1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Budget blade - when you need a knife and you can't spend more

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JOE68, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

As I sold like 30-40 knifes last year, I could not agree more.

Plus, the teenagers. Oh, boy! The laws here are pretty relaxed, but you need to be 18+ and I am not willing to sell to a 15 year old. They try to get it shipped with bad Photoshopped scans of IDs. Pretend they are older when you meet them in person and have no ID on them (although you specifically mentioned it). Offer you 10 bucks more if you sell it to them (really?). You name it.

And let’s mention the slightly informed. In German we call that Halbwissen. Those people say things, that make the hair on your arms stand up. Had someone ask me, if the knife would stand spine wacking and how often you could do it, before it would take a damage.

My best sell though was a Spyderco Phoenix White, where I made some serious buck. All is sold meanwhile and I am down to the trifecta, a PM2 S110V, a Leatherman, and three folding and a fixed with sentimental value. Honestly, I am glad that I am out of the rat race. Though there is this one knife, that...

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

2. alejestem

alejestem Empty Pockets

Victorinox Nomad :)

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

3. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Diffrent markets I guess?
    Here in Australia I have 9 blades up for sale currently so it will be interesting to see what happens

4. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

This is kind of happening to me, because most of my knives are in a locked ammo box, I can't find the key, and I don't want to waste seven dollars lopping off the lock...yet. Only things left outside the box were a couple Classics, a Leatherman kb, and a Ladybug. It's been a couple weeks, and I haven't felt the need to get my other knives, although I'm keeping an eye out for the key.

If I were to just start over, I'd settle for a Classic, a Stanley knife, and something else larger and kinda cheap. Opinel 7, a thin 91mm SAK, Gerber LST, something like that.

5. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Visit the southord or sparrows site for your lock pick needs.

I personally just ordered a D2 mini cutjack. Should fit the bill for you too

6. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

A utility knife, SAK, and something "bigger" than a SAK (usually locking folder or fixed blade) seems to be a recurring theme.
    One doesn't really need expensive blades, but the choices need to be reliable and offer value for money.

Water-Rat and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

The thing is that it depends entirely on what it is you actually do in a day.
    If I’m going to pick just one knife it will be a locking folder, if you have tried to do extensive food prep with a utility knife or cut up a ton of boxes with a SAK then you will understand, a proper dedicated knife with appropriate blade shape and quality steel is needed.

In my life I use my knive for box cutting, food prepping and the occasional ad hoc repair the thing is never going to be smashed through a log so I choose a grind that’s thin behind the edge, of about 3”,has a fine tip and of a steel in the VG-10 range (some lesser and some greater).

Moose, RoadWizard, JOE68 and 2 others like this.
  8. The Last Crow On The Wire

The Last Crow On The Wire Loaded Pockets

You're Still hunting for a strider?

9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Depends, a lot. Maybe(!) SMF or something for a reasonable price. Though I am pretty broke at the moment from getting a new phone. First time in several years I opted for the maximum.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

#69 ThaMac, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  10. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Task at hand will always dictate the cutting tool, which is why some people carry multiples.
    A lot of times people get caught up in buying expensive knives simply because it the latest one they've seen/heard about.
    One doesn't necessarily have to go for these.
    Perfectly good cutting tools abound in the budget blade category.
    I'd rather explore a $50 knife that works well, than a $200 knife that is the "in" thing.

11. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

But that means as well, that you will need and (hard) use a/the knife. Actually, I don’t NEED a knife, though I want to carry one. There is only one thing to do...

[​IMG]

Moose and JOE68 like this.
  12. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I decided that a "dedicated" tool box knife was in order.
    I grabbed a Milwaukee folder and utility knife pack that was under $20 at Home Depot
    This way if I'm doing a project and someone asks for a knife, I won't cringe as much when they misuse the folding knife.
    And I figured the red handle makes it visible if its dropped amongst debris more so than one with a plain black handle.

Moshe ben David and jabe1 like this.
  13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My budget choice is the same as my EDC knife today: the good old Victorinox Pioneer.

It is small and lightweight enough for EDC, yet just about large and solid enough for most real life every day tasks. Also, it comes with two handy screwdrivers and an awl - all in a sleek aluminium package.

Fit and finish are great, and while the steel isn't exactly stellar, it does take a keen edge. It also holds that edge reasonably well with light to medium duty.

All in all, I think the humble Pioneer is just about the ideal EDC choice for a semi-rural writer like yours truly - budget or not.

14. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

As it happens a SAK Huntsman would be top of mine, along with a torch, lighter, pair of decent quality pliers and a PZ2 screwdriver.

JOE68, Moshe ben David and Moose like this.
  15. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

As I grow older I notice that I have enough knives to see me out and then some.

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Even with my few at my 50+ age, agreed. Only hope someone will sell them at he right price, when I go to Valhalla or Fólkvangr.

JOE68 and Moose like this.
  17. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

It's that age and experience this was meant to tap into.
    What if an experienced knife user did lose all their "super blades" and wanted a knife.
    Based on all their years, the brands they've owned, the ones that felt good in hand, etc but now only given certain funds --- what choice would they make.
    Beginners need this information, experienced people like to see different things and whether they would fit into their choice of blades , so it's a win all the way around.

18. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm not an experienced user but out of my modest collection I would replace first:

Vic manager
    Vic cadet (Alox)
    LM skeletool (although I might cheat and either get the plane edge or full serrated version)
    If I'm allowed 4, I'd get a wingman.

Those are the only ones I'd replace quickly - I use them a lot. The rest I'd decide on once the insurance money came through. Sure I'd miss them, but actively replace each and everyone identically? Probably not.

Actually I've reread the OP

EDIT Vic spartan and the wingman. Couldn't afford the rest!

EDIT EDIT this is actually really hard, I was hoping to have an evogrip 16 to replace my wenger and a wingman but the budget won't go that far!

EDIT EDIT EDIT Nope, evogrip 16 and a cheap pair of pliers (they don't make the wenger any more).

Done. Honest.

Last edited by Tallboyjim, Jan 20, 2018
    #78 Tallboyjim, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Moose, Moshe ben David and JOE68 like this.
  19. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Opinel.

If you want a good knife that’s cheap, there is nothing better as a knife at this price.

JOE68 likes this.
  20. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I like that one a lot, actually I would have probably gotten each of my kids one of those instead of the field masters. Couple of good looking used versions on eBay that would be within the price point of the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Lellobeetle like this.