1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buffs and bandanas.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by RC2814, Aug 27, 2012.

1. RC2814

RC2814 Loaded Pockets

I was curious about your experiences with Buffs and bandanas. I want to know what some of the pros and cons are of each, and which one suits your needs better. For me, I was looking into the Buff (mainly the EDCF Buff ;)) because of the colder winters that are supposed to hit in the next few years, and how versatile it can be. I currently use an Under Armour skull cap to keep stray long hairs out of my face and my ponytail intact. If I were to use the Buff everyday, it would most likely be as a skull cap. But when the winter hits, it'll be very useful keeping my face warm. And it's light color would be great for the summer if I forget my boonie hat at home.
    On the other hand, a bandana is dirt cheap, and has plenty of uses in its own right (too numerous to list), and is always great for a survival kit.
    So any info on either would be cool to know. Also useful would be any unique applications of either pieces of clothing (especially using the Buff in a survival scenario). Thanks for taking time to look at this thread.

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I carry bandanas for the sake of wiping things down. The buff is for head use only. :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  3. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've never tried a buff but will hopefully be buying myself an EDCF one soon. I'm hoping to convince my wife I need it before the cold weather hits. I've never had much luck with bandanas. I think my head is too big lol. I'm going shopping for some cotton fabric to have my mother in law make into handkerchiefs for me. Maybe I should pic up some patterned fabric for bandanas as well.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

4. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

For me I like the versatility of the buff better. I have a largish noggin and making a bandanna fit is always a bit of chore. Also, the buff lies flatter than bandannas which helps under helmets. Another thing to consider is material. Most bandannas are straight cotton while the buffs are synthetic. as far as dew rag style, wear the buff pirate style. If its colder, wear it beanie style. I'm with Moo. Buff for the head, bandanna for other stuff (wiping up, wraping stuff in, collecting berries, etc.)

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've never worn either on my head. I can't pull that look off..

xtrajack likes this.
  6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Hows about as a snazzy neckerchief or scarf? :D

ThornUnicorn likes this.
  7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

tampoco.

8. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mumbo, have you tried the pirate method of the buff... Anyone can pull off the pirate. :)

mooshisho likes this.
  9. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

same for me. I'm currently dyeing mine!!!!!

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

color ?

11. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

12. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

:)

13. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I don't get it?

14. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

purple sir! :D

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

my bad the typo got me. currants?

16. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

yah I was stirring my buff while typing on my phone. :D

17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

You've likely stumbled across this, but in case not: Ways to wear a buff

The usual forum cliché — Buy both! — is good advice in this case IMO. Because they're both relatively inexpensive, not to mention useful and versatile.

Bandanas have been part of my outdoor kit for years: fishing, camping, backpacking, ATV riding (or the more mundane yardwork) or whatever. ATV riding in the desert? Have one used solely as face mask (after wetting down with water) to cut down on dust inhalation. And always one on my head before helmet goes on to keep the sweat outta my eyes. Same under ballcap when doing yardwork under Arizona sun. Two years ago, on week-long whitewater trip, thanks to heavy rains, water was extremely turbid. Bandana made perfect improvised — and much-needed — pre-filter for water filter for three days. You mentioned survival scenarios ... bandanas work well for soaking up early-morning dew or water from rock seeps if you're hard-pressed for potable water. I've used for compression to stop bleeding. And as potholder when cooking over a fire or campstove. The list goes on. Wouldn't be without several.

I fully expect a buff will be equally useful.

18. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

Belt and braces mentality, I carry two buffs and a bandana daily. I wear one buff on my wrist/head/whatever as appropriate and the other two items are in/on my bag. I've never felt it was overkill, though I can't remember the last time I used my bandana for anything!

19. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

IMHO, a Buff is better for actual use as an improvised cap, scarf or even balaclava, while a bandana is better for almost everything else (handkerchief, towel, cloth, bandage, tourniquet, arm sling, improvised carrying bag etc.).

Buffs are usually made from a synthetic material, and there is also a special woolen edition, I think. Both of these are way better than the cotton of a bandana in cold, wet weather. Living in Norway (see "cold, wet weather"), a Buff is what I wear around my neck for running, biking, canoeing, sailing or other sporting activity in moderately chilly (0-10 degrees Celcius) and/or wet weather.

I use a bandana as a neckerchief in said weather conditions when I want to look a bit classier. I also use one to cover my bald head when I go running in bright sunshine.

For below zero temperatures, I go with a nice woolen scarf, and when I go skiing when it is really cold (below minus 12-15 Celcius), I wear a Buff as a balaclava under my helmet.

20. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets