1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Building A New Home: EDC Style!

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by heathah, Jun 8, 2011.

1. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

He has 6" walls with spray foam insulation:

8" walls is what I'm looking at when I build my next home. I'm a little undecided regarding the insulation material as I'm not sure I'd want spray foam. But, can't beat the insulation properties of it.

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

On one of this old house shows they built outside walls with solid insulation and the an interior wall for electric and other utilities. So no way cold or heat could penetrate very easily!

3. xxForceTenxx

I forget the terminology for it. But, that was shown in a document I have. The walls are actually 10" thick if I'm not mistaken and it's supposed to be the most efficient way a wall is made. The downside, IMO, is that it's a lot of wasted material. I think the compromise is 8" thick walls with spray foam insulation that has conduit for wiring, in case of replacement or expansion. The pipes are run under the flooring and come up inside the cabinets.

4. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Good idea too, with technology changing conduit is a good idea! Use 3/4 inch conduit also may need the room!!!

5. xxForceTenxx

I would run multiple conduits. IMO, you want one for electrical 110/220 and another for low voltage such as network, audio, alarm, phone, etc. I would do 1" ID plastic. Not so much because of growth. Rather, it's easier to push things through and allows for larger insulated runs. 12/2 in a 3/4 can be difficult at times.

6. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

I _think_ current code (or at least good practise) here is to have water pipes run visible, as in not inside walls or floor. In case of pipes burst/leak it'll be easier to fix and it won't leak hours/days into the building structure.

Electrics are run in conduits inside walls, of course.

7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

So they run water pipes on the surface of the walls and ceiling exposed? Hey one of my posts from last night has shown up!!!

8. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I've never heard of exposed piping, pretty sure that would be against code these days. I'm all for pex, and it can't be light exposed in a proper install.

Conduit for electrical installs then buried in spray foam is good practice. As far as the low voltage stuff, I don't even see a need for it anymore. Everything is heading wireless, why waste the money for all that conduit and wire.

Looks like a sweet plan you have going on here. I'm retrofitting an old farm house, and still wondering why I didn't build new. Guess I needed a little history.

9. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wireless is good but has security issues at least with me. Fiberoptics is something pretty nice to me wish I had it run to my home! Nice to hear about your project sounds like alot of work but will be nice when its finished, history is good to a point!

10. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

My current apartment is built in 1977 and water pipes here run inside walls. If a pipe bursts (freezes during winter or for some other reason), it might leak for months inside the structure unnoticed unless water pressure goes at once and people start wondering. Possibly that first sign of water leak is people having breath issues and developing asthma due mold spores in the air.

Noticing water almost immediately on your floor you know it's time to call help :D (and a lot cheaper to fix, compared to taking down walls/opening concrete floors or leveling the whole house because it's beyond repair).

https://picasaweb.google.com/102794955257437693632/Pipes?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPfw4bz9joiDZA&feat=directlink

I snatched those pictures from local website listing apartments for sale. Examples were built in 2003 and 2007. It's easier to show what I mean rather than trying only to use words ;) Note the Santa hanging in the pipes :p In kitchen pipes would be run inside cabinets, out of sight but easy to reach.

11. xxForceTenxx

Low voltage is more than just network (BTW, physical wiring is safer than wireless for networks in terms of security and it's faster too). It's also TV, sound, A/V, etc. It's also security systems and if you decide to go with LED wiring, it could be inside of there as well depending upon where you put your control electronics. It's cheaper to run low voltage wiring than it is to run 110/220v.

This happened to us in the apartment we were living in before we bought our home. The apartment above us sprung a leak in a radiant heat water system and it soaked our ceiling and corner wall over time. Who knows how long it had been leaking because it wasn't a big leak. They had to tear our wall and ceiling apart to fix it and it didn't phase the upstairs tenant one bit as it was under the floor.

I prefer exposed pipes as well. What I was referring to previously was open floor joists with water pipes there. Done right, exposed pipes can look very nice. My grandma's old home had exposed pipes and it fit the home well.

That's a great looking apartment! Do you know if that was a one bedroom, studio/efficiency or something else? I've always been fascinated by smaller places.

12. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

I can see xxForceTenxx's message with tapatalk but not with regular forum interface. Edit: now that I replied with tapatalk, it appeared here... :)

I'm sorry but I didn't really take note how big those apartments were, in those pictures is pictured several random homes. I'd guess they were 3-4 rooms. I was more interested in pictures this time.
    :D

13. don Roberto

don Roberto Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking of running a fiberoptic cable from our desktop PC to a backup unit inside a Faraday cage. Of course, getting power to the backup unit is something I haven't quite figured out yet...

14. don Roberto

don Roberto Loaded Pockets

Congratulations on the decision to do your own house! My manager built her own house, but the general contractor was a better visionary than project manager, and it came in ... you guessed it ... months late and over budget. Fortunately, she intends to never move again, so she won't have to do it again. Sounds like you're doing better by being your own general contractor.

My wife and I have talked about building something based on the principles of an Earthship, but first we have to decide where we're going to build it. Then save up to buy the land. Then...

I haven't given up hope, and posts like yours help me keep believing it'll happen some day. When it does, I fully intend to incorporate some of the items you list above :)

15. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

heathah: I’ve found and seen your house/construction site in Google maps. But I don’t know if you want me to link to it here. :angel:

16. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

An update would be cool. Perhaps he has dropped off the grid.

17. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

That's a whole bunch of planning you've done there! Well done!

Edit to add: my dad has two secret doors in his house that he built a few years ago, they don't lead anywhere 'special' just his bedroom and the cellar but they are very cool! I'll see if i can dig up pictures

18. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Sorry, guys. I've not been on here too much lately.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up.

We finished the house up in May and have been enjoying it for almost 6 months now. So far, our planning has really paid off!

Heath

19. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Looking forward to seeing pics.

billybogota and Gnarly like this.
  20. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

+1