But I find it interesting what y’all carry or think to carry. This https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1813&groupID=2015 is what I have either in my car or on me when I travel by other mode of transportation. Opens bathrooms, water taps, and much more. It saved my :censored: more than once in everyday situations.
    E.g. was on a three hour train ride. All toilets “Closed for maintenance” and no conductor. People nearly kissed me when I unlocked the doors, no matter in which conditions those toilets were.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  11. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

That Knipex is awesome. I was planning on getting a regular 4 way silcock key but after seeing this I might just grab one. Do you know where it’s made?

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Website says „Quality made in Germany“. What’s the difference?

mash4077 likes this.
  13. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

#mash4077 JB Tool has this tool in stock. I just ordered one from them, on sale currently. Three left in stock as of 0800

14. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info.

15. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

The difference between the KNIPEX TwinKey® and a typical 4 way silcock key is the number of different locks one can open: Knipex = 10, silcock key = 4.

But I assume you know the difference as you carry a TwinKey, don't you?

+1 vote for the TwinKey!

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. What difference does it make where it’s made?

17. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

Umm quality perhaps? I’d take anything German made over Chinese made crap that may fail you when you need it.

18. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Who or what makes you think, that all the stuff coming from China is crap and all the stuff coming from Germany is not? That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

tera tike and echo victor like this.
  19. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Don't need to EDC burglary tools. Same as having a gun in your car. Same as being in a bar at closing time. As the HEEHAW reoccurring skit used to say: "Stay out of them places!".

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Lock bypass tools are only burglary tools if you are using them for burglary. I have used them around the house and once at the office when the cleaners accidentally locked my office door. There are plenty of legitimate uses.

That being said, all users should check local laws before carrying these.

keycutter and mash4077 like this.