1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Budget MultiTool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Prepare2Prep, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Prepare2Prep

Prepare2Prep Loaded Pockets

So I really like multitools, I currently EDC a Leatherman Wingman. Which is awesome and probably for most people a "lower priced multi tool. However for me $40 is kinda my max knife or edc tool. I like having the Wingman on me however it is a bit heavy to carry, with my other pocket gear. I would like to get a new MT to swap out once in a while.

Anyone have experience with Budget MT's, maybe something readily available at a Walmart or Hardware store. Pliers are the biggest asset for me, knife would be great as well under 20 bucks would be awesome. This is for general edc purposes nothing specific or fancy. Just a desire for a new tool, Any suggestions or ideas?

UmbertoTortallini likes this.
  2. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Subbed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

SAK Mechanic maybe?These are a great little toolbox to carry around for around $25 in my experience.

I have yet to find anything much cheaper than the Sidekick/Wingman that seem serious enough for me?
    The Gerber Suspension is also not terrible if you can find one for $20 which is about what I remember paying for mine.

Also try looking at Pawn Shops and maybe find a nice one for cheap.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

My Ganzo 202 has been trouble free after 4 months of daily carry. About $20 at Amazon

[​IMG]

5. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

The problem with anything cheaper than a leatherman is that they tend to be way oversized/heavy and/or built like crapola. I took a look at the dewalt offering at home depot a few months ago as there was an open packet. What a pile of doo, no chance it would survive any sort of serious use. It reminds me of the cheap pliers that you could buy at the gas station. If you want something smaller and lighter than a wingman and are ok with non locking tools, the S44 pocket power plier from SOG is my recommendation. Very well made, and the pliers are so nice you can pull hair with them. I have removed metal and wood splinters with them too.

6. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

While a bit more than 40.00 the SAK Tinker Deluxe has replaced my leatherman surge and victornox Swiss tool as my EDC MT of choice. The SAK pliers are much smaller but very functional at a much lighter carry weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

I'll second this, mine has been very reliable

8. Brendon

Brendon Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Rev

9. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Gerber Dime, $15 or so on Amazon. Pliers, scissors, knife, and more in one small package.

ToxicToast likes this.
  10. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I have the 301 model I think, really not bad for the money, the bit set that came with it is certainly a nice touch, I haven't actually used it much so can't comment on hard/long term use.

11. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Since pliers and a knife are your most desired items, why not look for a Skeletool? Small, lightweight and you get the items you are looking for at a price about $2 above your $40 max. For a couple $ less you can get a Freestyle if you don't need the screwdriver.

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Suspension was around $20 if I remember correctly and also came with a bit set like this.

jacala and earthman like this.
  13. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you want new, I'd go for the Leatherman Juices (assuming they're still under 40- they were last I checked IIRC), the USA-made Gerbers (namely the MP600 and MP400) and the SOG Pocket Power Plier. All are good, well-built tools.

That said, I'd get comfortable with buying used and make fleabay my friend were I you. You can get fantastic deals on good tools if you know what to look for and are a bit patient, especially if you're not shy of cleaning off some crud or rocking someone else's love marks on your multi-tool.

mwelch8404 likes this.
  14. Prepare2Prep

Prepare2Prep Loaded Pockets

Update: So I was at Wal-Mart doing last minute Thanksgiving meal prep before work, and I saw the camping section, well... I knew it was there.. and I walked in that direction and I was right. I bought the Ozark Trail Multi tool for 4 bucks- not bad! I like it, cheap and seems to function well, the case is worth the 4 bucks alone, I am using the case for my Wingman and putting the Orark Trail Multi tool in my new outdoor products, tactical multi pocket, waist belted carry system.... Fanny Pack :)

15. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

[/QUOTE]
    That said, I'd get comfortable with buying used and make fleabay my friend were I you. You can get fantastic deals on good tools if you know what to look for and are a bit patient, especially if you're not shy of cleaning off some crud or rocking someone else's love marks on your multi-tool.[/QUOTE]

^^^^ This all the way. I picked up my older Sog Powerlock for $37 on the bay! Cleaned it up, was broken in, and I could afford to order parts from Sog to customize it to my needs. Usually the knife needs replacement but everything else is great!

16. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Ditto here, used it several times and it's been reliable. Feels solid but admittedly I'mnot a heavy user. I love Ganzo stuff.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

17. Mike 56

Mike 56 Loaded Pockets

While the Wingman isn't bad for the money. If you work eBay I just bought a nice LM Pulse for 35.00. PSTs, PSTIIs, Supper Tools, Supper tool 200s all can be bought for 35.00. Keep an eye out WalMart L have bought Super tool 300s and Waves for 32.00. At Christmas time HD and Lowes put LM on sale this year is was Skeletools for 29.00. on Clearance after Christmas Skeletools and Sidekicks 19.00 at HD. Last year I bought black LM Juices at OSH for 20.00 at Christmas time. There are a lot of good priced used SAKs and Gerbers on eBay as well. If you keep looking there is a lot of low-cost MTs out there.

18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The Stanley multi tool available at hardware stores, mass merchandisers and online is less than $20. For the price it is a decent tool which I have in the console of each vehicle. I used it for a quick trailer repair to replace the trailer emergency brake cable.

19. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

As far as non-micro budget MTs, I don't think you can make a better choice than the Wingman or Sidekick for $30. I've seen both at Home Depot before for less than $20 around the holidays. Both have the outside opening knife with locking blade, either scissors or saw depending on what you prefer, and pretty much any other tool that you would typically need. Plus you get a pocket clip, and they are spring-loaded, which are kind of a bonus, and a 25 year "no questions asked" warranty. Great value for the money.

If that is out of your price range, I'd go for a good micro/keychain tool before I'd buy a cheaper, no-name larger MT. A Leatherman Micra/Squirt, or a Gerber Dime can be had for $20 or less, and will probably outlast a knockoff full-size MT for average every day type usage.

20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'll stick with my LM Blast and my LM Squirt PS4. I know on this forum many consider a SAK to be a MT; but unless it includes a pliers I've never wrapped my mind around it in that light. Which doesn't mean I'll leave the house without a SAK! Far from it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David