1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Budget folding knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by iamsalomon, Jan 16, 2010.

1. bawb

bawb Empty Pockets

i have also herd good things about byrd knives

2. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

Anything by Spyderco. The Buck Vantage Pro is one to look into though. Its great quality for the price. I believe it comes with g10 scales

3. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I rotate a couple of KA-BAR Dozers through my pockets. Inexpensive (less than $30 and cheaper if you look), solid lock, blade holds an edge OK, available without serrations (personal preference - I hate serrated blades), functional clip, and great size for EDC in a pocket.

4. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at a new knife recently, after my old linerlock fell apart (which was disconcerting, as I found out when I took it out the drawer, I think I may have been carrying it in a somewhat fragile condition for a while)
    the kershaw vapour looks like a very nice, inexpensive, frame lock, which can only be a good thing.
    the ontario RAT-1 folder has had pretty good reviews aswell
    past that everything else I've noticed has definately been mentioned allready.

5. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

Cut-n-paste. :-X

I'll post my usual recommendations:
    • Kershaw Skyline - $35 : US made, good Sandvik steel, nice the blade shape, G-10 handles, liner lock, hollow ground blade, bead blasted finish, 2 position clip for right handed tip up or tip down carry, phosphor bronze washers, light weight, smooth and fast flipper w/ thumbstuds also (non-AO)
    • Spyderco Tenacious - $30-35 : Chinese made, high quality, high value, very good fit & finish, decent steel, G-10, handles, liner lock, 4 position clip for tip up/down/left/right carry, phosphor bronze washers, fast & smooth deployment, open construction, full-flat grind, Spyder Hole (non-AO), great thumb jimping
    • Buck Vantage Pro - $40-45 : US made, S30V "premium" steel, G-10 handles, liner lock, very high value considering the Paul Bos treated S30V premium steel, great clip design that rides very low in pocket, hollow ground blade, 2 position clip for left or right tip up carry, open construction, flipper and thumbslot (non-AO), no jimping
    • Kershaw Leek - $35-50+ depending on steel and handle options : US made, steel handles, frame lock, good Sandvik steel (other steel choices include S30V, ZDP-189/Sandvik composite blade), hollow grind blade 2 position clip for right hand tip up or tip down, thumbstud and flipper w/ AO
    • Spyderco Native - $50 and up : US made, great S30V steel (other steel options available), FRN handles, linerless, pinned construction on the cheaper models, spear/leaf shaped hollow ground blade, 2 position clip for right or left handed tip up carry, light weight, linerless Spyder Hole (non-AO), great thumb jimping

All are 3 - 3 1/2". All are in my EDC rotation. You can get the Kershaws from Walmart. The Skyline is my favorite and gets the most carry.

6. M-14

M-14 Loaded Pockets

My son just decided on the Boker Trance for his first everyday folder... great value, great design.

7. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

Victorinox Swiss Army Knives are excellent. If you are looking for something a bit more "tactical", Spyderco Delica.

8. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

I EDC a CRKT BULL, now discontinued, very satisfied
    the downside of CRKT is exactly what makes it so exciting for a beginner like me: they work with a dozen different noted designers so there is something for everyone - but that also means you cannot make general assumptions about their ergonomy, lock-up etc like you could (?) about Spydies.
    They are already out with their 2010 models, worth a look

the Boker Trance is also on my wishlist, so is the Kershaw Need Work, although the latter has an overall geometry that may not be to everyone's liking

9. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

If you want a really cheap, but great bang for your buck folding knife, look at the Opinels. All the suggestions above are great knives, I have and used, Byrd, Tenacious, Kabar Dozier, Kershaw Leek, etc. and they have been and are great knives. It's my knife addiction that keeps me buying more knives, not the quality of the ones I have.

10. PocketWad

PocketWad Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased two budget folding knives from Sharpdogs (thanks once again, Marc, for excellent service and super-fast shipping)--an Opinel #8 in stainless steel, and a Cold Steel Kudu. Total came to just over $20.00, with shipping. I'd recommend either knife, and plan to own a few more Opinels. Hope this helps.

11. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

12. dbhn

dbhn Empty Pockets

Ditto. I have a few of them and they (along with the smaller Robin models) are my EDCs. Can't beat the price. At that price I always have a pretty new knife in my pocket. The Meadowlark is almost the same in fit and feel as the Delica - and I have come to like the Byrd teardrop hole better then Spydie's. It is easier to obtain and makes drawing quicker.

13. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

I have a Carbon #8 and it is a superb allrounder, but it doesnt have the gimmicks of modern knives - no clip, no one-hand opening, no fancy scales, no solid lock.
    When I bought my first EDC folder I wanted all of these of course :)
    My eyes were not opened for the Opinel until about a year later.

14. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

All you Meadowlark carriers, do you have any experience with the Rescue model? (excuse me for getting a tad off topic )

15. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Get yourself a Wenger SI or Victorinox Soldier. Both are high quality and solid knives for a cheap price plus you have a can/bottle opener, 2 screwdrivers and an awl. :cool:

16. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Empty Pockets

I bought a Smith & Wesson BorderGuard Desert something from a licensed dealer on Ebay for 24 EUR two years ago.
    It's a nice, sturdy folder and withstood my own use plus a lot of abuse from my Boy Scouts (and you probably know how hard kids can be on things).

17. tirat

tirat Empty Pockets

Personally, I edc a Victorinox Alox Soldier... $20.
    Had a Kershaw Skyline...$30-35 but returned it since the blade length was illegal here(city ordinance???) for edc.
    Intend on getting a Buck 110, it's a staple of any knife collection...$29-30.

Lot's of choices out there but what do you need it for and other criteria you might have?

18. MAZ3ESP

MAZ3ESP Loaded Pockets

Lots of excellent suggestions out here these guys are wealth of information. I can personally attest to the Skyline and Tenacious they are both awesome values. I am not sure if anyone has mentioned the Kershaw Packrat. I have one and it is a great knife for under 50 bucks. It is very fast to open and the shape of the handle is quite comfortable in the hand. Out of the box it is wickedly sharp and Kershaw's serrations are very good. Nutnfancy has a good review on UTube take a look you might like it.

19. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

20. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

smith & wessons are really good knives...they lock up tight, come sharp, and last up to abuse