1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Budget blade - when you need a knife and you can't spend more

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JOE68, Dec 19, 2017.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Seems the Cold Steel SRK in SK5 steel is within the parameters.
    Decent fixed blade although a little thick for some.
    Schrade also has some fixed blades within the price parameters that have received decent reviews.
    To be honest though, for strictly EDC, I'm more of a folding knife guy - as long as you don't count the fact I've occasional packed a paring knife for specific outings.

2. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Huntsman
    Ontario Rat 1

These two are both an outstanding value for the money. The Huntsman is a classic multitool, and the Rat 1 will take care of all your tactical knife needs at a very modest price point.

Moose and JOE68 like this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Slipjoint: If you're going for the tool utility, maybe consider the Victorinox Fieldmaster. Almost the same as the Huntsman -- but instead of the corkscrew you have a Phillips driver. OTOH, no corkscrew for Happy Hour! Need to define priorities....! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Fieldmaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose and Gary Gross like this.
  5. bruno_go

bruno_go Loaded Pockets

Nothing could beat Ontario Rat 1 D2 (U$ 35) + Victorinox Tinker (U$ 17-20). That´s EDC FOR LIFE.

GrayMouser and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Knives that I've owned in that price range include:

Zancudo, Rat 1, Opinel 6 and 8, SAK SuperTinker and Cadet. Not sure if you could get one of these for $60 but I'd shoot for a Spyderco Dragonfly or Roadie.

I've never owned one but heard great things about the Cold Steel Tuff Lite and Kershaw Cryo. You should check out Nick Shabazz Thrifty Thursday inexpensive knife shootout.

7. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

My first choice in that scenario would be a Spyderco UKPK, but that is a smidge over 60 bucks in my area. 68 is what you can get them for.
    The same goes for the Squeak. The Urban is even more expensive.
    The rules state that I'll have to EDC the blade a full year so I will have to meet European knife laws or camp out in the woods for 365 days, which is not an option.
    The closest thing to the UKPK within the given budget is the Byrd Tern.
    Before I put up with 8CR13 again (which would require me to spend the remaining dosh on a sharpening stone), I'd ditch that line of thought and simply get a Manly Wasp again.
    G10 scales will last a year.
    And S90V blade steel is good enough for me ;-)

Moose likes this.
  8. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

If you need, just an inexpensive but quality-folder; check-out Columbia River, Kershaw, Cold Steel, or Shrade to start with. Lots of options for blades under fifty bucks everywhere. 'Inexpensive' is also a relative-term, and depends on how cheap you want to go. If you can get-by with a commercial, utility-knife [boxcutter]; then, by all means, go for it! I have the heavy-duty, retractable Dewalt's, and they just tear-through a nest of cardboard! You can get-em at Home Depot usually; right next to the equally-good Milwaukee brands. Sorry to digress folks, and get-off topic here. Boxcutters are excellent for saving your dedicated-blade(s) for other tasks. Custom makers like Chaves are even offering them in their line-ups. Peace-out!

9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Skyline and a Vic Classic. This was my EDC for about 4 years.

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The knives listed by many above certainly should be candidates -- @bryan123 provides a very nice listing for example.

But things have 'opened up' in this price range over the course of the last year or so.

There is a whole 'cadre' of Chinese knife makers now who are designing, manufacturing, and in some cases working with noted knife designers and providing knives that fall into this price range. These are NOT the guys making knives for the lowest price points in the big box stores (e.g. Walmart, Kmart, Home Depot, etc.). These knives are NOT clones of someone else's products (e.g. Ganzo, Firebird)

The knives often are self-designed and self-branded. Blade steels including S30, S35, VG-10, and even some M390 are not unusual in this group. Look at some of the knives from Kizer, Ruike, Steel Will, Bestech, even WE Knives has 'value lines' now. Go browse the websites of some of the leading on-line knife merchants (e.g., Blade HQ, Knives Plus, DLTrading) to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Most of these are well beyond the Byrd line from Spyderco -- and it appears that even the Byrd line is beginning to use better steels on some of their products.

In short, these are NOT the Chinese made knives are yesteryear!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. MAGA

MAGA Loaded Pockets

Folder: Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2, around $30 or less
    Fixed blade: Mora and Condor Tools

Moose, ThaMac and garza like this.
  12. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I bought a Sanrenmu Land 910 for 10 euros the other day. Then I bought 2 more. I think that was the absolutely best deal in the history of knife deals. ever.

But since OP wants internationally available off-the-shelf knives.. SAK Huntsman or Farmer (cost=3x SRM Land), Opinel#9 (=1 SRM Land), Mora (=1.5 SRM Land)

Moose likes this.
  13. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying this 1776 for a while.
    [​IMG]

Elmiro Dungfoot, garza and Lateck like this.
  14. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I recently went through my knives lately. I grouped them in groups
    3-4 sentimental knives
    7-8 cooking/game processing knives
    8 users out those 3 knives cover 90% of the my EDC only one is more than $60 and you can buy 2 of most of the rest of my users for that price . SAK's Walker, farmer and pioneer. Cold steel pocket bushman fixed blades Mora 2000, Eldris . The other 2 users are a mini griptillion for work and a modified old hickory slicing knife for garden work which leaves me with 40 or so knives that I will probably never use. If I had to pick 2 Vic. Walker and the Mora 2000, although I carry the Eldris more than the 2000

As far as losing a $100 knife if I am not at work I I have a $400-$600 gun on me knife is small change

Moose likes this.
  15. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Was reading through this thread with interest, and realized I'd posted in it over a year ago. Since last year, I've culled all SAKs except for a handful of 58mm's. Currently working up the motivation to cull my standalone folders, because I hate selling on eBay.

In the last year, I've largely used only Classics, several utility knives, food knives, and a Hen and Rooster Congress that is really good at getting into crevices to cut hair our of the roller in the vacuum.

I guess what I'm trying to say is my choices haven't changed in the past 13 months. So, my Classic, the Milwaukee mini Fastback, cheapish LM, like the Rev or Wingman...those would do me. In fact, I'm posting from a hotel in San Diego and only brought my Classic and LM Kick, have not needed more.

16. Tony Crawford

Tony Crawford Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Ontario Rat 1 Collection

SwampDonkey, keycutter, Moose and 3 others like this.
  17. Tony Crawford

[​IMG]
    Mora Collection. Amazon sale for $10 each

sungame, dorebow, Moose and 5 others like this.
  18. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Those scales really rock on those RAT's!

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Loaded Pockets

Rat-1 in D2 steel

Moshe ben David and Moose like this.
  20. Tony Crawford

Bought the Rat1 in D2 with cf scales. Hated the CF scales. Someone was selling Two aus 8 knives with those scales for $50 on ebay for both. Swapped the black scales on the D2 blade. Ordered the orange backspacer from Etsy for $8. Got the backspacer and he included a green one for free.

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.