1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Budget blade - when you need a knife and you can't spend more

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JOE68, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I doubt that particular Sandvik steel is so expensive.
    Even if it's 9Cr18MoV, the edge retention on the new Sanrenmu knives labeled as Sandvik 12C27 is really amazing for the price paid.
    But don't forget, China is producing steel like there's no tomorrow, twice as much as anybody needs, so the subsidise it and flood the world wih cheap steel. It's maybe one reason how they can produce such a good quality for nearly nothing.

Moose likes this.
  2. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I’d probably go with a SAK Fieldmaster. Then depending on what had left, I’d try getting a small fixed blade or stronger folder like Ontario RAT, CRKT Minimalist, Kershaw Cryo, Kershaw Buck, etc.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

For most of the Chinese stuff I'd agree with you. But there are at least 3 who I have come to believe are making a move out of the clone/piracy murk. These are Sanrenmu, Ganzo, and Kizer. Probably not fair to lump Kizer in even with the other two; Kizer stuff is really already more in the world of Japan (think Spyderco's plant in Seki City), Taiwan (Spyderco plant in Taichung City).

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Yep, they are cranking out steels of their own like there is no tomorrow, so why would they bother to import it? I'm confident that they can copy anything they set their minds to, as long as they can make money doing it. It seems to me more likely that they are using a local equivalent which is in this case as good as the original steel. They can produce high quality products. They can produce good original designs. They can even produce good steel. I just wish they would do all those things and label them as what they really are instead of trying to bamboozle us into thinking they're even better.

Moose likes this.
  5. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I think I paid $5.25 for a Sanrenmu 605. This is the best small EDC blade I have - exceptional design and construction for the money. I have many mych more expensive blades but tend to take the 605 as its not intimidating, does most jobs well and if I lose it I have a backup. Everydaycommentary reviewed it so check that out.
    A bit bigger is the Enlan EM1 and bigger still its cousin the EL1. Both are exceptional designs and builds for about $8-10

Moose and JOE68 like this.
  6. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

"To the OP, seriously? If my house is gone and my gear is gone, replacing a pocketknife is so far down my list of priorities that it wouldn't be visible without a good telescope. I'd probably buy a couple of paring knives and a roll of duct tape to make a sheath"

The premise was to create a situation so that responses wouldn't be "save up and buy XX brand", hence the absurd situation.
    From a certain standpoint not everyone is willing, nor wants in some cases, high end knives and this was a way to have those responding stick within the parameters.
    Simply by looking at the responses, this will allow beginning and experienced users to explore options that don't break the bank.
    It also has the secondary function of bringing to light knives that may not get mentioned by those who are "knife snobs", or "fan boys".

I do find it interesting that when people need cutting tools within a certain price point, there are brands that fit the bill as being value for money choices.
    When one has "lost" their high end super steels it's great to see that their knife knowledge leads them to particular budget blades.

Moose likes this.
  7. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

The premise may be a little overboard BUT it has a good base.
    Here's a real world one, it happened to me, airplane travel! I did not take my multitool or knife(s) due to not wanting to loose them.
    I got to my destination and promptly went to a Wal-Mart to buy a knife and MT. Now this trip I went and bought some good ones, Leatherman and Kershaw. But had I read this thread before hand, I could have saved money..... (The thread was not here at that time).
    So, this is a great thread. I keep coming back to see the replies. Thanks Joe68.

Lateck,

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

If I am in a “:censored: hit the fan” situation I’d be frugal and grab me an Ontario RAT I. The II would be a tad small for my hands.

If it’s about a controlled “I’m out there” situation, it’d be a SAK Camping. Talking about a flooding or something, where things are under control but still messy.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

Moose and JOE68 like this.
  9. Moshe ben David

We all need to start recognizing that just like here in the US (or Japan or Germany or Taiwan or...), not all Chinese are the same nor do they all operate at the same levels of engineering, design, quality, etc., competence. Unlike maybe even 20 years ago, there are independent Chinese companies, and their business community is stratified. Same thing here in the US but no one typically talks about US business as if it were a monolith.

As I described above, some Chinese knife people are 'breaking out' from the pack and distinguishing themselves. This is also happening in for example appliances -- a Chinese company named Haier is now exporting to the US as well as many other countries. A closer comparison to the knife world are Chinese manufacturers of pens. Several are now self-branding rather than just shipping out fakes: Hero, Jinhao, Duke are a few that have become both well known and more accepted for quality products.

So absolutely yes, far too many Chinese companies still are using a clone/piracy business model. I know from personal experience the issue was not technical expertise. It was and still is for too many a certain laziness and lack of financial resources that resulted in them taking this route. It will change. Just as it did years ago for Japan, for Taiwan, for South Korea, etc.

But for China try not to blink. You may miss the moment of change!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose and Adahn like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

I've done the same. Depending on where your travels lead you, sometimes it is even easier to stop in a hardware store of some kind (I've used Ace Hardware often when traveling), one of the 'big box' home centers, or even if you're deeper into the country, Tractor Supply. I've done so and managed to equip myself with pocket blades at low cost for the duration of a trip.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Good suggestions. I'm not so sure of how easy it is though to walk into ANY sort of B&M store and find an Ontario Rat. Either I or II ! See dialogs above from myself and from @Lateck. Sourcing at local shops like Walmart, Ace Hardware, etc can quickly yield a blade and/or MT though not necessarily the brands we all usually focus on!

And yes, I'm being USA centric here; but I'm sure similar strategies would work with stores by other names in other countries.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

JOE68 likes this.
  12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

If you do your home work on the interwebs, case you wanna buy whatever, you’ll find something at your price point in the expected quality. Well if you are realistic that is.

Guess what I wanted to say is, that’s what the interwebs is good for. As long as you stay critical. There is always THAT Youtuber, who is “Why Spyderco is trash”, just to find out they are a sulky baby, about the way they did not feel pampered enough.

Moose likes this.
  13. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

If you go THAT strict, it would be a SAK or mostly a no-name in Europe. Maybe you find a Herbertz or Böker, but mostly not even that.

Moose likes this.
  14. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’d have to pick the Ontario RAT 1 or 2 depending on the size you wanted to carry. Other than that the Sanrenmu 7010 would be a great choice -these are usually south of $15 on eBay. I’ve owned and used both extensively and they are excellent blades.

Moose likes this.
  15. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I experienced the air travel situation as well.
    Once I touched down, I went to the store and bought a Buck folder (not a 110) and a SAK that was on sale, as well as a padded envelope to send them home before the return flight.
    I've found some frugal options that give value for money over the years.
    I don't care where they are manufactured as long as they do the job I ask of them.
    Ontario Knife Company has the Joe Pardue series which turned out to be a good value.
    Real Steel knives shows promise. (just recently bought one, and so far it is decent but I haven't had it long enough for a true recommendation)
    I have Spyderco, Benchmade, and other "recommended" brands, but the budget blade category seems to have some "diamonds in the rough" and that is why I started the thread.
    Whether you call them "truck knives", "tool box knives", or your "main carry blade" the idea is that you have a blade that is an option to use, and/or slightly abuse that doesn't break the bank.
    Personally I'd rather "lose" (ie airport security, theft, etc) a $30 blade than a $300 one.

At some point I guess I should edit the original post and put the brands that have been recommended.

Moshe ben David, Adahn and Lateck like this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

May I correct you?

The correct term is "airport security theft". Without the comma ;)

17. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

folder: SAK Farmer or Huntsman _ 30
    fixed: Mora _15

hardware store:
    cheap wrench-pliers _ 5–10
    folding saws can be had for _ 10–15
    cheap utility knife for real dirty stuff _ 1–5

so that meets 60 more or less.

locking folder: sanrenmu 710 is hard to beat for work. _ 15
    and opinel is great for light duty and food. 10–20 depending on size

Last edited by flux, Dec 23, 2017
    #37 flux, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Moose, JOE68 and Moshe ben David like this.
  18. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

If everything was gone and I needed a functional knife now that had to last a while I would definitely start with a Mora and then the best SAK I could get with the money left within my budget.

Moose likes this.
  19. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Yes you may, especially if you got pulled aside for special treatment. :) LOL

20. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Did you ever reject a full body scan? We did, just because we wanted. They do take that personal, I think.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.