1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

**** Bug Out Bike

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by TomWelch, Feb 26, 2012.

1. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

2. HybridMomentsPass

I watched this and the second video
    While I agree, bikes are good in case things actually did go south......having all of that gear on there (assuming a lot, he showed two guns, plus whatever would be on the cargo rack), would make him a huge target. And with the trailer he'll be less agile. He'd get robbed.

3. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice video. One more reason why I want a bike again. I miss my bike :(

4. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking this for years. 2 saddle bags, a pack and a backpack. A bed roll on the handle bars, and some hydration around the frame. One for each member of the group. No gas, no power. Rig a setup to charge GPS, radios and mp3 players...

5. Jakerock

Jakerock Loaded Pockets

I have a touring bike which is setup for self contained long distance camping trips, which in many ways is about the same thing as bugging out. You can get into and out of a whole lot of places that would be impossible for any automobile, very quietly, and without reliance on fuel except for food.

But, as with anything, you have to learn to pack efficiently, and make sure that you are in good enough shape physically for what you want to accomplish. Also, you might want to get a "decent quality" bicycle. Having 50 - 70 lbs of gear plus a human on a bicycle isnt what most of them were made for. Thick spokes, puncture resistant tires, low gearing and reliable components like brakes are worth every penny spent in terms of peace of mind and mileage. You will have plenty of hardship just keeping it moving when climbing a long hill to be worried about derailleurs falling apart and spokes popping off from all of the weight.

Theres also a type of bicycling that folks are calling "Bikepacking" which combines ultralight backpacking with offroad trail riding which I find very attractive. This would allow you to be alot more away from the action, and probably allow you to cover quite a few more miles than on foot, but you cannot carry as much because of the terrain.

I wish the guy in the video a lot of luck, but I think that the quality of that bike and the idea of trying to load that weird thing up to use as a trailer is going to be really awkward to ride very far.