1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buffs and bandanas.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by RC2814, Aug 27, 2012.

1. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

I'm a diehard BUFF fan.
    I'd like them to be about 4 inches longer.

Gnarly likes this.
  2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Yeah...me,too.
    For us bucketheads!

Halligan and billybag like this.
  3. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple of merino wool buffs. My haircut is not unlike my avatar so they're good in summer and winter. They're especially good for stopping heat loss around your neck when it's cold or as an extra layer under a beanie. My green one works well as face camo too for hunting or fishing. I've also tied up the end before now to use as a makeshift bag.

72hours likes this.
  4. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

It seams for head buff is more useful but for utilitarianism, the bandanna takes the lead. So heres a question for you all. What better for utilitarianism... a bandanna or a shamagh? Sorry if I'm thread jacking. :D

5. RC2814

RC2814 Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for the input, it's been helpful. When my funds reach a satisfactory level, I'll probably buy the Buff and see if it suits my lifestyle. Hopefully it will thrive in the cold winters, serve as a replacement (or an alternative) to my UA skull cap, and prove itself as the capable device it's been touted as.
    @evolutionglitch: Shemagh. Shemagh all the way. More fabric always means better. Just be wary of the colors. Most people can't get past the negative relation the colors have, no matter how practical it is.

evolutionglitch likes this.
  6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Which colors? The traditional Middle Eastern red/white or red/black patterns, or the OD/khaki western military style?

Here in Norway, some conservatives and pro-Israel activists might be offended by the traditional patterns, which are often interpreted as a symbol of Palestinian nationalism. However, I doubt that anyone but gear freaks and soldiers with operational experience from Afghanistan would even recognize a military style shemagh for what it is. For most people, it would just be a scarf like any other.

7. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I used my shemagh to stem the bleeding when my daughter hurt her mouth a few days ago; a box of 'princess dress up items' got caught by the wind and smashed her in the mouth.

sungame likes this.
  8. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I guess there is a lesson to be learned here: Princess dress up items are dangerous, shemaghs are a girl's best friend.:p

mooshisho and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  9. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

Use my buffs for hair management when I have hair (scrunchie, pirate bandanna, headband), skin protection when I don't have hair (pirate bandanna), and a face mask in the winter/when there's particulate material in the air that I'd rather not inhale.

10. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

11. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

^ looks kinda goofy.
    Still, I'm curious about how well it'd work for head wear.

12. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have a Keffiyeh (also called a shemagh). I am not a fan of synthetics, therefore not likely to go the Buff route.

Being of northern climes descent, I don't tan, and burn easily. Last time at DizzyLand, I wore it folded into a triangle under my oilskin hat protecting my neck and face when needed. Not a second look from anyone.

Sometimes I will do the full head wrap, it really can get cold here in the winters, believe it or not. (I have PAK boots for outside shifts in February.) My Co-workers keep trying to send me to the Airport. They are evil :censored:s.

13. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Added point, my keffiyeh doubled as a sling on the same DL trip. (I pulled my shoulder.)

I have the black/grey and black/khaki ones from Tactical Tailor. No mistaking those for traditionals.

14. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

I don't have one , so I can't say. For looks, probably the same as a bandana tied as an outlaw mask???

The buff is micro fiber, but feels like cotton as far as I am concerned.

I actually wore both, the Buff inside and the Shemagh over. Buff to soak up sweat and easily washed with water on the fly. Kept wet to cool down..etc The Shemagh over to protect from the elements, dust, sun...etc.

I think they both have their uses, but it always comes down to the wearer's preferences.

15. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have an aversion to wearing pure synthetics for safety reasons. Molten polyester is not a nice thing.

ThornUnicorn likes this.
  16. wittyusername

wittyusername Loaded Pockets

I am a buff convert. While traveling thorugh New Zealand earlier this year, I picked up a buff at MacPac (called a yowie) and I love it. I should have gotten more than one because unfortunately you cannot order them in the US.

72hours likes this.
  17. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

The Original Buff is made of polyester microfiber. The Angler and the High UV series, however, are made of Coolmax Extreme which feels a lot like a soft combed cotton but wicks. The Wool Buff is made of 100% Merino Wool so has no synthetic fibers.

I use the Coolmax and the wool versions and they are very comfortable and efficient at wicking. I also carry a bandana in my pocket.

18. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

I wear a Buff under my motorbike helmet balaclava style... Actually two, a light microfiber one for summer and a wind-stopper lined one for winter. I belive I got it from a snow shop...
    And I carry a keffiyeh in my bag too. Love multi-use items.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

20. RC2814

RC2814 Loaded Pockets

Yep, saw the thread one random day. Became very interested when I saw the video. So useful for just a tube of fabric, just goes to show how imaginative people can be with the right mindset.