1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buffs and bandanas.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by RC2814, Aug 27, 2012.

1. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

I just recently learned of these buffs. Went to buy some new bandanas today and they had some there. Kind of neat concept, I suppose. Never tried one. It was $22, the bandana was $1.25. Leaving my lottery winnings in my other pants, I opted for two bandanas.

2. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I have one original Buff, one Merino wool Buff and several knock-offs. Usually have one in my RR pocket and at least one more in my bag and frequently one on my head. Use them as handkerchief, lens cloth, solar protection and hair substitute. Easily washed, versatile and all that. Just don't use it as a handkerchief and then put it on your head without washing.

The wool one is a bit wider and a lot longer, wish they all were. It's my favorite and most comfortable but does get a bit itchy after a while. Also the printed pattern quickly wore off leaving a more or less solid color which I don't really mind but found disappointing from a quality aspect.

Been interested in a shemagh but not sure exactly how to wear it. Seems more like a piece of cold weather clothing and reminds me of an east European womens shawl. Maybe I'll pick one up for winter but just can't see it in hot weather.

3. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

I love my shemagh but, as I don't really feel the cold that much, it only sees the light of day when it's truly bitter outside. I've not mastered the art of traditional head wrapping with it, as it doesn't seem to stretch all the way round my expansive noggin (or I'm not doing it right) so I tend to use it as a scarf mostly.

4. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Loaded Pockets

I had never heard of a buff before, but just recently saw them at a local outdoors type store. At the time I had no clue why anyone would pay over 20$ for a bandana, but after reading this thread I am intrigued... One question though, how pocketable are these things? They look like a lot of fabric, and I am wondering if they fold down to a reasonable size when not in use.

spelling mistakes and misinformation courtesy of Tapatalk

5. Rsxtacee

Rsxtacee Loaded Pockets

Extremely pocketable! Mine folds up smaller and thinner than my wallet. Think handkerchief small.

6. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

Absolutely, though I tend to wear mine on my wrist instead... EDCF has filled my pockets to the brim already!

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I remember someone, possibly you, mentioning that before. I like the idea of having a wet one on my wrists for the cooling effect, but think that it would get too messed up if I did it at work.

8. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

Aye, may have mentioned it previously. That is my reasoning - since I started shaving my head it's invaluable on hot days. Don't worry too much about them getting dirty, they're easily cleaned (and I keep a spare on the strap of my fatboy.)

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Personally I carry both. Usually the Buff rides in the rear pocket & gets headbanded, and the hanky rides in bag, for towel duty;)
    My solar panels absorb the suns rays so I sweat alot;)

10. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Loaded Pockets

Today I became a buff owner, and I must say I am impressed so far! I've only had this thing for a few hours, but have already had a lot of fun trying to figure out all of the uses on the package. I am hopeful that this will replace my handkerchief for EDC.

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. Land

Land Loaded Pockets

I love my Buff. I wear it as a beanie quite a bit to hide the helmet hair that I often have. ;)
    [​IMG]

I also like to wear it as a neck gaiter.

Chris

Shepard and SAKplumber like this.