1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buck Stockman 301

Discussion in 'Knives' started by troutster52, Mar 15, 2019.

1. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

My grandfather on my Dad's side just passed away and we laid him to rest in his home out west. I was proud to inherit his pocket knife, a Buck Stockman 301, that obviously has seen some use, and an apparent attempt on his part to sharpen it. I don't think I'll use it much, but owning it and handling it remind me of the kind of man he was, and his often carried pocket knife is a great token to remember him by.

Pics attached for those of you that are interested. I am interested to know how anything about this model, particularly its age. My guess is 80s manufacture? The picture isn't great, but I really like the emblem with the knife and hammer as I don't remember seeing that before.

[​IMG]buck1 by Chris Trout, on Flickr

[​IMG]buck2 by Chris Trout, on Flickr

[​IMG]buck3 by Chris Trout, on Flickr

[​IMG]buck4 by Chris Trout, on Flickr

2. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

My understanding is, that the Stockman 301 was introduced by Buck in ca. 1966. It's the largest 3-blade knife marketed by Buck. It was produced under contract by both Schrade, and Camillus for the company. Current incarnations are produced at the Buck factory with heat-treat by Paul Bos. After the mid-80's, all 301's were made with 420HC stainless steel. The scales on new-versions are made of black Valox. The 301 is one of Buck's classical icons, to say the very least. A very nice legacy, left-to-you, by your grandfather. Cherish it! Cheers.

#2 Elmiro Dungfoot, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM
  3. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

Thank you!

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have a Stockman purchased in 1978.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I will add that the Buck Stockman 301 is still in production. I have one amongst my several stockman pattern knives.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

My grandpa always carried one just like it.

When he passed away my uncle got it.

Grandma later gave me and my brothers some other pocket knives that belonged to him. We all laughed cause we always thought that 301 was the ONLY knife he had.

troutster52 likes this.