1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Budget Kershaw, help me choose

Discussion in 'Knives' started by severdhed, Dec 13, 2016.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a pocket knife every day since I was about 16, starting with a cheap basic folder, then moving on to Swiss Army knife. My swiss army obsession grew to the point that I was carrying a swiss champ XLT everyday for a few years.

About 6 months ago, I picked up a Leatherman Skeletool and have been carrying a combo of that and a victorinox Huntsman. The Skeletool is my go-to pocket knife, and I'm very pleased with it. It was my first knife with a pocket clip and that can be operated with one hand. It is pretty sharp and I like the bonus of having lightweight pliers and basic screwdrivers.

That being said, I wish it didn't have a half serrated blade, and I also EDC a Surge, so I'm looking for something different. (The Skeletool CX is a little more than I want to spend)

I recently picked up a two pack of Kershaw knives at Walmart for $20. I wasn't expecting much for that price, but they aren't bad. They don't even list model names on the package.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kershaw-2-Piece-Knife-Set/54320555

Both are speedsafe opening.

One is a 3.4 inch half serrated blade, plastic handles, liner lock. I like this one, the size is nice, but I don't want a serrated blade.

The smaller one has a metal handle with frame lock, plain 2.75 inch blade. I like the size and feel of this one, but the flipper is the really stiff, and I just don't like the frame lock as much.

I like the assisted open feature, I just want a little better knife than these really cheap ones.

So, sorry for the long into, I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from.

I'm looking for a Kershaw folding knife with a plain edged blade. Must have speedsafe open, preferably with a flipper instead of thumb stud. Blade size isn't a huge deal, anything from 2.5 to 3.5 inches would be OK. I prefer the plastic handles and liner locks.

I was all set to order a cryo or cryo 2, but I handled an amplitude the other day at Walmart, I just didn't care for the slippery handles. I also looked at the leek, but I just don't like the look of it.

The problem is, there are quit a few good looking options in the under $40 range.

I think I've narrowed it down to the following choices.

Clash
    Link
    Oso sweet
    Entropy
    Grinder
    Volt II

Every time I think I know which one to get, a different one takes the lead for one reason or another. I'm in the IT field, not the wilderness type. I mostly use my knife for opening packaging and just playing with.

From the video reviews I've watched, it seems as if I'll be pretty happy no matter which one I chose, and I'm sure I'll end up getting several of them eventually.

I was just about decided on the grinder, something about that unusual blade shape is appealing to me, and it has a deep carry pocket clip, which is awesome. But I saw a review where they said it uses an inferior steel compared to a lot of the other ones.

The local tractor supply store has a clash, link and cryo in the display case, but I went there twice today and couldn't find any employees to help me. I thought of I held them it would help me decide. I won't buy from there because the prices are way too high and their service sucks. And the clash they have is half serrated

So, what do you guys think? Where should I start?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Out of the knives you listed, I have seen the Link suggested more often than any of the others.

severdhed likes this.
  3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Thermite. $35 shipped, Hinderer design, G10 front side, 3.5" blade, assisted. Nice knife. I have the Zero Tolerance ZT 0566 which is a similar knife, and I like it a lot.

4. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

Another possibility you might look into is the Blur. There seem to be several models of it with different handle colors, blade colors (black coated and regular), and it even comes in a couple of different steels. The cheapest I saw was around $42 plus shipping on good ol' Amazon (but it was from a 3rd party seller fyi). The only thing I don't know if you would like is that it has a bit of a recurve. I don't know how you feel about that and if that's not something you like, I can understand. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion if you might be willing to go just a few bucks over your $40 limit.

5. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

I'd take the Link first among those choices.

6. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

You can get a Cyro with G10 handles if you don't like the bare metal. It's a pretty heavy knife though, about the same as a ZT 0556, which is what i usually carry. A thick blade so not an ideal slicer. A Kershaw Skyline would be nice if you don't mind not not having speed-safe, but you can't get it in blackwash which is a :censored: shame. Something with a thinner blade would suit you best though.

Water-Rat likes this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have both the Thermite and Cryo in G10 and either would be great for you I think.
    I like a little larger knife with more blade than some of those others listed and both of these fit that bill for me.
    I carry the Cryo G10 when I work in Chicago as it looks small enough to be OK with the cops there but it is enough of a real knife to get the job done for me so far.

8. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

just to add a +1 to the skyline recommendation. It doesn't have speedsafe but flipper deployment can be every bit as fast, if not faster in some instances, as assisted opening. It is an exceptional blade, and can hold its own against sharps that are double the price.

I think there are premium options as well which is always a bonus, I think you can get a Damascus Steel version.

9. BadDad

BadDad Empty Pockets

I love my Oso Sweet. For a sub $40 knife, it packs a lot of bang for the buck, in my opinion. Takes a great edge, and holds it well.

I also have a Zing SS, and my daughter has a Shuffle. All are very decent knives for a very reasonable price...

10. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Kershaw Thermite

11. dinola

dinola Empty Pockets

For an IT guy just opening boxes... these are all alot of blade. The only 'must' that you listed was Speedsafe..... I wonder what the smallest Speedsafe is? (I wouldn't worry about 'inferior steel' - Kershaw make a nice knife and they use 4Cr13MoV in alot of knives that do general service just fine)

12. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. I stopped to look at a few today locally. I got my hands on a cryo, link and clash. While I like the look of the cryo, in just not really liking the way it feels. The link is nice, but out of the three, I like the clash the best.

That being said, the blades on the clash and the link are very wide. Coming from a Skeletool or SAK, which have narrow blades, I'm just not sure I want to go that wide now that I've handled them.

I'm thinking of sticking with something with a long/thin blade shape.

The thermite looks nice, but I don't really like the two sides of the handle being made of different materials.

The skyline looks nice, but I really want an assisted open.

So I think over narrowed it down to the Oso sweet or the entropy.

I saw an Oso sweet locally today, not a display model so I couldn't get my hands on it, but I liked it. I think I like the shape of it a little better than the entropy, but the entropy has a deep pocket clip.

I'm just so torn.

I'm also afraid I'm going to miss the Skeletool's functionality if i switch to a standard knife, even though the Surge I carry can handle any of those tasks. Having two sets of pliers has come in handy on several occasions. I did see that I can order a replacement plain edge blade for the Skeletool, so I'll probably end up doing that as well.

I should have just put several of these knives on my Christmas list for my wife, but she wass already done shopping before I really started looking at these.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Adahn likes this.
  13. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I agree wrt the flipper. I have a Cryo, which has both flipper and assisted opening. The assisted opening stopped doing a complete opening a long time ago -- so I just flick my wrist. One of these days I may just pull the spring out...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

15. Devil'sRival

Devil'sRival Loaded Pockets

Check out the Kershaw knockout. It's been my favorite for a while now. It has speed safe and a flipper. I find myself playing with it a lot and can open and close it one handed. It's in your price range as well.

I tried the blur but didn't like the speed safe and a thumb stud. I almost cut my thumb in the store because the blade out ran it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

16. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I see a lot of good things about the Blur, but After using the thumb stud on these cheap walmart kershaws, i just feel like i''m going to cut my thumb, the flipper just seems to work better.

I ended up finding the OSO Sweet locally on sale for $19.99 so i went ahead and picked it up. I've only had it for about an hour, but so far i'm pretty pleased with it. It fits nicely in my hand, the textured handle provides a nice grip. The blade opens smoothly and very quickly, which much less effort than those cheaper ones i bought. the blade is very sharp out of the box, no complaints there. I like the looks of this knife and i like the thinner blade shape much more than the thicker blades like the link.

The pocket clip is not bad, not super deep carry, but it works and can be switched between tip up or down. I had to bend it a little because it fit too tightly against the knife, i couldn't slide it into my pocket.

there is no play in the blade at all, and the alightment when closed is perfect.

overall, this is a great knife for $20, i'm very happy with it. I'm sure this won't be my last kershaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is for size comparison with My Victorinox Huntsman and Leatherman Skeletool
    [​IMG]

Moshe ben David and BadDad like this.
  17. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

My personal edc blade is the kershaw shuffle 2, it's really compact and doesn't draw attention, which is nice when I'm opening boxes for an order (I work in a kitchen) it has a liner lock, thumb stud, and also a bottle opener. The tanto blade makes it really easy to sharpen, great for a quick touch up.

18. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Chill.

No SpeedSafe but one of the fastest flippers I ever tried, incl. asisted openers.

[​IMG]

19. sukispop

sukispop Empty Pockets

Hi, I'd like to add my vote for the Link. I bought the House of Blades edition, which has the blade steel upgrade to S35VN, the deep pocket carry clip, and the HoB exclusive blue anodized aluminum scales(red also available), and it's a fantastic knife for $79.95. That said, the regular Link is still a great knife, especially for around $40. The aluminum scales aren't slippery at all, and feel good in the hand. Another nice touch, is that the Link is one of Kershaw's U.S.A. made models. Nothing wrong with the China made Kershaws, but given a choice I like supporting American manufacturing.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Spoiler (model 1334) can be had for $20 currently. Tanto tip, 3.75" blade, 6.1 oz, flipper, assisted, 8Cr13MoV steel, G10, liner lock, deep carry clip: tip up only, reversible left/right side.

Not my personal thing but not a bad looking knife. I prefer the Link's blade profile.

The Oso Sweet you bought looks like a good choice.