1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Build your own or purchase a kit

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bigant2984, Mar 22, 2017.

1. bigant2984

bigant2984 Loaded Pockets

So I'm a newbie to edc and I want to get a basic med kit in my bag, do you prefer to build your own or purchase. I was interested in one of those adventure kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westtime likes this.
  2. CodeBru1984

CodeBru1984 Loaded Pockets

I build my own as mine have specific purposes behind them.

3. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

I do both personally. For my hunting bag I have an adventure kit just to get the full kit, then I add and remove things I need or don't. For my personal edc bag (rush24) I have my own in a maxpud micro. It's all a matter of preference and convenience and I have found middle ground for both. The key is to think about your situation and what you are most likely to need vs how worth it it is to lug it around all the time.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  4. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

I with him - do both. I kind of combined a boo-boo kit with a blowout kit. Bought a good starter that had some of both, bought a clamshell style bag and molle'd them together.

Added better tourniquets and a bunch of OTC things. It's weird looking but seems to work well.

Here is a post about it with contents. It's changed a little, but the concept is the same.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eedcforums%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fthreads%2F136970%2F&share_tid=136970&share_fid=9229&share_type=t

And the revised version.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eedcforums%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fthreads%2F137064%2F&share_tid=137064&share_fid=9229&share_type=t

My First Aid Kit ver. 2

My First Aid Kit

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#4 Mark9117, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. Menteerio

Menteerio Loaded Pockets

I'm of the mindset that a tourniquet is a waste of space. Can't a stick and a rag do the same thing? Not trying to be rude. Just trying to have my mind changed. (Background: navy trained first aid responder and a tour in Bahrain. )

Brickhaus and Batsy like this.
  6. bigant2984

bigant2984 Loaded Pockets

That's what I was thinking buying a Starter kit, and adding an changing things out but I'll continue my research

Mark9117 likes this.
  7. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

No, a stick and a rag will not do the same thing. Improvised tourniquets are not effective and on top of that they are more likely to cause tissue damage if it does work. An effectice tourniquet is a proven way to handle traumatic arterial bleeds in the extremities, whether the trauma causes amputations or not.

So no, a stick and a rag will definitely not do the same thing.

8. Elw9514

Elw9514 Empty Pockets

Build your own, that way it is tailored to your individual needs and skill set. A lot of the off the shelf or issue IFAKS, tho they are good,have a lot of items that without training you probably cant use. Plus they are not geared for the usual EDC routine.

E

9. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

More important than your kit is taking first aid class if you haven't recently. Also, I learned how to improvise at camp as a kid, and I remember a surprising amount from then.

I made my own kit for my bag, but have larger purchased ones in my wife's and my cars. My little bag kit is just bandaids and various antiseptics. Between these things, the Gorilla tape I have wrapped around my pocket flashlight, and the cam strap I use as a belt, I'm pretty covered for the average day.

10. jberner88

jberner88 Empty Pockets

This.

As a trained provider I can tell you that the best first aid tool you can bring to the table is the knowledge. Once you know what to do, you will know what tools YOU need to get the job done and tailor a bag to what you like to use/know how to use.

sungame and aasoverteakettle like this.
  11. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I like to buy premade then add and remove things because I tend to find it more cost effective than buying everything separately

sungame likes this.
  12. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

My sister still works in a hospital; supplies are dated and have to be disposed of periodically.
    Check with the buyer in your local hospital; you may be able to get some free stuff.

13. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

A kit is a great starting place. After training, of course.
    I would look for a container the correct size with items you know how to use. Build it from there. Move into a better container when you find the right one and know what you need.

I have:
    • Purchased pre-packaged kit for each car. Handy size, mostly boo boo items.
    • Small duffel kit (purchased) with additional items near my front door. Larger, contains more advanced care supplies such as cold compresses, ace wraps, larger trauma pads, an Izzy, some QK packs.
    • Personal trauma kit; TQ, QK, Izzy, CPR mask. I carry this in the field when working. Aid is <5 minutes away, this is stop gap for major injuries. Fits in a pocket on my field vest.

14. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Besides, where are you going to find a "Stick and rag" in an urban environment? A TQ (if trained) is easy to carry and takes up very little space.

kensington likes this.
  15. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I don't mean to be an :censored:, but that is a piss poor mindset. Why is carrying something, potentially life saving, a waste of space?

I have saved a life with a tourniquet and take one with me everywhere I go. I didn't have time to find a "rag and stick".

16. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

Totally agree, modern tourniquets are far less likely to cause Ischemia. North American Rescue CAT Tourniquets are the way to go.
    --Ben

bigant2984 likes this.
  17. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I buy a base kit with the central things I want in it then add and modify to fill whatever need I have. For example, my vehicle trauma kit started out as a QuikClot Adventure Kit, then I added a bunch of junk to make it work for my needs and stuck it in an FR1.

bigant2984 and Adam Ng like this.
  18. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

Build your knowledge base and then get the tools to fit the knowledge. They may be prepackaged or you may have to build to suit. One thing I would warn against is a sealed kit for first aid or survival. People tend to not break the seal on things until it is too late. Use your kit often, keep track of what is in it and replenish as necessary and in a timely manner.

19. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Wow... Just wow...

If you need your mind changed, then you obviously have not been following along with the recent 180 on TQ's. These seem to be the one item if nothing else you should carry.

PreparedCitizen likes this.
  20. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I tend to think making my own gives me the chance in putting things in that I know how to use.

kensington and bigant2984 like this.