1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bug out Bucket

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Agar, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Agar

Agar Empty Pockets

I had the idea a while back and looked around and was able to make my idea come to fruition one day, and now that I've had some time to fiddle with it, it has proven sound. Here's the basics of the idea:

I wanted something to cover the basics. And by basics I'm talking about the basic needs of survival as defined by Dave Canterbury, from the early days of Dual Survival. General consensus has his wisdom as not being garbage, and the 5 C's of survival are not a bad guideline to start from. These are 5 things that are highly useful in any survival situation and use large amounts of energy to replicate if you don't have them.

Cutting - you want to be able to cut things. No qualifiers like battoning wood or field surgery, just you want something to cut with.
    Cordage - you want to be able to bind things together. Again, not required to rappel with while ice fishing simultaneously, just make two things into one thing.
    Combustion - Fire ... Good! (SNL paraphrase) Reliable fire you have experience with. Having a flint and steel means nothing if you don't know how, or when, to use it.
    Cover - Get an edge over the elements. Doesn't have to be a 8 man bivouac with an inflatable xbone, just better than nothing. (more on better than nothing later)
    Container - Something to carry WATER in. Carrying things is easy, if you can't carry water, your options are limited, sometimes lethally.

Now, these basics are covered in a wide variety of means and kits for different purposes and environments, and they all serve their purpose. Now comes the second part of my challenge: I'm poor, and I can only spare a Jackson. How can I come up some kind of kit for all five C's for less than $20?

Enter the Bucket.

The central foundation of this kit is an unused Gallon paint can. Has to be unused, can't recycle here if it's ever had anything not food safe inside it, unlined if you can find it, lined requires some preparation, but nothing insurmountable. A gallon paint can gives you a container for your water and options to make it potable. If it's unlined or you've cooked the lining off beforehand, you can just boil you water in the can. If you can't or shouldn't make a fire, water purification tabs treat a quart of water at a time typically, so 4 doses will treat your whole bucket. When you're not using it to carry water, you can carry everything else for the other 4 C's inside the bucket, which is light weight, has a convenient handle, is rather inconspicuous, and is resistant to incidental damage. A unused Gallon paint can will set you back $4-$5 typically, not including any shipping if you order it online (shipping is your problem)

Inside the bucket, we'll start with sisal twine. Again, cheep, I picked up a length a the dollar store, for a dollar ... obviously. Sisal twine is good for tying things together easily enough and doubles as fire starter. Readily available and commonplace, it doesn't give off any prepper vibes, keeping ne'er do wells out of your business while letting you go about yours.

For combustion, we'll be looking at the classic box of strike anywhere matches. You can find those at the dollar store too. Want them to resist water? I bet the dollar store sells ziplock baggies, put the box of matches inside one ziplock inside another ziplock. While it's not water "proof" it's better than nothing. Including the ziplocks, you're looking at $2

For cover, we'll splurge and go get an emergency mylar cover. Walmart has them for around $6-$7 and they have a variety of uses, not limited to Signalling, tent roof, poncho, heat reflector, rain cover, etc. This may end up being the most expensive thing in the kit if you're doing it right.

For cutting, we're not going fancy here. If you have a spare knife you can keep safely inside the bucket, do it. I've found awful SAK knockoffs at the hardware store, even found something resembling a multi-tool at the dollar store for $3, although I expect and will be using it like each tool will shear off the rest as soon as they are put to use, but it's better than nothing.

And we're back to the main lesson of this exercise. "It's better than nothing." Spending less than $20 in total, retail, I have something that's easy to have in case something happens that would make life outside of a home potentially more survivable. By no means am I "prepared" for ANYTHING, but I'm ready for something, and more importantly, I'm thinking about what might be coming, what I want to be ready for, what I need to have, what I need to learn, I'm thinking about being prepared for something, instead of reacting to anything. It's the start of being proactive, and that's a valuable lesson for anyone to have.

There's one other thing inside the bucket that makes it valuable.

Space. Maybe your kid needs an inhaler. Maybe you want to have some bullion cubes for "food". Maybe spare mags, barter goods, a map, family photos, etc. That space is there for you to make the bucket YOUR bucket, for your needs, for you to use the lesson you learned to think about what you want to prepare for and how you are going to prepare for it. That space is yours, and while it is nothing, it's better than nothing...

TDS, jeepsrjason, RoadWizard and 8 others like this.
  2. Agar

Agar Empty Pockets

One thing you forward thinking people might have thought of: "Where do you carry everything when you've got water in your bucket?"

I had picked up a dollar laundry bag from the dollar store for that, but it was little more than pressed dryer lint and fell to pieces just sitting the back seat of my car. I got a re-usable grocery bag for a couple bucks and it's worked a charm since, and still hits under $20, total.

riot, New_Pollution1086 and kertap75 like this.
  3. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like this idea and think I'm going to do something similar with a 5 gallon bucket soon. Right now most of my prepairedness supplies are in a cardboard box in the closet by the front door. Shelter in place has always seemed more likely then having to get out of dodge. But I have unused buckets, why not spend half an hour and make my kit more portable too?

New_Pollution1086 likes this.
  4. New_Pollution1086
    • In Omnia Paratus

New_Pollution1086 Loaded Pockets

Good idea!

Although when money permits upgrade to a good sak and a way to sharpen. A crap quality dull knife can be a hazard. Also a piece off garden hose or cloth on the handle to make it more comfortable for carrying your B.O.C.

T

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

5. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Make two and employ the age old pole carry technique. I'd post a link but, well...

6. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

Nicely written, and an excellent idea! Well done sir!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

RoadWizard likes this.
  7. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Great thread Agar.

My old barber used to make something similar out of 10# coffee cans. He'd pack everything in and then seal the can. They were new cans and he kept one in every car and in his shop as well. I think I have the list of contents somewhere. It would be good reference and you might see something on it you had not previously thought of.

A little on my barber for fun. He and his twin brother are in their mid-fifties. Both retired as full bird colonels from the U.S. Army six months apart. Both are Airborne Rangers. Both served multiple combat tours and one was special forces. The first to retire only made it six weeks before he was bored out of his mind. When the other brother got ready to retire, he told him how awful it was so they (and their wives) decided to go to barber college. Greatest barbershop ever!! You could get a straight razor shave and buy an AR-15 in the same trip because they sold guns out of the same shop!!

Anyway, I'll see if I can find the list.

Lou_G, Vesp, riot and 3 others like this.
  8. Agar

Agar Empty Pockets

I completely agree that a decent knife should be the first upgrade. Having any knife can mean a great deal of difference between surviving or not. Without a knife, you can't cut cordage, butcher game, set traps, reuse fabric straps as bandages; no matter if you knew how or not, without a knife your potential is limited.

That being said, putting all your faith in an untested knife of "questionable" quality can actually kill you on its own. The blade could not hold an edge, or break. If you were in combat and your knife blade broke off, if it wasn't inside someone's vital organs already, its done you more damage than them. If it broke while cleaning game you could end up with a nasty cut if it hits you, leaving you not just with an injury, but a disease vector for anything inside what you were cleaning, or zombie virus.

Individual knife preferences vary so each person should find the knife that suits their abilities and needs, and budget, and use it regularly to be familiar with it. Having a great knife you never use puts you behind the curve from someone with a cruddy knife that uses it regularly. So if it came down to a fit suburban prepper with a Tom Brown Tracker he's never used versus an inmate with a shiv he uses to shiv at least one person a day with, the shiv comes out on top.

Don't get shived. Use your knife.

and don't shiv anyone. It's rude.

riot likes this.
  9. RossCHardy

RossCHardy Loaded Pockets

This is very similar (in concept, if not execution) with something Alex Wolf did over at TEOTWAWKI Blog. He went a bit larger-scale, but I think as a thought experiment (and even as a practical "something-better-than-nothing" approach) it's interesting.

10. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

good idea pics would be good.
    Xiii

11. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Here is what is in the Clay Survival Can. It is a #10 can (think coffee can), and a lot of the items have been removed from their package.

Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pak
    · Aluminum Foil, 3 Sq. Ft.
    · Duct Tape, 2 x 26
    · Compass, Liquid Filled
    · Fresnel Magnifier
    · Scalpel Blade, #22
    · Thread, Bobbin #69, Nylon
    · Signal Mirror
    · Spark-Lite Fire Starter
    · 4 – Tinder Quick Fire Starters
    · Safety Wire, Stainless 6 Ft.
    · Nylon Cord, 10 Ft. 100 lb. Test
    · Instructions
    · Clamshell
    · Waterproof Paper
    · Pencil
    · Sewing Needle, #18
    · 2 0Split Shot, Lead
    · Snap Swivel, Size 12
    · 4- Fish Hook, #10
    · 4 – Safety Pins
    · Whistle
    Survival Kit –In-A-Can
    · Compass
    · 9.8’ Multi-Use Cord
    · 4 –Waterproof Matches
    · Soup Packet
    · Sugar Packet 2
    · Antiseptic Swabs
    · 3 Twist Ties
    · Signal Mirror
    · 2 Bandages
    · 2 Safety Pins
    · Signal Whistle
    · Sewing Needle
    · Note Paper
    · Survival/First Aid Pamphlet
    · Fire Starter
    · 3’ Wire
    · 101’ Fishing Line
    · Tea Bag
    · Match Book
    · Razor Blade
    · 12” Duct Tape
    · Zip-Lock Bag
    · 2 Nails
    · 2 Fish Hooks
    · Chewing Gum
    · Energy Candy
    · Pencil
    1-Liter Platypus Plus Bottle with Push-Pull Cap
    · Collapsible, packable, anti-microbial
    · Can treat water with purification tablets
    · Compatible with Aquamira purification straw
    Adventure Medical – Medical Kit.3
    · 2 Bandage Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
    · 2 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
    · 3 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2” x 2”, Pkg./2
    · 4 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1” x 3”
    · 1Moelskin, Pre-cut & Shaped (11 pieces)
    · 1 Splinter Picker/Tick remover Forceps (Tweezers)
    · 2 Ibuprofen (200mg), Pkg./2
    · 2 After Bite Wipe
    · 2 Antihistamine (25mg)
    · 2 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use
    · 3 After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe
    · 2 Alchohol Swab
    · 1 Tape, ½” x 10 Yards
    Dental Repair Kit
    · Instruction Sheet
    · 2 Anbesol/Orasol
    · 1 Benzocaine 20%
    · .75 g1 Temporary Cavity Filling Mixture
    · 1 Tea Bag 100% Natural Pekoe Tea
    · 5 Cotton Pellets
    · 5 Cotton Rolls
    · 1 Dental Floss 0.5- Wax Rope
    · 3 Tooth Picks
    Best Glide Fishing Kit
    · Durable tin container sealed with water resistant tape
    · Derma-Safe Utility Knife
    Pak-Lite Ultra LED Flashlight
    · 2 Modes – Soft & Bright
    · 1,200+ and 80+ Hrs. Runtime Respectively
    · Includes 9v Lithium Battery
    · Light Cap, Glows In Dark
    Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System
    · Removes more than 99.9% of Giardia and Cryptosporidium
    · Compact Size, weighs less than an ounce
    · Filters up to 20 Gallons
    Potable Aqua Water Purification Tablets
    Leatherman Super Tool – 300 Multitool
    Adventure Medical Kits Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy, Large
    Miscellaneous Items
    · Survival Bandana
    · Has a lot of know-how info printed on it
    · Rothco 550lb. Type III Paracord, 20” Hank
    · Bic Lighter
    · Super Glue
    · 3 Bouillon Cubes
    · Cable Ties
    · Tweezers
    · Nail Clippers
    · Air Horn
    · Cable Saw
    · Rubber Bands
    · Lip Balm
    · Snare Wire
    · Kevlar Thread
    · Flents Ear Plugs
    · Nail
    · 2 Tea Bags
    · Sutures
    · Chem Light
    · Sun Block/Bug Juice

RoadWizard and riot like this.
  12. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

^ Holy smokes! He didn't leave out much, did he?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

No he didn't. There is clearly some overlap as a result of buying the ready made "kits." I never would have considered the dental stuff before seeing his kit.

He puts it all in a #10 can, seals it, puts a P38 can opener on top, then puts the plastic lid on.

I bet I have 80% of this stuff around the house.

14. Grinch

Grinch Banned

I want to know why he has an Air Horn in there .:confused:

15. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Signaling I assume......Be a hell of a way to get someone's attention.

riot likes this.
  16. Agar

Agar Empty Pockets

The bug out bucket can be prepared quite extensively as demonstrated in the Clay Survival Can. You can get started for $20 with the can and the basics and grow on it from there. Roomy, durable container with room to grow, pre or post-event, you've be able to let your survival kit grow with what you find and what you have on hand. This is just an economical seed to anyone's survival, and it can be a cheap add on to anyone's existing kit. If you just met a new girl and happen to be with her and her kid when something happens, you can carry your BOB, girl takes whatever she has set up, but you could get the kid involved in surviving by having him carry the bucket. You probably have backups to everything in your bug out bag, so it's not mission critical you don't get separated from kid and/or bucket, and it gives the kid something to keep his mind off the big picture so they don't get overwhelmed.

If anything else, slap a bow on top and call it an Xmas present so people don't show up at your doorstep, or at least not empty handed.

17. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have to say I'm going to incorporate the dental stuff into my own kits.
    Pain from a broken tooth is the last thing you need when you're in a situation that requires the bug out bucket.

RoadWizard likes this.
  18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I really like the paint can idea because you can carry it. You can also get into it and then reseal the can after ward. You could also boil water in the can if need and the handle would make it easy to remove from a fire with a stick.

19. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

If I was going to make this kit, I'd probably use a billy can instead of a paint can.

20. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Why?