1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Budget MultiTool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Prepare2Prep, Oct 18, 2016.

1. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Not as many tools, but I found the old-style mini leatherman cheap on eBay. The folding handles make for a small package in your pocket and it has surprisingly good pliers.

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

On a budget like this, shopping around secondhand and waiting for a deal is probably going to be the best bet.

The Leatherman you already own is known as being pretty superb value, and honestly I wouldn't want to go much cheaper - in my experience below that point tools start losing quality pretty rapidly and really aren't worth the weight of carrying them.

A few options I would possibly look into though:
    Secondhand Leatherman tools - you should be able to find something like a Skeletool, or an older model like the Kick within your budget which would both be decent alternatives and fairly lightweight.
    The other king of value that everyone should at least try are the Victorinox penknives - a classic tool and for good reason, and are available in a huge range of sizes and toolsets to suit most people. a basic model like the Spartan or Climber makes for a superb everyday tool, and makes up for the loss of the pliers (though they are available on some models) in being wonderfully pocket friendly.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Narcosynthesis: +1 regarding Victorinox Spartan and Climber (and no doubt several others). I have a variety of SAK in my collection. I've come to the realization that many are similar to each other in terms of tools... As an example, there is considerable overlap between the Climber and the Super Tinker. Both versatile, compact, light weight tools to carry in pocket!

As far as pliers, several of the various 'Champ' models have some sort of pliers if needed. Not very heavyweight though; for pliers in that size range I go to the LM Squirt, which is light, small, and can be a keychain tool.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

To say the least. The only difference between them is that the Climber has a corkscrew, and the ST a PH screwdriver in its place. Since I use a corkscrew seldom outside our kitchen, I prefer the Super Tinker, while my wife carries the Climber I gave her as a birthday present decades ago. On the very few occasions we have needed one, I borrow my wife’s for the corkscrew, maybe three times in thirty years. But I use the screwdriver on mine seldom, too, and most of the time, the small driver tip on the bottle opener would do the job, unless the screw head is countersunk. I could live with either one.

FYI: some guys I knew back in my army days used to carry Tinkers for self defense. In Vietnam, servicemen on leave in the cities were often preyed upon by snatch and flee robbers, often mounted on mopeds or scooters. Firearms were forbidden, also overkill for the situation, so entirely legal Tinkers were carried with the bottom mounted screwdriver deployed, tip protruding between two fingers of their fists. Made an effective fist load. The awl was not used in that mode because you could easily cut yourself with contact.

While the S’champ pliers were limited, they were sometimes useful for small chores, but eventually I, too, went with a Squirt. Great little gadget, surprising all the little jobs it can perform.

Last edited by znapschatz, May 6, 2017
    #24 znapschatz, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Ive gotten Sidekicks and Skeletools from HD for under 20 new.
    I would NOT carry any of the knockoff stuff, nor would I carry a branded item (stankly, kobalt etc etc).

Leatherman gets you a great product that you can trust and has an amazing warranty with it.
    Try that with your $4 tool which will leave you stranded when it breaks as soon as you put some pressure on it.

Moshe ben David and znapschatz like this.